Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Returning Serves!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
-ljl- View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -ljl- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Returning Serves!!!!!
    Posted: 06/27/2006 at 10:16am

Anyone knows why when i receive serves from some players. the ball will go abit high above the net... and i got a smash back! I try to make it lower but it usually hits the net.

I think it is because i cant see the amount of spin served.... but how can i know how much spin does the ball brings?

Blade:Yasaka Gatien Extra
Sponsored Links

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2006 at 11:26am
That is what experience is made for ! Watch carefully your oponent gesture. My first coach taught me to direct the ball where the bat comes from. It it supposed to counter the spin. Also practice a lot short returns. These are the keys of modern TT. It forbids the other to loop kill and enables you to start agression. Do not hesitate to attack long serves.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
rohitsu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rohitsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2006 at 1:05pm
yepp a lot of it is trying to counter the spin: going the other way, always try to watch the ball and see what type of spin is coming at u
DatSuKid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DatSuKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2006 at 4:15pm
I push a bit long and low which I need to change, however as long as my opponent gives a backspin or dead ball it is easy to return with a ton of backspin using the penhold push where you point the tip at the ball.

The key is to make your paddle parallel to the table and push off the bounce. Also pay attention to the sidespin and tip your paddle 2-3 cm away from where your opponent wants the sidespin to go. This should produce a short push or a long one but it'll be low to the net making it hard to loop or kill.
Hard work and self-determination will surpass talent.

Blade-Homemade BirchBalsaBullet (3B JSX)
FH - DHS G666
BH - LKT PRO XT
phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2006 at 4:38pm
Yes, to second what DatSuKid said...

Close your blade more...
Blade: Whatever is close
Rubber Sheet: Whatever still has some grip.
alink91 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alink91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2006 at 6:54pm

generally that happens with 3 scenarios

1. opponent serves sidespin

in this case you must angle you paddle to the opposite way it spins. So if the ball naturally goes to your opponents bh, the return it to their fh.

2. opponent serves topspin

close your racket and LOOP

3. opponent serves dead

in this case, dont push or chop hard, u can loop it, flick it, or drop it.

These are the only things that I can think of

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2006 at 11:17pm
Practice reading the spin, also relax your wrist more.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
Braveheart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braveheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2006 at 11:19am

Originally posted by TT_Freak TT_Freak wrote:

Practice reading the spin, also relax your wrist more.

:approved: agreed and....practice...practice...practice !

Blade - Butterly X5 balsa carbo Off;
Front -Donic JO Platin soft 2mm
Back hand - BUTTERFLY Challenger 1.5 mm (short pips)
Style - Close table attack
ryu seungminfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2006 at 11:33am
look at the ball. looking at the words of the ball can help. see how fast it is rotating, so u can read the spin better. hearing the sound the ball hitting the table can also help read spin better. more spin, less sound. less spin more sound
blade:kokutaku super
rubber:xiom omega 3
right hander

nothing without labour
tatan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2006 at 2:52pm
may be the amount of underspin deceived you.try to see
the contact area & the time it takes to live the bat surface.if the blde held horizontal then expect heavy under spin.if the slop is towards the net then expect varaity(no spin,topspin,long).see the wrist.if you are not sure push it long to the vacant corner of the table.

IT IS PRELIMINARY.YOU HAVE TO MODIFY IT ACCORDING TO YOUR
GAME AND THE STRENGTH OF YOUR OPPONENET

butterfly jonyer h an
fh sriver max
bh mark v max
tatan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2006 at 2:56pm
alink91 made a good point.if the slop of the bat is other than towards the net always except sidespin.it also a matter of controlled flick of wrist
tatan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2006 at 2:58pm
alink91 made a good point.if the slop of the bat is other than towards the net always except sidespin.it also a matter of controlled flick of wrist
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2006 at 8:55pm
The hard part of returning serves is to recognise what spin is coming and how much.  Then you can either add spin or overpower the spin.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2006 at 10:06pm
backhand loops and fast backhand flicks always work though not all the time esp against side spin
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2006 at 2:20pm
I agree with most of whats been said. I would add this:
If your bat is motionless the opponents spin wil kick to the max.

So a good technique is hold your blade vertical when hitting and push through the ball aiming for the centre line of the table. Also dont worry so much about the sidespin - at a higher level that is more to disguise the chop or topspin. Just try to develop your awareness of how your opponet has hit the ball. Just a little finger pressure to close or open the racket at the last second when your are confident of the spin. Its important as one of the other guys said to make sure your stroke is smooth and horizontal as it guides the ball as thoug on tram lines. Finally when you are not playing in the match just try and read the spin from where you are sitting . hope this helps
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Jason7036 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason7036 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2006 at 7:22pm
Wait are you talking about reserves?
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2006 at 10:04pm

Adding to what people say. 

Pay attention to the the ball.

Look at it being tossed and coming down. 

Pay attention to the way he contacts the ball. 

Get your body ready for whatever you're attempting.  

Determine the distance of the ball.

Loop when is long but wait till the ball drops a little.  You do not have to go all out and just take your time returning that ball with great control.

Push short when serve is short.

Get ready for some action.

BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
AZNpenholdloop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZNpenholdloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2006 at 4:21am
If you miss a couple in a row, try doing what I do. I let it drop off the table and chop it hard with sidespin, its kinda like when those defensive players let the ball drop way down then chop it back with alot of spin
Avalox 550
FH: Blue Whale II Factory Tuned 38 deg.
BH: White Shark II Factory Tuned
georgeboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgeboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2006 at 3:49pm

I agree with Azn I was playing with a guy who had a lot of tricky services. A player at the next table came over to me and said, dont play the ball  too quickly step back a bit allow it to spin out some then play your stroke. Try it you'll like it.  

georgeboy
thisishui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thisishui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2006 at 7:43pm

this one serve that i have trouble returning is top/left to my backhand side, its a short serve too, so i cant loop it forehand flick it back.....i tried to the drop shot, but it goes long and goes out....is there a way to drop it back without it going too far.

please respond ty

thisishui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thisishui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2006 at 7:45pm
top/left spins**
-ljl- View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -ljl- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2006 at 10:09am
i think u could push it forward... like wat penhold usually does...
thetuxedo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetuxedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2006 at 11:06am
Step forward and brush the ball with a verticallly closed face. No need for a big backswing, and doesn't require a long follow-through. And since it is spinning to your BH side, you can just stroke it down the line (opponent's FH).
Butterfly Kreanga Carbon ULC:
FH - Joola Green Power Energy X-Tra 2.0
BH - Joola Green Power Energy X-Tra 2.0

waldiii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waldiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2006 at 2:33pm
One of the most important point in receiving short service is that try to receive it before rising ball (espacialy in backspin and mix).
If you can improve this ability you can defraud your opponent and so it won't be so higher than net.
Blade: KLS
FH: Bryce
BH: Nittaku hammand
the_ownage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_ownage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2006 at 4:59am
wat if they serve a short but alota topspin. wat do i do
-ljl- View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -ljl- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2006 at 5:45am
drop shot ....
ryu seungminfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2006 at 11:15am
i also have problem receiving serve. mainly is because of the spin i'm been deceived by. my friend serve slightly side topspin ball which i thought was backspin... tried to do drop shot, flew out of the table...
blade:kokutaku super
rubber:xiom omega 3
right hander

nothing without labour
reederc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reederc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2006 at 2:23am

i have a question i play penhold and i handle back spin and top spin fine it is side spin that i have trouble with especially is the serve side spin to me back hand side with spin turning to my left so that if you are looking at the table fro my prospective it flies off the table to my left i can never seem to get it far enough over to sta on the table and if i try to cheat over them they serve down the line and i cant get there so how do i handle this serve

729 bomb penhold
ltk XP
cream trancend
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2006 at 3:19am
Can you use the push-block to attack? Do you have the RPB? If you answer yes to one of those attack it.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic