Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

posture when receiving serve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ssiew968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssiew968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: posture when receiving serve
    Posted: 07/03/2006 at 3:29am

Dear all,

Notice lots of professional stay far from table and very focus/tight when receiving serve. However, once the opponent has throw the ball, they will relax and then move near the table to receive it.

Why do they do so?

Sponsored Links

Braveheart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braveheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2006 at 6:03am
In my opinion, they deserve to watch carefully the service of the opponent and they stay far from the table ready to reply to it in a better way
Blade - Butterly X5 balsa carbo Off;
Front -Donic JO Platin soft 2mm
Back hand - BUTTERFLY Challenger 1.5 mm (short pips)
Style - Close table attack
silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2006 at 8:25am
It's also easier to move in to recieve a short serve than move out to recieve a fast serve.
Potato Face
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2006 at 1:25pm
For me it is easier to keep moving once I start than to get going, so that initial move makes sure I am mobile and ready to respond to the serve.  Also by moving forward it makes me feel like I am on offense.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
studmuffin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studmuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2006 at 9:41pm
i don't think they "relax" when then opponent releases the ball, they're just as focused and as tight. they just start moving to anticipate the serve because it's better than moving later
Blade: Gergely 21 FL Carbon
FH: RITC 729
BH: Butterfly Super Anti
malvin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2006 at 10:46pm
The posture that many professional table tennis use when recieving a ball is to stay low with knees bent and with their head and eyes facing the ball. They stay compact because you want to make short, compact, and controlled motions in your stroke. If your stance is not tight, it tends to lead to wasted time when you need to make short steps in your footwork in any direction you move. It is important to also stay low and tight because if the ball is served directly at your body, you will be in better position to return the body shot.
Racket: Kokutaku Hero Special Shake Hand Limited
FH: Bryce 2.1
BH: Bryce Hard 2.1

Nittaku Tremendous
FH: Xtend Max
BH: Xtend Max
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2006 at 11:04am
Being far out helps because you only have one direction to move:- forward.
For this reason standing leaving the whole table open a la kim taek soo or gatien is not quite as difficult as it looks because your initial motion is nearly always forward. Of course its very tiring and requires more athleticism than most of amateurs can manage.

if you want to employ a modified version of the above, stand well back so that your backhand covers the bh corner such that surprise serve to your backhand does not require you to shift your weight to the bh. In that way you are ready to go forward to short backhnds and forward and across to wide forehands.

On a similar subject when you are second striker in doubles (your partner is either receiving or serving) you could consider what Kohno the 77 world champion did: He would stand perhaps 10 feet behind his partner and then as the serve recieve was exececuted he would come in dancing from side to side like a boxertiming his arrival to be going forward no matter which side the opposing team placed it.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Pongstein View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2006 at 11:46am
But, can you also consider how intimidating it is to a person who is serving and finds that the receiver is right up close to the table? If the receiver is a good attacker of serves, short or long, what will the server serve?
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2006 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Pongstein Pongstein wrote:

But, can you also consider how intimidating it is to a person who is serving and finds that the receiver is right up close to the table? If the receiver is a good attacker of serves, short or long, what will the server serve?

Short, low with heavy backspinn. Thats almost impossible to attack, either chop it or flip it. If flipped or badly chopped the server gets the opportunity to make that importent tihrd ball attack. It is always the server who has the upperhand in the game. Atleast, it should be if to even opponets meet. A guy like me could serve all the time but never get the chanse to attack against Boll, Maze, Liqin and thoose guys
The holy grail
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2006 at 5:31pm
The server doesn't have much of an advantage in doubles, the reason being that a loose serve would be ripped down his partner's throat or hit into his body. So invariably most serves turn out to be short backspins, maybe a few sidespins or no-spins thrown in. Only the best servers can manage anything else in doubles.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
Pongstein View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2006 at 5:44pm

Speedplay, I think you are right about the short heavy back spin. However, I am a 2100 level player, and when I practice flat hitting short spinny back spin serves against my robot, even players at my level don't know what to serve to me.

I must also point out that it is not easy to serve very short spinny serves. Generally, the shorter you serve, the less spin it will have, unless you serve illegally. Another way to serve short spinny balls, would be to stand back (away)from the table, put a lot of spin on the ball and let it bounce near your end of the table then barely pass the net before it lands on your opponents side. Of course, this would require a lot of practice and consistency.

ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2006 at 8:11pm

Speedplay, I think you are right about the short heavy back spin. However, I am a 2100 level player, and when I practice flat hitting short spinny back spin serves against my robot, even players at my level don't know what to serve to me.

I must also point out that it is not easy to serve very short spinny serves. Generally, the shorter you serve, the less spin it will have, unless you serve illegally. Another way to serve short spinny balls, would be to stand back (away)from the table, put a lot of spin on the ball and let it bounce near your end of the table then barely pass the net before it lands on your opponents side. Of course, this would require a lot of practice and consistency.

Actually, if you want to execute a short backspin serve, you cannot possibly put the first bounce near your end of the table (ie: the edge closest to you). Your first bounce must be deep. If the first bounce is close to you, and second bounce is just past the net, that's one half-table distance, meaning the third bounce will probably be near the opponent's deep edge, meaning you're totally gonna get looped.

I think the easiest way to produce a really short, backspin serve is to have a low toss, and make contact with the ball right when it starts to drop from the top of the toss. Then there's very little velocity of the ball dropping, making it easier to keep it short. It's really hard to have a high toss and keep it short.
Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2006 at 3:46pm
I think its so true what pongstein says it is not easy to serve very heavy chop serve that is also short and low.
lately Ihave been quite a lot of serve practice and can get ten out of twelve sometimes to bounce three times. However when its a game the chop is still heavy but I only get 40 % to bounce twice, so they end up 'half long' which is sometimes good but I wish it was deliberate!
I think the problem comes back to relaxation - it improves the touch so much , but is so hard to switch on.
You know have soft hands like waldner when he serves any suggestions?
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2006 at 4:00pm

Well, you dont sound like someone I would like to play against Still, I belive that its one thing to do it against a robot wich makes the same serve over and over, its quite a different thing in a game where the variations of the serve is much greater. Short to medium long and sometimes on Bh, sometimes on Fh. To my belief the best serve is always a suprising one, thats why I try to have as much variation as my skill allowes me to. Unfortunatly, thats not much
The holy grail
the_ownage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_ownage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2006 at 7:28am
this is just random. i like staying all the way bak but it never seems to work.lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic