Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Probably the best 40+ ball ? Nittaku Premium (MIJ)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Probably the best 40+ ball ? Nittaku Premium (MIJ)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 11:13am
Interesting, but still very surprising to me.

I thought the consensus was there was a big weakness to edges with the seamless ball, and that it was otherwise durable, so this may be the first time I see the opinion that they are unconditionally more durable than celluloid. I don't question your experience, but mine with this weakness was so clear that I never imagined it could differ.

Do you let this rubbers hang a little over the edge of your blade, or cover it with thick edge tape? This is the solution we found to limit the breakage. With proper protection to dampen edges, we are now doing much better.

The typical ball-breaker for me is the full power counterloop at the table (mistiming on loop on loop practice I also find very dangerous). It's not hitting the wall, the floor, or anything (we play in good conditions and wooden floor). It really is swinging hard and hitting the edge full-on.
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Bran Bran wrote:

Interesting, but still very surprising to me.

I thought the consensus was there was a big weakness to edges with the seamless ball, and that it was otherwise durable, so this may be the first time I see the opinion that they are unconditionally more durable than celluloid. I don't question your experience, but mine with this weakness was so clear that I never imagined it could differ.

Do you let this rubbers hang a little over the edge of your blade, or cover it with thick edge tape? This is the solution we found to limit the breakage. With proper protection to dampen edges, we are now doing much better.

The typical ball-breaker for me is the full power counterloop at the table (mistiming on loop on loop practice I also find very dangerous). It's not hitting the wall, the floor, or anything (we play in good conditions and wooden floor). It really is swinging hard and hitting the edge full-on.

No I don't let rubber hang over but I use regular edge tape.  I also play on a Gerflor and we have dark green tarps hung up against concrete walls to improve visibility but it also may cushion balls from hitting hard.  I swing pretty hard and I suppose I get my share of edges.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

On the last couple weeks, I was sparring for a Pro Player and we have to use P Balls because he competes with it in Europe..

We had: DHS, Double Fish, Cornilleau and all were ok for me.. more or less the same, decente for playing but low durability.

One day one friend of us who played at US Open showed up with a Nittaku Premium. I don't know if I was used to the other balls but I hated Nittaku.. too hard and heavy. Can't say about Nittaku durability.

In general, I was expecting a harder time to adapt to Poly balls based on all the fuzz on TT forums but I found quite ok to play with it. I think there's no need to changes on my setup, etc..

PS: This player prefers seamless balls but is forced to train with seamed because he plays at ITTF events all the time..

This comment shows that feelings about balls are subjective and not to be trusted uncritically, (especially when experience is limited to a session with one ball from a player accustomed to another type of ball).  Feel may not be real.  This is because the Nittaku Premium is without question and by a substantial margin the lightest 40+ ball on the market, especially compared to any other seamed plastic balls.  This comes from actually weighing the balls.  Nittaku premium balls are always under 2.70 grams, usually around 2.67, about the same as Nittaku celluloid.  Chinese seamed balls often are greater than 2.80 grams, although may have come down slightly in recent months.  XSF balls are around 2.75.  

Thanks for your very precise info. I tried to be specific when I wrote that maybe I was used to the other balls. Probably the harder feel of Nittaku made me an impression of it being also heavier... shame on meEmbarrassed

Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
rxng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rxng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 11:50am
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

where did you acquire the orange premium's from?

:)

Probably...the first orange Nittaku Premium 40+ in the world ...kidding ClapLOLTongue

Edited by rxng - 08/27/2015 at 11:51am
rxng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rxng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 11:58am
I didn't take all the brands of balls from old celluloid to new plastic balls,
but as far as we know, from the back light environment, most old celluloid balls show pale yellow ; new plastic balls show white while Nittaku Premium shows the unique dark yellow color, also it has the thinnest seam.
rxng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rxng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Aha, opaque vs translucent.

Oh, that ultrasonic welding process they use to join the two halves together minimizes the seam to a minimum.
There is an old video showing how the old celluloid Nittaku balls are made, I think most people have watched the video, but it is worth to watch again. I have no idea how the new balls are made,maybe similar.

Edited by rxng - 08/27/2015 at 1:35pm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 1:07pm
is there anything inside the ball or is it just air?  perhaps that could explain a different color from backlighting?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 2:27pm
Wturber found that the balls bounce the same height with small punctures.  They are not inflated.  A strange thing about NP40+ is they can have very small crack that you barely notice when playing.  Seamless balls simply shatter.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

Thanks for your very precise info. I tried to be specific when I wrote that maybe I was used to the other balls. Probably the harder feel of Nittaku made me an impression of it being also heavier... shame on meEmbarrassed

No problem and you are not the first person to say they feel heavier.Thumbs Up  It raises a quite interesting issue that was first mentioned by Debater at OOAK.  When playing it can be hard to separate weight and hardness of a ball -- for example, a partially inflated football can feel heavier when you kick it.  For sure, the Nittaku 40+ ball feels different to you, and it is, and if you are accustomed to something else, it is not easy the first time.  It's even harder to tell if a a ball you are using (or a rubber or blade) has more or less spin from the feel of it.  Somebody else once posted articles from sports science journals showing that subjective feel of many ball sports comes from the sound made when the ball is struck.  Your opponent may miss the ball not because you generated more spin but because he misjudged the trajectory, but it seems like he misjudged spin.  I think these kinds of things cause all sorts of disagreements about equipment and balls, people know something looks and feels different but they then attribute it to the wrong cause. 
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 3:34pm

I like XSF best, but I find it hard to believe they're deemed durable! A good edge swing and they're gone. Yes, in normal use they are good, but sooner or later it happens. I've never seen a seamless ball die of old age, always brutal deaths.

You are correct that edge hits can do them in.  But on average for most players they are much more durable than celluloid.  That is what my experience running two tournaments  (probably about 800 matches - possibly 400 matches with one ball break due to play) tells me.  My personal playing experience echos my observations in running the tournaments.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 3:39pm

This comment shows that feelings about balls are subjective and not to be trusted uncritically, (especially when experience is limited to a session with one ball from a player accustomed to another type of ball).  Feel may not be real.  This is because the Nittaku Premium is without question and by a substantial margin the lightest 40+ ball on the market, especially compared to any other seamed plastic balls.  This comes from actually weighing the balls.  Nittaku premium balls are always under 2.70 grams, usually around 2.67, about the same as Nittaku celluloid.  Chinese seamed balls often are greater than 2.80 grams, although may have come down slightly in recent months.  XSF balls are around 2.75.  

Yep.  They feel hard subjectively.  I also think that they are less "dynamic".  I have to work harder to hit them fast with my hardbat.  Ya put that together and you hear comments like "it feels like a rock."  Now that's a clear exaggeration since the difference are actually subtle.  Anyway, these impressions lead to the notion of the ball being heavy - even though it isn't.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 3:43pm

Back of the envelope calculation says 3 months at twice a week = 13 weeks * 2.5h, times 5 (assuming 10 play together,so 5 tables), so 162.5h of play for 144 balls. This means about one hour per ball! It's a very rough approximation, but this sounds really scary.

On a bad session, I can break up to 3-4 balls, and this drastically brings down the stats. It's also depressing given their prices.

Two days, 70 players, 400 matches.  At 20 mins per match (very conservative), that's 133 playing hours and only one ball broken - a way different experience than you are having. I honestly cannot remember the last time I broke a seamless ball.  I lose them before I break them.

I can only assume that you hit an unusually high number of edge balls.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Aha, opaque vs translucent.

Oh, that ultrasonic welding process they use to join the two halves together minimizes the seam to a minimum.

Ah - ultrasonic welding.  Definitely a better seam in that it does not add much additional thickness.  OTOH, it seems to me that the weld may soften that plastic a bit and that the welded plastic is more likely to flow or shift with use.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 3:52pm

Wturber found that the balls bounce the same height with small punctures.  They are not inflated.  A strange thing about NP40+ is they can have very small crack that you barely notice when playing.  Seamless balls simply shatter.

To be clear, I tested the seamless balls with a very small puncture in a bounce test that was a very close match to the ITTF drop test.  I did not test the NP40+ or any seamed balls.  Nor did I do any higher velocity dynamic testing. Though, now that I think about it, I may have done an extra high drop test.  I just don't recall for sure right now.

I only tested the seamless with a puncture because the early publicity for the seamless ball mentioned the ability to supply them pressurized as a way to modify the playing characteristics.  
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 4:14pm
Played in a tourney last night. Did DHS balls, NP40+, XSF balls, I let my opposition pick what they wanted.

The DHS ball felt like a rock and one of them wasn't new and was very slick looking - I had trouble looping that specific ball.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2015 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

To be clear, I tested the seamless balls with a very small puncture in a bounce test that was a very close match to the ITTF drop test.  I did not test the NP40+ or any seamed balls.  Nor did I do any higher velocity dynamic testing. Though, now that I think about it, I may have done an extra high drop test.  I just don't recall for sure right now.

I only tested the seamless with a puncture because the early publicity for the seamless ball mentioned the ability to supply them pressurized as a way to modify the playing characteristics.  

OK, Jay, I had forgotten the details.  In any case, I am also certain that NP40+ are not inflated because of the way they play when they have very small cracks in them.  They are surprisingly similar to when they are intact.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 9:43am
Has anyone tried this ball yet? Any comments on its play?

Nittaku 2-star Superior Poly

https://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=n-superior-40p-3

in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 11:02am
i had a box of 3 of the 2 star nittaku made in japan balls

they seem perfectly reasonable.  to me, the 3 star version is just slightly heavier feeling

:)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Has anyone tried this ball yet? Any comments on its play?

Nittaku 2-star Superior Poly

https://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=n-superior-40p-3

Not bad, not a whole lot different from 3-star Nittaku Premium but some were not round or got out of round easily when playing.  I would rather play with these than 3-star Chinese balls with seams, like DHS or Nittaku SHA.  They aren't that cheap, though.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 6:00pm

Not bad, not a whole lot different from 3-star Nittaku Premium but some were not round or got out of round easily when playing.  I would rather play with these than 3-star Chinese balls with seams, like DHS or Nittaku SHA.  They aren't that cheap, though.

FWIW,  I played with a 40+ Butterfly ball for one match on Wednesday.  Normally I wouldn't, but since I was the "challenger" to the table I just went with the ball already there.  Frankly, after warmup it didn't really matter.  I don't recall making any adjustments or thinking about it. And we didn't break the ball.  OTOH, I haven't played for over a week so perhaps that bit of "rust" was enough to mask my ability to discern any important difference.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2015 at 8:48pm
Sometimes I feel like at this point I have played with enough 40+ balls that I can cope with most of them now to the point that it just doesn't bug me even with kind of crappy ones.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic