FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Throwback Thursday

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throwback Thursday
    Posted: 10/08/2015 at 8:50am
My step around FH loop from 1995 (I think).

An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2015 at 10:09am
Wow....
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2015 at 10:52am
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

My step around FH loop from 1995 (I think).

Terrifying.  Puts me in mind of my step-around forehand from 1967, except you're better looking and I didn't have those tree trunk calves and thighs.Big smile

Edited by berndt_mann - 10/08/2015 at 10:55am
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2015 at 11:18am
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Terrifying.  Puts me in mind of my step-around forehand from 1967, except you're better looking and I didn't have those tree trunk calves and thighs.Big smile

Berndt, my arms had substance as well.

Edited by heavyspin - 10/08/2015 at 11:20am
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2015 at 11:21am

Forget your muscles, your feet look massive!
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2015 at 11:37am
I hope this isn't out of line, but what do you suppose changed that you put on weight?  Did you stop playing for a while?  Take some sort of medicine?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2015 at 11:43am
I second cole's question. Also were you a professional bodybuilder or a power lifter back in the day?
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2015 at 12:13pm
Nice Pic...and the Short Shorts...lol LOL
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2015 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I hope this isn't out of line, but what do you suppose changed that you put on weight?  Did you stop playing for a while?  Take some sort of medicine?

A fair question as long as we spare the psycho-analysis. I've always been an over eater, even in these photos. I was young enough to burn it off, probably a form of exercise bulimia. Eating a large pizza followed by a 3 mile run, for example. When age caught up to me, I dug too deep to recover. I've had a modest turn around improving my health this year and plan to continue. Had a bowl of kale last night after a bicycle ride to and from a 2 hour table tennis session. 

To answer another question, I trained at one time to compete in power lifting. That was until I realized I was better suited for weight lifting, but that short lived when I fell in love with Table Tennis. The rest is history.

Edited by heavyspin - 10/08/2015 at 2:11pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2015 at 2:31pm

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

A fair question as long as we spare the psycho-analysis. I've always been an over eater, even in these photos. I was young enough to burn it off, probably a form of exercise bulimia. Eating a large pizza followed by a 3 mile run, for example. When age caught up to me, I dug too deep to recover. I've had a modest turn around improving my health this year and plan to continue. Had a bowl of kale last night after a bicycle ride to and from a 2 hour table tennis session. 

To answer another question, I trained at one time to compete in power lifting. That was until I realized I was better suited for weight lifting, but that short lived when I fell in love with Table Tennis. The rest is history.

I've seen the then and now, can't wait to see the future.
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2015 at 3:01pm
pomp you opp

:)
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2015 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

Forget your muscles, your feet look massive!

Yeah.  Those guns of yours are pretty formidable too.  A serious pair of howitzers to go with the tree trunk thighs and calves and that step around forehand for all seasons
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 9:09am

Awesome, I'll trade-in my ALC+tensors for these guns any day
mycuzinvinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycuzinvinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 9:43am
Keep thinking some commercial way back when, "We wear short shorts"....
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 9:48am

heavyspin: were you ever a terminator sent back from the future to defeat and weaken the resolve of up-and-coming kids who otherwise would grow up and rule the TT world?
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 9:51am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

heavyspin: were you ever a terminator sent back from the future to defeat and weaken the resolve of up-and-coming kids who otherwise would grow up and rule the TT world?

From heavyspin's highlight video I've seen, I'm convinced that he was sent to defeat all the young cho-monsters that are slowly rising in numbers! :)

Edited by DreiZ - 10/09/2015 at 9:52am
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 3:01pm
I neglected to mention that the original photo (the forehand) was taken after having lost 50 lbs earlier in that year. I dropped 50 lbs, from Feb to June, mostly by diet and running, partly by TT practice. Near the end of June that year I reached the semi's of the U-2400 at the US Open. Perhaps there's a correlation between getting in shape and playing well.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2015 at 3:31pm

I neglected to mention that the original photo (the forehand) was taken after having lost 50 lbs earlier in that year. I dropped 50 lbs, from Feb to June, mostly by diet and running, partly by TT practice. Near the end of June that year I reached the semi's of the U-2400 at the US Open. Perhaps there's a correlation between getting in shape and playing well.

Nah, in your case, it's clearly in part because you are a gifted athlete.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic