Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SteveO View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New rubbers
    Posted: 03/24/2015 at 12:10pm
Hey everybody, i'm new here, hope you can help me out. The season is almost over, and now i'm thinking about choosing some other rubbers. My blade is Butterfly BalsaCarboX5, with T05FX 1.9 on my FH and Solcion 1.7 on my BH. I like to play very spinny serves with my BH/FH, and controlled but very spinny open-ups with the FH. With my BH i tend to control the game more with pushes and blocking/counterdriving. I was thinking about the Rasant/Rasant Powersponge/T80FX/Tenzone Ultra SF as an alternative for my FH T05FX, but i can't seem to find a rubber with equal characteristics as Solcion for my BH, since it's one of the softest rubbers around, but i want to keep my control and ability to serve with a high amount of spin. Any suggestions are welcome, for FH aswell as my BH.
Sponsored Links

Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 4:49pm
I think you can try Rakza 7 Soft - it is very very soft (so soft I did not like it and play with regular Rakza 7), and it has really enormous spin and great control. It seems everything you wanted for your BH. On FH I guess you can just stick to T05FX, but if you want to change Adidas P7 is similar to it and I like it more. But T05FX is excellent and if it has been working for you no need to change it.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
SteveO View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 10:17pm
I can understand why you would suggest the Rakza 7 Soft. I've looked around for some details about it along with some reviews, and it seems that it seem to tacky for my purpose. Although it has real good control and is very soft, it is rather sensitive to spin, while my Solcion is practically insensitive to whatever spin. All my teammates as well as most of my competitors in the league say that they have a lot of difficulties with the serves of my BH, as well as the fact that it always seems as if the ball "drops dead" whenever i push/block with it. Since i have taken this "attribute/quality" to my advantage and adapted my game around it (by utilising a lot of controlled but very spinny open-ups with my FH as well as BH), i hope i can find a fitting alternative for Solcion with the same qualities, since Butterfly doesn't sell it anymore. Concerning my FH, i have played a session with the Rasant Powersponge of a teammate of mine, and it really doesn't give me the feeling that i want to have. Although it has very good spin/speed with good control, i have the feeling i lack that "edge" that Tenergy gives me due to the high throw angle. Also i don't quite feel when the ball touches my bat, like i do with the 05FX. But i find that the 05FX is sometimes less forgiving, and balls go too far and go over the table, or when you hit it flat, it goes in the net too often. That's why i am concidering to switch to the 80FX, since it has the same characteristics as the 05FX, but with slightly more control. The other option is that i switch to the Tenzone Ultra SF, since i have read some really good reviews/comments about it Smile

Edited by SteveO - 03/24/2015 at 11:08pm
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2015 at 11:36pm
hmmm, from your answer, it seems you are not a very experienced player... especially in terms of what equipment does and does not do. I hope I do not offend you by saying so.

As for the rubbers:

Yes Rakza 7 soft is very spin sensitive unfortunately - it is especially sensitive to heavy top spin and side spin. It fairs better against underspin / chop, both lifting it and pushing back easily.

However, ANY rubber which is going to give you monster spin (very spinny opening) IS by definition more spinny and therefore ALSO more spin sensitive (the spinnier the rubber the more spin sensitive it is). 

Rakza 7 soft is not tacky (the ball does NOT stick to the topsheet) at all, but it IS grippy, and the sponge is very soft so the topsheet grips, sponge compresses and when the ball is released the spin is amazing. If you are very very sensitive to spin - best to go for something like Sriver G3 which can allow you decent opening spin and is not sensitive to opponent spin - but no doubt it's less spinny than Rakza 7 soft. 

About the FH - if some balls go long and others on flat hits hit the net - it is not a question of control the rubber has.... it is more a technique issue, but could be a blade issue if you play with a fast blade - my suggestion is 5 ply wood blade rated Off- . I play with OSP Virtuoso and it is the best blade I could ever want - more than enough power, great control and enough high throw to flat hit when needed.

As for a rubber when generally can help u keep the ball on the table more with the FH, and still give you the same characteristics as the T05fx - as I said Adidas P7 comes to mind - I like it best in 2.0mm it should be fine because after 3 weeks its not a fast rubber. (it starts off fast and bouncy - a bit too bouncy) Spin is amazing and flat hits work a lot better than Tenergy.

T80FX is an interesting try too.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 12:02am
Slap on what is on sale after adding some judicious use of baby oil and that sucker will be right where you want it soft mushy sponge.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
SteveO View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 10:03am
You don't offend me by it, as you are just trying to help me. And about "experienced", now it's my 10th year i've been playing at competition level. I don't know how i can compare my rating with the USATT rating, since we have a different system of rating in Belgium. We have national leagues as well as provincial leagues, and for the moment i am playing in the 3rd of 5 provincial leagues Smile I understand that any rubber which is very spinny, also is more spin sensitive. But for example, a rubber like the T05FX feels too spin-sensitive to me in terms of the short game/blocking. On my backhand i really prefer a rubber with a lot of control, but not very spin-sensitive. I hope you understand what i mean Smile i have already played with the G3FX in the past, and i think it's a little too fast for my backhand. I just like a rather "slow" rubber (compared to Tenergy, Rasant and rubbers like that), but with a lot of control and still enough spin (while being not too sensitive too incoming spin). I know it's not easy to explain, but i hope you can help me. As for my FH, judging from other reviews and comments, it seems that the P7 has a rather hard surface. That's why i would consider the Ultra SF, or the 80FX.

Edited by SteveO - 03/25/2015 at 10:03am
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 1:54pm
I was going to suggest Butterfly Roundell Soft, but if G3 FX is too fast this probably is also.  How about something like Nittaku Zalt?  Or is that too slow?  Not sure how hard the sponge is on that one, haven't actually been able to hit with it yet, I know someone that uses it, and the description seems to fit.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2015 at 2:16pm
You should try the regular Yasaka Rakza 7 or the soft variant, depends how soft feeling you like the rubber. Both are superb for controlled spin loops and also for driving the ball. They have a longer contact time as the ball sinks into the sponge more. For your backhand and blocking and counterdriving you could give Donic Acuda S3 a go, either that or Baracuda, both are superb backhand rubbers.
SteveO View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2015 at 11:25am
For my BH it will be the Rakza 7 soft or the Tackifire Special Soft, since they provide a lot of spin and control, while being very soft. As for the FH i am looking at the 80FX (a little more control then my current 05FX but lower throw angle), Tenzone Ultra SF (overall one of the best FH rubbers, and with similar characteristics as the 05FX) or the M3 (slower than the 05FX, but softer surface as well as an even higher throw angle, which i really like). I was thinking of 1.9 for the BH, and 2.1 for the FH, or maybe even 1.7 on the BH, unless that may be too thin?
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2015 at 1:01pm
M3 could be a good choice for your forehand and yes it has a killer throw angle so if you like that then you should enjoy it. 1.7 might be a little thin on the BH, try the 1.9 first as you want a little more sponge thickness to let the ball sink in and extend the dwell time to achieve more spin and to help absorb speed when blocking.
SteveO View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2015 at 2:17pm
Thanks for the advice/tips, i know it's not easy to consider everything someone is looking for in a rubber. It's just that i make a lot of points due to my very spinny back/side-spin serves or my controlled spinny open-ups/loops with a high arc :) i have read some more reviews, and it seems the M3 would suit my BH very well. It feels a little softer than the R7S, has good control in the short game as well as for blocking, and extended dwell time to open-up with a lot of spin. I have the choice between 1.8/2.0, so i guess i'll go for the 1.8 M3 on my BH. That leaves me the forehand, where i am left with the 80FX or the Ultra SF, probably 2.0/2.1 thickness
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2015 at 3:22pm
BH rubber:

if you are going for 42.5 degree, you may end up sacrificing some spin on opening loops.

Also being more bouncy, 42.5 degree sponged rubbers will increase serve errors if you want to mix short and long serves

So i don't think you will like powersponge.

I have exactly same situation like you, very spinny BH serves, opening loops with BH. But i also need some bit of comfort in blocking and counter looping... or else opponent selectively exploits that.

I found while 1Q-Xd can generate extremely spinny and unblockable opening loops; and also blocks well. It is more demanding in counterloops. Serves are good though.

I tried T64, T80, Rhyzm, Sigma varieties, Omega V, vega japan etc. I figured i need spinny but low throw rubber with good speed but not crazy speed.

I am finnaly settling down for Rasant grip (45degree).... order by second sheet last week. It is the best balance for me among the contradicting properties of being good fast but tamed over the table, spinny serves, blocks, counterloops, and while it does give the feel of loading spin...the ball doesn't hang too much to end up with high throw.

you may want to try it. I by from the european shops or ttnpp. at timstt.be it costs around $31 including shipping.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2015 at 8:21am
Debraj: how is Rasant Grip In BH punch relative to T05 or MX-P?

Edited by slevin - 03/28/2015 at 8:22am
SteveO View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2015 at 4:12pm
I had the opportunity to play with the R7S on my BH yesterday, and it just felt too quick for my style of play. I also found it way more sensitive to spin in comparison to my current rubber, as well as a noticeable lower throw arc. My training partner played with the Xiom Omega IV Elite on his BH, and i asked him if i could give it a try. And that suits me a lot better, with similar characteristics as my current Solcion, but with slightly more control/spin. So now i have doubts whether to chose the M3 or the Omega IV Elite as my BH-rubber. As for the FH, i am not planning to choose the 80FX, since it has noticeable lower throw arc, and has less spin but more speed. So for my FH it will be the Tenzone Ultra SF or the P7, of which i have read a lot of good things about it. Any comments?
SteveO View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 7:34am
?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 8:09am
Thinking over rubber choices endlessly makes you sound like someone who loves the sound of his voice or the look of his writing. In the end, none of us are so good or bad that we can't adjust to a rubber and get at least 98% of our playing ability back over a relatively short period of time. The only issue is whether we enjoy playing with the rubber and that is purely a personal issue. Just get the P7 and the Omega IV Elite. Spending too much time on this shows more about your personality than than you made a great choice. I have tested both in the past and found them to be good rubbers for a modern offensive game.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
SteveO View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 8:30am
Ok thank you. I was just wondering what the differences are between those rubbers, nothing more. No need to make this personal or something Smile
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 9:00am
You should see some of the 40 email threads I get from people who are afraid to invest $30 in the wrong version of the premade buster.  This guy's not even in the ballpark.

"But, if I get 1.8, won't I loose spin?  I like to hit the ball hard."

"But if I get 2.2, can I still push and block?"

over and over

Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 9:00am
No, not personal at all.  Just trying to remind you how these things look sometimes.  Those are both very good rubbers.  They are different in terms of sponge hardness, but the truth is that even if I told you which one I preferred (P7), the only way you can know which is better is to play with both.  How you found your new backhand choice (Omega IV Elite) is usually the right way to find something - test your friend's rubber.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/31/2015 at 9:12am
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 9:06am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

You should see some of the 40 email threads I get from people who are afraid to invest $30 in the wrong version of the premade buster.  This guy's not even in the ballpark.

over and over

Yeah, because you are nice like that and the general guidelines make rubber choices sound more scientific than they really are.  Now if you kindly told them that ultimately, there is no substitute for hours spent training, and that people who are buying a premade buster and think they swing hard usually don't know what it means to swing really hard (as in they lack the technique), some of these conversations might be easier, but I guess not. 
Cybershape Carbon
SteveO View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 9:31am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

over and over

That's really over the top offcourse, i get your point :-) It's not my intention to overanalyze or anything, i just would like to make the best choice possible.

NextLevel: i can imagine it sometimes looks off the chart, sorry if it looked like that. Offcourse you have to invest many hours of training, since the rubber doesn't work for you. It's you who has top have a good technique/stroke as well as the ball-feeling/footwork to match it. I guess I'll go for the P7 2.0 on the FH/Omega IV Elite 2.0 on my BH. I can always go for the Tenzone (Ultra) SF after these rubbers wear off, thanks for the advice/patience Wink
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 9:48am
Originally posted by SteveO SteveO wrote:

It's not my intention to overanalyze or anything, i just would like to make the best choice possible.

The quest for 'best choice' usually leads to folks overanalyzing their rubber/blade decision. I suspect there is no such thing as 'best choice', but plenty of 'good enough' ones. 
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2015 at 10:35am
If there is no enemy within,theenemy outside can do us no harm- African proveeb

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
SteveO View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2015 at 3:30pm
I purchased the Omega IV Elite on my BH, and the Tenzone Ultra SF on my FH, both 2.0. Tomorrow i will have my first training session with it, can't wait :-)
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2015 at 4:39am
Hi SteveO. What is your classement? I am C6....
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
SteveO View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2015 at 8:20pm
Kolev, currently i am D6. Next year i'll probably be D4
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2015 at 7:35pm
I play in Wemmel , Hurricane. How about you?
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
SteveO View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2015 at 9:02pm
Grimminge, between Aalst and Brussels. i play in the 3rd provincial division now
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic