Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stamina for one hour

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stamina for one hour
    Posted: 07/16/2006 at 5:08pm
I'm getting one-hour lessons with my coach, and last time I was getting really drained and fatigued, especially during drills.

What kind of tips do you have for increasing my stamina to last the full hour?

I'm trying to get more sleep. But what other things can I do? Eat carbs?
Sponsored Links

alink91 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alink91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2006 at 5:28pm
keep practicing, it will naturally go up. I wouldnt worry about it.
gundam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gundam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2006 at 7:39pm
Carbs will help, but soon you'll find that you'll be burning them up quickly.

I was able to increase my stamina through running and any other cardio excercises.
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2006 at 8:25pm
Any other dietary tips though? My coaching ends in little over a month, so exercise won't help me within such a short time.

I'm also drinking gatorade during lessons. Anything else I can consume?
kollins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2006 at 9:03pm
pre-hydrate! if your thirsty...its to late!
Shibutani ST
Tackifire C
Feint Soft
Patmandidily View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patmandidily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2006 at 10:26pm

Originally posted by pimpmyracket pimpmyracket wrote:

Any other dietary tips though? My coaching ends in little over a month, so exercise won't help me within such a short time.

I'm also drinking gatorade during lessons. Anything else I can consume?

Gatorade doesn't really help during exercise. You have to drink or eat electrolytes (salty foods, bananas, more) a bit before you play. Try also eating tons of carbs.

Blade - Bastian Steger Flared (Butterfly)
Rubber - Sriver 2.1 FH
              802-40 2.2 BH
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alink91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2006 at 12:08am
well if u wanna really improve ur stamina, then u shudnt drink too much stuff and relyu on ur body.
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2006 at 12:28am
Do aerobics, long distance running, swimming laps etc. All of those boost your stamina and help you live longer in the long run.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
azrin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2006 at 3:50am

a simple meal an hour before training is good. a bar of chocolate is good before training to boost your energy. well stamina comes with aerobic workouts...swimming is good especially the forward crawl (freestyle) for upper body and the backside kicking without the arm stroke for lower body.

AZNpenholdloop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZNpenholdloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2006 at 8:04am
watermelon, WATER?, about 2 hours before though, and jogging is good and fun!
Avalox 550
FH: Blue Whale II Factory Tuned 38 deg.
BH: White Shark II Factory Tuned
phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2006 at 8:06am

Good rest and pacing yourself will give you longevity.

Some things you can do off of technical training is to jog/run and do stamina building physical training.

Blade: Whatever is close
Rubber Sheet: Whatever still has some grip.
raptor3x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptor3x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2006 at 10:46am
Originally posted by pimpmyracket pimpmyracket wrote:

I'm getting one-hour lessons with my coach, and last time I was getting really drained and fatigued, especially during drills.

What kind of tips do you have for increasing my stamina to last the full hour?

I'm trying to get more sleep. But what other things can I do? Eat carbs?

It sounds like you're otherwise untrained so you should be able to increase your aerobic ability very quickly through 5 minute intervals. You can do these either running or on a bike, I'm a road racer so all my experience with them is on a bike. A simple workout for would go something like this:

10 minutes easy warm-up
1 minute Hard(these first two 1 minute intervals)
1 minute easy(prepare your legs to buffer lactic)
1 minute Hard(acid so the next intervals don't )
5 minutes easy(hurt as much)
5 minutes Hard
5 minutes easy(these bad boys put massive stress on)
5 minutes Hard(your aerobic system, which will increase)
5 minutes easy(VO_2_max quite rapidly)
5 minutes Hard
10 minutes easy

The trick is that when it says 'Hard', you have to go as hard as you can so that you're completely drained at the end of that particular interval (1 or 5 minutes) but you're also able to keep up the same power output for the entire thing. For someone starting out, I'd suggest a stationary bike or a road bike with a wind trainer if you can access either. Also, have plenty of fluids available. When I do a workout like this I usually go through about three bottles of water. If you attempt this workout don't be discouraged by your first attempt, you will most likely be unable to complete the workout I've prescribed if you go as hard as you're supposed to go.

If you can do this workout 2-3x a week you will see very significant results by the end of the second week. I guarantee that you will be amazed at how much your fitness will increase. Unfortunately, these intervals will only produce such rapid increases for a short while, at which point longer endurance trainer is needed to increase fitness.

Finally, these will be rather uncomfortable for you. They're only 5 minutes long, and you can do anything for just 5 minutes. The benefits will be more than worth it.

Edit: I forgot to add, if you're unable to do three just try and do two of them at first, the work your way up to three. If you're feeling like a stud at the end of #3, try to do four. The way to tell if you should knock one of is that if near the end of one of the intervals you cannot keep up the same intensity as the last interval no matter how hard you try, then the workout is over.
alink91 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alink91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2006 at 7:59pm
heres the thing, when we excercise and our legs hurt, that is a result of our bodys making latic acid which burns mucsle cells and its needed in order to creat a usable for of energy. We have 2 kinds of muscles, the one we train for is the type that allows us to have stamina. So, the more your mucsles hurt, the better the exercise for your muscles. So, if you do easy exercises then you wont make as much progress. Furthermore, if you want to gain your burned up muscles back really fast, take in lots of protein. That is why I say it comes naturally. If I were you, dont worry about it, being drained and fatigued does 2 things for you. It tests your motivation, you willingness to improve, and it allows you make your muslces stronger.
Sabito View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2006 at 9:40pm

if you get too fatigued and tired you wont have the willingness to make more, its like when youre running and you want more and more and you dont notice youre fatigued the next day for sure you'll be too lazy to continue, in this apocaliptic summer I'd recommend you to forget the Gatorade's propaganda, the guy running there wasnt expecting the challenge of making exercice during this very season.

Global warming's killing me, Im off!

anime_file View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anime_file Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2006 at 4:21pm
Also make sure you listen to the coach and do the stroke correctly etc. You spend less energy and still get the full power if you use ur body correctly.

O and there are these really good energy bars called Hooah! bars. They are made by the military for their soldiers. I personally think they help and I shaved minutes off my mile run but it may have been psychological heh.
BigJ99678 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigJ99678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2006 at 4:06am
just eat some chocolate b4 the lesson, good boost of energy.
You're lucky I suck
gigmyster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigmyster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2006 at 10:48pm
I know this sounds crazy but I take 1500 mg of L-arginine two hours before I play .. I can go for at least 3 strong hours without getting to tired... I also take some ginsing along with it... also try ( this is a good one) cordyceps   the chinese use this for stanima  useds in the 1993 olympic games....GIG
thunderblade
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic