Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Victas VS tack level

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Victas VS tack level
    Posted: 09/23/2015 at 4:55pm
After coming across the information that Victas is a sub-brand of TSP led by Koji Matshushita ; I started reading up on their VS (victas sticky) series.
I am under the impression that there are 2 rubbers in the VS series. Double extra and Limber.
Double extra about 48 and Limber marked at 40 deg.  Personally Double Extra is the one that I am eyeing since my ovp is starting to slip in humid conditions. She's getting old.
Since there is no news of Tau II, I will have to settle for something.
If nothing works, I am going back to my good old sigma 2 pro.

the characteristic I am interested in is the level of tack (stick). How does the tack par up to say Hurricane or skyline series? or perhaps  How does it par up to xiom tau, or vega china?

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2015 at 5:08pm
I am pretty sure Xiom has registered Tau 2 and Sigma 3 with the ittf. So they are coming but who knows exactly when

Edited by GeneralSpecific - 09/23/2015 at 5:09pm
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2015 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I am pretty sure Xiom has registered Tau 2 and Sigma 3 with the ittf.

Yes, they are both on the latest LARC for April-Sept 2015.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2015 at 5:53pm
I mean I saw tau ii on xiom's official website some time ago. hadn't heard since.
Thank you guys for bringing it to my attention.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2015 at 8:18pm
Firstly, the Double Extra and Limber are not rubber models, they refer to the sponge hardness, this terminology is used by all Victas rubbers. This is what it means:
  • Limber: 40deg
  • Regular: 42.5deg
  • Stiff: 45deg
  • Extra: 47.5deg
  • Double Extra: 50
  • Strangely the VS 401 is left out, as this has a supposed hardness of 57.5deg.

Source: http://tabletennis-reviews.com/victas-vs-402-double-extra-and-vs-402-limber

These rubbers are only mildly tacky, less than hurricane, similar to Tau and Vega China. However the topsheet is soft and extremely grippy, so spin is very high. The 401 is one of he spinniest rubber I've ever used. A;lthough the sponge is hard, it does not feel that hard, because of the soft topsheet.

Here you can read my reviews on the Victas 401 and Victas 402.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2015 at 10:48pm
Thanks haggisv for clarifying the hardness level. Yeah I have read your reviews.
ttdb had them as different rubbers which led me to believe that they were different.

How is the spin capability compared to chinese tacky rubbers? perhaps you can compare it to globe 999 national blue sponge.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2015 at 7:42pm
The spin would be at least as good as 999 National, but the sponge is much more lively, and it's also less sensitive to spin. You get the best spin from a brush-type loop, like you do with CHinese rubbers. Sponge is definitely softer than 999 Nat as well.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2015 at 8:31pm
Appreciate it.
how would you rate the durability. Think it would give 80-90+ hours of use ?

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2015 at 9:09pm
Durability is very good, but you've got to look after it... keep it clean and keep the plastic on when you're not using it. I clean it with water all the time, and a foam cleaner every so often, which is how I look after all my tacky rubbers.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2015 at 5:12am
Definately. I use protectors on all my rubbers. Chinese. Eu. Jap.

Thank you Sir.

p3v56yahoocom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3v56yahoocom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2016 at 11:10pm
haggisv, thank you very much for the detailed reviews on 401 and 402!  I am a big fan of Xiom Tau I.  I have learned that Xiom has discontinued Tau.  I am thinking 401 or 402 would be a good alternative.  May I ask if Tau's sponge being closer to 401 (57.5 degrees) or 402 Double Extra (50 degrees)? 
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2016 at 7:43am
Originally posted by p3v56yahoocom p3v56yahoocom wrote:

haggisv, thank you very much for the detailed reviews on 401 and 402!  I am a big fan of Xiom Tau I.  I have learned that Xiom has discontinued Tau.  I am thinking 401 or 402 would be a good alternative.  May I ask if Tau's sponge being closer to 401 (57.5 degrees) or 402 Double Extra (50 degrees)? 

Just wanted to chip in here - I've used VS 402 Limber for a while now and the topsheet isn't tacky at all - it's grippy, but pretty much standard ESN style.  I can't speak for 401, but if you want another tacky ESN option to replace Tau then 402 isn't it and 401 might be the better bet.  Something like Hybrid K1 Plus is probably a good option too, if you can get it.  At least it's mildly tacky.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2016 at 7:56am
Can vega china be an alternative tau? Tau came out after vega china but vega china is still easier to get.
Anyone waiting for tau II ?

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2016 at 8:00am
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

Can vega china be an alternative tau? Tau came out after vega china but vega china is still easier to get.
Anyone waiting for tau II ?

They should stick the Tau topsheet on the Omega V Asia sponge.  Boom.

Edited by AndySmith - 10/25/2016 at 8:00am
BaiMile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaiMile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2016 at 9:54am
Vega China is an alternative of Tau. Less tacky, less bounsy (strange, might be the blade + rubber combination),  chinese dead feel. High throw.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2016 at 7:38pm
Andy, they might just do it for tau II. I HAVE 0 idea when its releasing or if ever for that matter :(
That LARC is a curse

Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2016 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

Andy, they might just do it for tau II. I HAVE 0 idea when its releasing or if ever for that matter :(
That LARC is a curse

You don't need any additional approval if you put a different sponge under an already approved topsheet.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3v56yahoocom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2016 at 9:10pm
It'd be great if Xiom releases Tau II.  I highly doubt it though.  There aren't very many players who like sponge that hard.  I'm used to the Hurricane sponge from 10 years ago.  Tau is the closest thing to the olde-time speed-glued Hurricane. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3v56yahoocom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2016 at 12:25am
Since I couldn't get any new Tau rubbers, I bought two sheets of Vega China to give them a try.  Unfortunately the Vega China top sheet is nothing like Tau.  The Vega China sponge is firm but quite a bit softer than Tau.  Overall, Vega China is not for me.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3v56yahoocom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2016 at 3:41pm
I bought two sheets of VS 401 and played a couple of sessions with it. The 401 sponge is harder than Vega China but softer than Tau. The grip is much closer to Vega China than Tau. I would say Tau plays 90% like a Chinese rubber and 10% like a European rubber. On the other hand, 401 plays 70% like a European rubber and 30% like a Chinese rubber. I'm still searching for a replacement for my beloved Tau. Does anyone know if there are other ESN rubbers that play like Tau?    
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2016 at 10:26pm
I think the VS 401 sponge is at least as hard as that of Tau, but the topsheet of VS 401 is much softer. I did like Tau, but found VS 401 to be much spinnier at low impact, like for pushes or slow spinny loops.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3v56yahoocom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2016 at 10:44pm
hi haggisv, what is the best way to generate spin with 401?  When you loop, do you have an European stroke or Chinese stroke (straight arm, more brushing)? 
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2016 at 5:54am
Definitely more of a Chinese stroke. If you get your timing right, it's one of the spinniest rubbers on the market.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2016 at 8:34am
I've used the VS >401 for the past couple of years in 2.0mm on my forehand and I'll echo what Haggisv says: VERY spinny; hard responsive sponge; soft topsheet. Great control and very well suited for chinese-style brush loops.

Not sticky enough to pick up a ball, but there is a definite slight tackiness to it (particularly if you keep it clean and keep it in plastic).
Grab my game-changing new book and to your game to the next level!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic