FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Eye on the Ball

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eye on the Ball
    Posted: 07/15/2006 at 2:31pm

How far do you keep your eye on the ball as it is coming towards you?

Sponsored Links

Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2006 at 8:29pm
You NEVER stop watching the ball.  You watch it even as you hit it.
AZNpenholdloop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZNpenholdloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2006 at 1:02am
yea, i used to believe to watch the ball until it crosses the net alittle and then look at the spot where you are going to hit it, but now i think that you always have to keep your eye on the ball so you can coordinate your hand better.
Avalox 550
FH: Blue Whale II Factory Tuned 38 deg.
BH: White Shark II Factory Tuned
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2006 at 5:57am
in the movie forest gump, a guy told tom hanks never to remove ur eye on the ball and i think its one basic principle you should never forget
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
President JFJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote President JFJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2006 at 4:18pm
I think there is a limit to how much you should watch the ball, because if you are looking at it on a forehand loop, you can't even see the other side of the table. It's true it helps with co-ordination, but to a certain extent.
Peace out.

JFJ
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2006 at 5:58pm

I asked Wang Yin (US #5) if he watches the ball all the way to contact and he said he doesn't.   I couldn't determine how long he watches it before letting peripheral vision and instinct take over.  

I've tried both watching to contact and not watching to contact and each seems to have its advantages and disadvantages.   In slower drills and some serves it seems like watching all the way to the contact point pays off.  In other cases however, the effort of turning your head to keep your eye on the ball at contact also upsets the trajectory of your swing and your perception of your racket angle w.r.t. the table.  Sometimes turning my head causes me to miss more.

Finally in fast counter smashes (or other reflexive shots like blocks against smashes, loop kills), there is absolutely no time to turn your head and track the ball to the contact point.  You simply have to rely on your peripheral vision and instincts.    So.......watching the ball and how far you watch it must be a dynamic issue.

joubtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joubtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2006 at 12:00pm

Use your entire field of vision and always watch the ball.  Reflexes and insincts should be = the time it takes your eyes to focus on an object (which is what determines how quickly you respond) and your recognition of the techniques plus experience (instincts).

JUIC Hybrid(Fl) w/999 Chinese sponge
JUIC Hybrid(Fl) w/Galaxy 9000
JRSDallas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRSDallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2006 at 6:42pm

Using your entire field of vision = peripheral vision + center of vision.  Thus a ball can be within your field of vision even though it is not at your center of vision.

Focusing on the ball = center of vision = (fovea) focused on the ball.  This is what I am implying when I said "watching" or "keeping your eye on".

Yes you should not have the ball exit your field of vision (until your view of it is blocked by your blade) but that does not mean that the ball stays at the center of vision all the way to the contact point. 

kamus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2006 at 5:22am

my couch said .. watching the ball travel over the net then watch the point target ( opponent side ) then loop or smash depends on type of ball coming. Looking to the point target will put great accuracy. And now i always do like that.

But at some level where your opponent have some speed as you and can watch your eyes and read where you want to spin or smash the ball ..and this is always i do.
At this point you can trick your opponent with ur eyes for example by looking right angle but actually you are smashing or spinning to left angle.

j0rnal1sta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j0rnal1sta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2006 at 11:06am

I watch the ball only at the net, after the net i watch where i will put the ball.

Sometimes i look to the eyes of opponent to discover where he will put, to antecipate the ball and win the game. Waldner is the best to do this, his eyes looks ball and eyes of opponent, and he antecipated and finished the match. He's the best to do this. 

Blade: Waldner Senso Carbon ST
Forehand: T05 Black
Backhand: T05 Red

Braveheart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braveheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2006 at 11:42am
I only watch the ball during the service and in the short hits. After that, I only try to understand where the ball goes and^this, in my opinion, makes the difference between a champ and an amateur
Blade - Butterly X5 balsa carbo Off;
Front -Donic JO Platin soft 2mm
Back hand - BUTTERFLY Challenger 1.5 mm (short pips)
Style - Close table attack
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic