Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Critique Requested!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BinaryLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Critique Requested!
    Posted: 04/03/2015 at 12:49am
Hey guys! I recently recorded a match between me and a friend and would like to hear any critique on the way I play and how I can improve. Link is below. Apologies in advance for the sub-optimal footage. I didn't have a camera stand, so I just asked my friend to record it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y8xZQOtaY0

(I'm the guy on the left in the yellow shirt.)

Edited by BinaryLoop - 04/03/2015 at 12:53am
Sponsored Links

NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2015 at 1:11am
too much movement, also really jerky. relax your body and go through the ball. your muscles get tense as you're about to hit it, which reduces power, spin and control. try not to pull the paddle behind your back on your loops. 

focusing on elbow position would help you a lot. See Brett Clark's video's for this 

Ill look again and add to this post later, just some things i noticed right away.

Edited by NoRema - 04/03/2015 at 1:14am

Click the picture for feedback ^
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2015 at 2:28am
Get as much serve receive practice as you can, it will help you down the road. It isn't killing you vs this opponent, but improvement in that area will help you vs the crushers of long receive.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2015 at 4:34am
I echo NoRema's comments.  I am planning to write about this soon.  You are refusing to accept the limits of your technique.  You may have had some coaching a long time ago, or hung around better players, but there are too many missing parts.

In your case, you are trying to do much more than your technique can consistently handle, and because you aren't getting your elbow out and doing proper strokes, you are placing a lot of undue stress on your arm to find power it doesn't have.  You are going for speed and power that your technique cannot consistently produce or control.  What this will lead to is stress, tension in all the wrong muscles, and a game that cannot progress beyond a certain level because it doesn't use your muscles harmoniously and so will either lead to injuries or will continue to force you to get power from places not designed to produce power.  Your timing will not improve beyond a certain level, as you are getting very little for the effort you are putting in.

Slow down and get the technique right.  If you take your time to do this, you may feel as if you are playing badly because you aren't hitting the ball hard.  However, this is a mistake and this is what holds most people back.  No one learns anything in 1 hour, but this is what older people want to do with table tennis - hit the ball like an expert in 1 hour.  Even experts can hit the ball the way they do only because they practice it a lot - they live their lives dreaming and doing this every day.  We only do this a few hours a week and a few years in our lives and want to be like them.

What really happens is that as you use the body parts properly, your ball quality will be better and you will be able to hit quality shots and recover for the next shot and hit another quality shot.  The balls will be slow, but spinny balls look slow but have power in the spin.  Then as your muscles and nerves begin to specialize in supporting your technique, you will get better timing and power and your game will rise rapidly.

Older kids and adults without consistent coaching often play like you because we are trying to emulate top players but we don't realize how it is hurting us and preventing us from actually playing like top players.  Play slower.  Be patient.  Get coaching if possible.  Move to the ball and do the proper stroke.  Playing with power your technique does not have will hurt you. 

Sorry if this is too long but I hope I am clear.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BinaryLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2015 at 11:59am
Thanks for the thorough analysis! Could you perhaps show where my elbow is lacking/link a video demonstrating proper elbow extension?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2015 at 12:23pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2015 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I echo NoRema's comments.  I am planning to write about this soon.  You are refusing to accept the limits of your technique.  You may have had some coaching a long time ago, or hung around better players, but there are too many missing parts.

In your case, you are trying to do much more than your technique can consistently handle, and because you aren't getting your elbow out and doing proper strokes, you are placing a lot of undue stress on your arm to find power it doesn't have.  You are going for speed and power that your technique cannot consistently produce or control.  What this will lead to is stress, tension in all the wrong muscles, and a game that cannot progress beyond a certain level because it doesn't use your muscles harmoniously and so will either lead to injuries or will continue to force you to get power from places not designed to produce power.  Your timing will not improve beyond a certain level, as you are getting very little for the effort you are putting in.

Slow down and get the technique right.  If you take your time to do this, you may feel as if you are playing badly because you aren't hitting the ball hard.  However, this is a mistake and this is what holds most people back.  No one learns anything in 1 hour, but this is what older people want to do with table tennis - hit the ball like an expert in 1 hour.  Even experts can hit the ball the way they do only because they practice it a lot - they live their lives dreaming and doing this every day.  We only do this a few hours a week and a few years in our lives and want to be like them.

What really happens is that as you use the body parts properly, your ball quality will be better and you will be able to hit quality shots and recover for the next shot and hit another quality shot.  The balls will be slow, but spinny balls look slow but have power in the spin.  Then as your muscles and nerves begin to specialize in supporting your technique, you will get better timing and power and your game will rise rapidly.

Older kids and adults without consistent coaching often play like you because we are trying to emulate top players but we don't realize how it is hurting us and preventing us from actually playing like top players.  Play slower.  Be patient.  Get coaching if possible.  Move to the ball and do the proper stroke.  Playing with power your technique does not have will hurt you. 

Sorry if this is too long but I hope I am clear.

Do you coach, NL? If not, I think you would make a good coach. :)
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2015 at 9:31pm
one thing I'd mention is to get practice vs stronger players - your friend is weaker than you are - and in many points you win, you are actually handing the advantage to the opponent if he were stronger.... a case in point, most of your long serves to his FH would be tremendously easy to loop-kill for better players... or any player with a consistent, well trained FH loop... 
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic