Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

question of talent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

For example, I acquire new physical skills relatively slowly, initially, but after certain amount of practice, I tend to have a "breakthrough periods" when the new skills improve very rapidly (it finally clicks) which allows me to catch up with quicker learners, or even overcome them.

It still fits the definition of talent per Merriam-Webster.

I don't understand why some people keep arguing that the word "talent" must be defined within a very narrow range that fits their personal taste, when it's perfectly clear that it can be used in more than one way, just like tens of thousands of other English words, e.g. to succeed in table tennis or to succeed Obama as the next US president; to sound nice when singing or to sound the depth of your mental aptitude; to table (remove) a proposal for consideration (as used in the U.S.) or to table (introduce) a proposal for consideration (UK).  Just let it go man.

@roundrobin - The answer to your question is simple - I focus on the definition of talent as natural, inborn, aptitude because that was the definition implied by OP and the poster to whom I responded.

Btw, I'm puzzled by you statement "Just let it go man".  Can you explain what you mean?

I thought it's crystal clear that the word talent encompasses all attributes that are superior to your peers in the context when it's used, exactly as Speedplay and the Merriam-Webster dictionary had indicated.  The origin of a particular talent (innate or otherwise) is completely irrelevant.  If you can't understand it by now you never will, alas. 

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Sponsored Links

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 4:42pm
No one gets to redefine what a word means, lol.  The OP was not wrong in using the word talent in the way he described.  You are not wrong either, Victor K, but you and OP are talking past each other, as both of you are focusing on the slightly different usage of the word.  Why should any of you (or us) accept your own narrow definition as the correct one when officially you could use it to mean both ways?  The OP was absolutely correct to use the word to post his opinion, and everyone should try to comment on it within the context, not nick-picking on the word usage itself.  This is what I mean when I said some posters are asinine who completely missed the point.

Edited by roundrobin - 05/13/2015 at 4:55pm

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 5:04pm
It's fine to argue passionately that talent may come from nurture rather than nature, but it's completely STUPID BEYOND BELIEF to say that innate talent is not talent or nurtured talent is not talent.

VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 5:11pm
@roundrobin - I think it would be helpful if you let your ego deflate a little bit before you post again.  Otherwise, your posts will continue to reflect confrontational and somewhat offensive attitude, i.e. your statements "If you can't understand it by now you never will" or "it's completely stupid beyond belief"

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 5:17pm
Seriously, Victor K, you are not Miss Etiquette.  This is the internet, so even though you are dead wrong you will never admit it, so cut out the b.s. already.  It IS asinine to try to tell people that talent is not innate when the dictionary says you could use it to mean just that.  Just let it go man. 

Edited by roundrobin - 05/13/2015 at 5:21pm

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 5:23pm
roundrobin,

Are you arguing with VictorK, Tassie52 or everyone?

Edited by NextLevel - 05/13/2015 at 5:26pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 5:33pm
@roundrobin - I'm actually quite relaxed and don't seek confrontation with, or force my opinion on, you or anyone else.  Hence there's nothing I feel need to let go - unlike you.   So please calm down, and if you do so, I'd be happy to further discuss this topic ... otherwise good bye!
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

roundrobin,

Are you arguing with VictorK, Tassie52 or everyone?

Admonishing, not arguing.  Not everyone obviously (Tassie for sure Wink ).

There isn't anything to argue about. 

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 5:48pm

@roundrobin - I'm actually quite relaxed and don't seek confrontation with, or force my opinion on, you or anyone else.  Hence there's nothing I feel need to let go - unlike you.   So please calm down, and if you do so, I'd be happy to further discuss this topic ... otherwise good bye!

I don't think there's a need to discuss when you refuse to acknowledge the basic fact that talent simply means above-average ability within a context.

GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 9:58pm
Alois and Jeff from PingSkills discuss talent, limits, and plateaus
http://youtu.be/nkUrXwMAYys?t=15m46s
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2015 at 10:44pm
the trouble with threads like this is it goes on too long 
and it would be impossible to start reading this topic from the beginning (which was more about a not likeing of an opponent) and try and filter out some gems out of the bull
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2015 at 5:07am

@roundrobin - The answer to your question is simple - I focus on the definition of talent as natural, inborn, aptitude because that was the definition implied by OP and the poster to whom I responded.

Btw, I'm puzzled by you statement "Just let it go man".  Can you explain what you mean?

That poster would be me, and Ive never suggested that talent always is something you are born with. I was simply using my example to show Tassie why I disagree with him.

Still, find it a bit interesting to read that you are able to catch up, and surpase the quick learners, who plateus according to you. Wonder why you are able to develop further when they arent? Could it possibly be... Talent? Quick learning is one talent, a talent that often allows you to move on and develop faster then others, but its by no mean the only talent. Some people develop at talent for Reading the game and progress that way.

As for Your comments towards RR, I can relate to those, but if you try to look beyond the attitude, you will often find good insight in his posts, so perhaps you should try to focus on that instead of pretending to be moraly superior?
The holy grail
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2015 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

That poster would be me, and Ive never suggested that talent always is something you are born with. I was simply using my example to show Tassie why I disagree with him.

Still, find it a bit interesting to read that you are able to catch up, and surpase the quick learners, who plateus according to you. Wonder why you are able to develop further when they arent? Could it possibly be... Talent? Quick learning is one talent, a talent that often allows you to move on and develop faster then others, but its by no mean the only talent. Some people develop at talent for Reading the game and progress that way.

As for Your comments towards RR, I can relate to those, but if you try to look beyond the attitude, you will often find good insight in his posts, so perhaps you should try to focus on that instead of pretending to be moraly superior?

My comments toward roundrobin weren't intended to be about moral superiority but rather about common courtesy, as well as my belief that confrontational and offensive attitudes are detrimental to productive discussions.

I do understand and accept that there are many definitions of "talent" in sports, many of which have difficulty to describe talent comprehensively and accurately.   So, for simplicity, I tend to equate talent with "nature" (perhaps should use the term innate instead of of inborn) while associating other factors affecting the level of performance we achieve with "nurture".   I also believe that the OP's intention was to discuss nature vs nurture, hence I focused on that definition in my posts.

As to my ability to sometimes (not always) surpass quicker learners, it might be that my innate learning curve is different - less steep initially but less likely to plateau quickly, which could be explained by "talent/nature" ... or perhaps that some quick learners tend to assume that they learned/mastered particular skills after the initial success and they don't challenge themselves to practice/perfect them, while I continue working on them for much longer periods of time - which can be explained by "nurture" (deliberate practice)

Edited by VictorK - 05/14/2015 at 8:49am
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2015 at 4:19pm

My comments toward roundrobin weren't intended to be about moral superiority but rather about common courtesy, as well as my belief that confrontational and offensive attitudes are detrimental to productive discussions.

Sorry, I find your repeated refusal to acknowledge a simple point far more annoying than any rude remark.  There's really nothing to discuss with you, due to your pedantic bent against the use of the word talent as permitted by Merriam-Webster.  As I said, it's asinine and a waste of time to argue with an obdurate mind on the internet, no less.

Edited by roundrobin - 05/14/2015 at 4:21pm

VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2015 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Sorry, I find your repeated refusal to acknowledge a simple point far more annoying than any rude remark.  There's really nothing to discuss with you, due to your pedantic bent against the use of the word talent as permitted by Merriam-Webster.  As I said, it's asinine and a waste of time to argue with an obdurate mind on the internet, no less.

After, or instead of, re-reading my posts to find evidence of my "repeated refusal to acknowledge a simple point", you might want to check Merriam-Webster for the definition of "Good Bye", LOL
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2015 at 4:58pm

After, or instead of, re-reading my posts to find evidence of my "repeated refusal to acknowledge a simple point", you might want to check Merriam-Webster for the definition of "Good Bye", LOL

Only on the internet.

berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2015 at 5:49pm
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/03/animal-minds/virginia-morell-text

(excerpted)  Certain skills are considered key signs of higher mental abilities: good memory, a grasp of grammar and symbols, self-awareness, understanding others’ motives, imitating others, and being creative. Bit by bit, in ingenious experiments, researchers have documented these talents in other species, gradually chipping away at what we thought made human beings distinctive while offering a glimpse of where our own abilities came from. Scrub jays know that other jays are thieves and that stashed food can spoil; sheep can recognize faces; chimpanzees use a variety of tools to probe termite mounds and even use weapons to hunt small mammals; dolphins can imitate human postures; the archerfish, which stuns insects with a sudden blast of water, can learn how to aim its squirt simply by watching an experienced fish perform the task. And Alex the parrot turned out to be a surprisingly good talker.
And Blackie the Cat could, standing near the net on top of a TT table, bat a blocked ball with either of his front paws back to his owner.  Not exactly Ma Long, but pretty darn good for a feline.  Bring on Don Iguana!

Edited by berndt_mann - 05/14/2015 at 5:57pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2015 at 6:51pm
Berndt, all those "talents" found in chimps, fish, parrots and poodles are the result of 10,000 hours of deliberate practice they put in when you weren't watchin'
My son at six months cried when he watched a baby trapped in a burning house on a cartoon.  He must have Googled it when I wasn't watching that fire is bad for you...

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2015 at 9:45pm
As I read these posts I cannot help but notice that we are a talented bunch... 

BTW, perhaps as an example, I - and many in my old country - used to call Wojtek Fibak (past tennis star) a very talented player. Not only because he was our compatriot (yes, that positive vibe of the word "talent" is sometimes a reflection of a more general need for positiveness in human relations) but simply because he, when his time came, as a very young and yet unknown player (even nationally he was almost unknown), without really much formal coaching, he paid his own fee for the international tournament in Madrid (his father was a lawyer), went there, beat a bunch of great players, and won the event. He had a great talent.

Therefore talent: capability to accomplish important achievements that are not in the reach of vast majority of the qualified population (say, 99.99% or so). A social fact, and a fact of Nature. And this has nothing to do with our beliefs, creed, etc. or with the lack thereof. 
Also, it should not elicit any verbal aggression...Wink

Edited by JacekGM - 05/14/2015 at 9:46pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
john18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2015 at 4:58am
From the "Li Xiaoxia off the Table" video :
"I tried playing afer that, and could actually play quite well even though I have never touched a racket until then. I felt it was too simple and no challenging for me."
Talent ... ? Tongue

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2015 at 8:33pm
I would like to talk in this thread but this is way too long with some unnecessary conversations so I can't read everything or the important thinks so I'm just going to throw something in timo boll is the most talented player In the world
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2015 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

I would like to talk in this thread but this is way too long with some unnecessary conversations so I can't read everything or the important thinks so I'm just going to throw something in timo boll is the most talented player In the world

Plus 1.  He has to be to play that way - LOL!
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic