Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing Serve - how do I setup my Loop now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by heavyforehand heavyforehand wrote:

Makes sense. Only reason I know the guys rankings I listed is because I asked them. 

Any advice on the 1 inch split in my blade that I described? Just curious if thats going to be an issue.

If I end up needing to get a new blade in a few months I may go up a click to something like  the Stiga Offensive Classic or something very similar. I really love that bat. It is faster, thin and lighter than mine somehow even though it has max rubber. But for now the Appelgren is serving me well. I just hope it's not too damaged.

That usually requires a picture to evaluate. My guess is that since it is an inch, the split is significant in size but not terrible or it would obviously need replacement.  You could probably fix it easily with some crazy glue, and then decide if you want to change later.  Edge tape does protect blades and I recommend it.  Baal recommended to me some cheap tape that I bought from Amazon that has served me really well and lasts forever.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

heavyforehand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 2:24pm
Ok cool. I have some 12mm Donic tape and it went right through it real thin. Never done that before! lol. But if I keep playing this much I will need more than 1 blade anyway. For gear I like Rhyzm and Rakza 7 and could see myself using a thin OFF- blade which is why I like that stiga OC. Besides that I really don't think too much about it, and Im happy about that..haha. 

I'll try the crazy glue if it gets worse. 

Edited by heavyforehand - 09/17/2015 at 2:25pm
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (86 grams)

FH : Joola Rhyzm Max

BH : Joola Rhyzm Max

Weight - 186 grams
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Not sure what a low level rating is - 1000? Anyway, I never lose to those players to the point now where they do not play me anymore. In the past I would drop matches now and then to lower level guys but I see the game a little better now and don't really struggle unless the player is more advanced.

Ratings are hard to judge by visual inspection and I would not say a 1000 rating is low level - it's just that most players at that level or below have untrained technique or are just developing aspects of it so you can't tell what matchups they will struggle with - there is so much they can get better at that they struggle against many things usually all decent forms of pace and spin. Some of them may do one or two things decently with respect to pace or getting service spin, but nothing specially good.

If you don't know someone's rating, it's better to just say you aren't sure, though estimates based on scores against a bunch of other players are fine.  Just yesterday, someone saw me playing a match on video and estimated me at a 150-200 pts below my usual level.  But 150-200 pts at my level is significant.  As you get better, smaller rating differences are more meaningful as ratings become more reliable.

Bear in mind that I wasn't estimating your rating, but rather going by what I thought it was, which was high 1800's.  The purpose of the comment wasn't to estimate your rating but rather the difference between the two of you.

Plus people always look worse on tape.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Not sure what a low level rating is - 1000? Anyway, I never lose to those players to the point now where they do not play me anymore. In the past I would drop matches now and then to lower level guys but I see the game a little better now and don't really struggle unless the player is more advanced.

Ratings are hard to judge by visual inspection and I would not say a 1000 rating is low level - it's just that most players at that level or below have untrained technique or are just developing aspects of it so you can't tell what matchups they will struggle with - there is so much they can get better at that they struggle against many things usually all decent forms of pace and spin. Some of them may do one or two things decently with respect to pace or getting service spin, but nothing specially good.

If you don't know someone's rating, it's better to just say you aren't sure, though estimates based on scores against a bunch of other players are fine.  Just yesterday, someone saw me playing a match on video and estimated me at a 150-200 pts below my usual level.  But 150-200 pts at my level is significant.  As you get better, smaller rating differences are more meaningful as ratings become more reliable.

Bear in mind that I wasn't estimating your rating, but rather going by what I thought it was, which was high 1800's.  The purpose of the comment wasn't to estimate your rating but rather the difference between the two of you.

Plus people always look worse on tape.

Yeah, and I play too many tournament matches on 4 hours of sleep.  I actually considered playing this Sunday after not playing for four days because of the Flu.  That said, when I play Rich, I go back to the game I played when I was 1700 because it is much more effective than my 2000 game against him.  I have accepted that.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 4:39pm
Tell me about that...not to sidetrack the conversation but I will.  When you live 4 hours from a tournament, it takes weeks of planning and asking off.  

People that live close to tournaments sign up and cancel if they don't feel 100%.  I go and play even if my back is bad and I have to drive the night before and often barely sleep.  I've never cancelled a tournament, even ones where I know my rating is likely to get killed.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2015 at 6:49pm

I'll try the crazy glue if it gets worse. 

No, I suggest gluing it now or it will likely get worse.  Use either gel type super/krazy glue or regular old white (PVA) wood glue. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
heavyforehand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyforehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2015 at 10:34am
Ok I will get it fixed tonight.
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (86 grams)

FH : Joola Rhyzm Max

BH : Joola Rhyzm Max

Weight - 186 grams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic