Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Victas Quartet SFC Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Victas Quartet SFC Review
    Posted: 06/20/2015 at 11:54am
I recently got access to the entire Victas Quartet Series:
VFC, AFC, LFC and AFC

Head Size: 150 x 157 for all blades, 5.4 mm (VFC, SFC), 5.6 mm (AFC), 5.3 mm (LFC)
Weight: VFC (88g), LFC (84g), AFC (89g) & SFC (86g)
Handle (FL): Very comfortable, compare to Butterfly Timo Boll Series with a little more roundness
Quality: Top quality face, very smooth and consistent. Edges are also sanded (Wow!) and the blade face edges close to the handle are tapered.

Victas Quartet SFC:
http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2OvJBMREql8N2tLLUNtdDR0RDA/view?usp=sharing
http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2OvJBMREql8dnZHYktfOE1QWUU/view?usp=sharing

Construction:
All blades have the same construction when it comes to arrangement of the piles. The carbon is placed on the center ply and the carbon fleece is placed beneath the top ply. The only difference is the wood used and the inner carbon layer.

Speed:
The blades are spread about the speed range of OFF- to higher OFF but below OFF+. ALl blades are medium stiff and are no stiffer than a Timo Boll ALC.
The VFC can be as fast as Timo Boll ZLC but is a touch softer.
The AFC is right between TB ZLC and TB ZLC. If TB ZLC is 10 and ALC is 9, AFC should be 9 in terms of speed.
The LFC is just a hint harder and faster than TB ALC while the SFC is just a hint softer and slower than TB ALC.
The series caters to the entire range of OFF blades.

Review of SFC:
I decided to test the SFC first (just below OFF) as I already own the Carbonado 145 (higher OFF), Xiom Vega Euro (OFF) and Yinhe V-1 (Just below OFF). The top ply looks like LIMBA or some soft variant of KOTO.
I paired it up with H3N and Rasant Grip. Teh overall weight of the setup was 183 grams (perfect!) and there was a very mild head-heavy balance, although not as prominent as TB ALC with the same rubbers.

Review:
The blade provides a good soft touch, which is also a bit precise. The closest feeling I can describe is that of Timo Boll ALC, although the vibrations are just a little bit more than.  What surprised me was the bigger sweet spot although the blade is not advertised as such.
The blade has better ball grab than the TB ALC and Xiom Vega Euro and is just a touch slower and softer than these blades.
This is a OFF blade, more suited for All Round Offensive players. All out attackers will find it a bit slow and should look at AFC and VFC.

Summary:
The quality of these blades is exceptional given the prices. The quality is very very good and without doubh even better than Butterfly blades.
Although the marked prices are between 15K Yen and 19K Yen, you can get them for 8K Yen to 12K Yen depending on where you buy it from. You can get it from some European retailers for below 60 Euros and this is nothing short of daylight robbery.
I would highly recommend this series to All Round Attackers and All Round Players.

Edited by ashishsharmaait - 07/07/2015 at 4:10am
Sponsored Links

Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2015 at 12:32pm
I'm interested in Victas Dynawood/Power, but they are still too expensive. No wonder there's almost no reviews although they are launched more than a year ago.

Those new Quartet blades are equally expensive although made in China.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 4:09am
Added review and pictures.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 4:14am
Very nice reviews ashishsharmaait, that's the first ones I've seen on those blades. Thumbs Up

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 6:20pm
Nice review indeed, and it's attracted my interest, in particular in the LFC and the AFC.

Would you be able to compare these with an Innerforce ALC in terms of hardness, flex, speed and power? By power, I mean the max speed you can achieve. I'm quite intrigued by the medium-stiff rating you gave them, seeing how thin they are.

Could you comment on the performance in blocking, looping and short game? Counterlooping and mid-distance rallying?

From the pictures, the top ply is definitely limba. Is it just the angle, or are the top plies different thicknesses on the FH and BH? This would be a letdown for the price and the otherwise great finish.

Also, the euro prices you quote are actually pre-VAT, so they're not as good a bargain as you thought.

I hope you'll be reviewing the rest of the series very soon!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 11:02pm
The LFC is a little harder than the Innerforce ALC. It is also a little faster.
The AFC is same hardness as LFC but 1 notch faster than LFC.
The AFC is tried was also heavier at 88g compared to 84g for the LFC.
A good thing about these blades is the medium stiffness due to the extra carbon fleece layer. They do not flex unless you start putting your arm in your shots.
The plies rae the same Thickness for FH and BH as far as I can see having the blade in hand.
They are good looping and counter looping blades. The medium flex does not encourage passive blocking.
I am outside the EU so don't have to pay VAT. You can also get these from TT Japan but at a higher cost.

Edited by ashishsharmaait - 08/09/2015 at 11:05pm
BB-Big View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB-Big Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2015 at 11:41pm
Which one in this serie is your favourite, ashishsharmaait?

And how about the VFC? Would you please give me a short review.

Thanks.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2015 at 3:13am
I like the SFC and AFC the most as I play with H3N on FH.
Both of these have a fair bit of flex.
The VFC is a little bit stiffer than these.
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2015 at 6:47am
Thanks Ashish.

What didn't you like about the LFC? And I forgot to ask, are these high throw blades, and how is the balance? I've read on German forums they may be a little head-heavy.

On the one hand, the LFC is promising for its lighter weight and more measured speed. Yet the thickness of 5.3mm is a bit worrying.

I play an aggressive game at the table and I don't want too much flex.

On the other, the AFC sound more powerful and stable, but it's also a bit heavier. I'm also worried it might be too fast. Something in the surrounding of Boll ALC speed is about what I want.

How do the two perform when loop-driving? Quite important to me, it's the main grip I had with the IF ALC – great for spinning up, but not direct enough for the kill.

The VFC is out of the picture, as I don't want something in the higher off category. It's also more than I want to put down for regular EJing.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2015 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Bran Bran wrote:

What didn't you like about the LFC? And I forgot to ask, are these high throw blades, and how is the balance? I've read on German forums they may be a little head-heavy.
On the one hand, the LFC is promising for its lighter weight and more measured speed. Yet the thickness of 5.3mm is a bit worrying.
I play an aggressive game at the table and I don't want too much flex.

The LFC is the same speed as the ALC (may be like 1% more) but it is more flexible. I found it a little difficult to control and the speed seemed faster than it is because of the flex, especially because I use  heavy rubbers (H3N on the FH). With LFC the balance is a little head heavy, but not much. AFC is more head heavy as compared to LFC. Both these blades are less or same head heavy compared to TB ALC.

Originally posted by Bran Bran wrote:

On the other, the AFC sound more powerful and stable, but it's also a bit heavier. I'm also worried it might be too fast. Something in the surrounding of Boll ALC speed is about what I want.

How do the two perform when loop-driving? Quite important to me, it's the main grip I had with the IF ALC – great for spinning up, but not direct enough for the kill.

AFC was heavier than LFC buy 4-5 grams for the pieces which I got. AFC is more head heavy than LFC. It has got the Arylate feel but plays very much like LFC. Its is just 5% harder and 5% lesser flex. It has about the same flex as TB ALC and just 5% more speed.

Victas ratings are a bit off and their speed ratings are a bit more than they should be. Their 100 is more like 95.

All blades except VFC are flexible and have high throw. All blades have a medium feel.
Speed: SFC < LFC ~ AFC ~ TB ALC << VFC
Hardness: SFC < AFC~LFC ~ TB ALC < VFC
Flex: VFC < AFC < LFC ~ SFC
Head heaviness: AFC ~ VFC < LFC ~ SFC ~ TB ALC

If you like the Arylate feel choose the AFC. If you like the Zylon feel, choose the LFC. If you like a carbon feel, choose VFC and if you like the soft + dampened carbon feel, choose the SFC. SFC and AFC are my favorite blades in the series and I hated VFC.

Edited by ashishsharmaait - 08/10/2015 at 11:23am
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2015 at 3:12am
Thanks a lot Ashish!
BB-Big View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB-Big Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2015 at 3:53am
Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

I like the SFC and AFC the most as I play with H3N on FH.
Both of these have a fair bit of flex.
The VFC is a little bit stiffer than these.

Thanks ashishsharmaait.

I have owned one Victas Firefall LC 84-85 g. Its spec seems good. Light weight, fast and not too stiff. But for me, it lacks crisp feel and maybe too flexible. So I don't expect the quartet LFC to have major difference.

YBFlash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YBFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2016 at 2:54pm
Very detailed and precise review!

Thank you very much my friend! Clap
Blade: OSP Virtuoso+
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2017 at 5:17am
Koki niwa plays the Afc with a thicker inner core and victas calls it now koki niwa. The blade he destroyed ma long with in the recent asian championship!
Sory xu xin not ma long (corrected )

Edited by Mickael - 04/17/2017 at 5:19pm
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2017 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Mickael Mickael wrote:

Koki niwa plays the Afc with a thicker inner core and victas calls it now koki niwa. The blade he destroyed ma long with in the recent asian championship!
http://www.ittf.com/2017/04/15/farewell-ma-long-now-xu-xin-follows-suit-koki-niwa-causes-last-eight-upset/

Looks like he is using TSP Swat. And it was not Ma Long that Niwa defeated but Xu. Long was beaten by Jeong Sangeun.

Edited by IanMcg - 04/17/2017 at 4:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic