Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seal -> Sand? Or Sand -> Seal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
realmisr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realmisr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seal -> Sand? Or Sand -> Seal?
    Posted: 10/10/2015 at 12:24am
Hey guys, quick and maybe silly question:

For blades with super smooth surfaces which require sanding for glue to attach:

Are you supposed to seal the blade first and then sand? Or sand the blade first then seal and add glue?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 1:04am
Actually, I would lightly sand (so the sealant can enter), seal, and lightly sand again (to increase the surface area for the glue to attach).

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 10/10/2015 at 3:04am
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 1:41am
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

Actually, I would lightly sand (so the sealant can enter), seal, and lightly sand again (to increase the surface area for the glue to attach.
+1
realmisr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realmisr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 10:27am
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

Actually, I would lightly sand (so the sealant can enter), seal, and lightly sand again (to increase the surface area for the glue to attach).

Ah ok, thanks!

I always thought sealing + sanding basically takes the seal off so it's counter intuitive...

Does this not happen?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 10:57am
I am not sure you need to re-seal for blades that are already so sealed that you can't get the rubber to stick without sanding them a bit.  If you are really worried, you can put a light layer of hair spray on the blade, let it dry, and then attach you rubbers. 
realmisr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realmisr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I am not sure you need to re-seal for blades that are already so sealed that you can't get the rubber to stick without sanding them a bit.  If you are really worried, you can put a light layer of hair spray on the blade, let it dry, and then attach you rubbers. 

Oh hair spray? Interesting...Could you explain what that layer of hair spray does on top of the sealed blade?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 11:43am
The reason people seal blades is to keep pieces of wood from coming away with the blade when you remove the rubber.  Water based glues have pretty strong adhesion compared to old speed glues we used to use so it becomes a bigger issue.  The downside of sealing a blade is that it makes the top layer harder, and that can have very bad effect on playing properties if you over seal.  That is why you should not use things like polyurethane or anything like that, and any sealant you do use should be a very light coat and ideally something actually designed for this purpose.  For some blades, the entire playing property is based on having a somewhat softer surface (for example most Butterfly ALC blades).  A light layer of old-fashioned hair spray does exactly the same thing as sealing, it makes it possible to remove the rubber safely, but it does not affect playing properties.  You have to do it each time you glue down a rubber. Some blades (certain Stiga blades in particular) are actually designed to have a quite hard outer layer and they have been treated in some way to accomplish that*.  UV light was one way they used to get that effect (it added cross-link covalent bonds to the wood) but what they do now is probably a chemical treatment.  The resulting effect can make the rubber hard or almost impossible to attach.  In fact, with a blade like that, the last thing you need to worry about is taking away wood pieces when you detach a rubber.  Instead, you have to use a stronger glue and/or sand very lightly to even get them to adhere.  With blades like that, you really don't need a sealer but if you feel compelled, I suggest the hair spray.

* One of the differences between the TBS and the TB-ALC that people don't talk about much is that the TB-ALC outer layer has had some kind of treatment like that, it tends to be a bit shinier.
realmisr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realmisr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 11:51am

The reason people seal blades is to keep pieces of wood from coming away with the blade when you remove the rubber.  Water based glues have pretty strong adhesion compared to old speed glues we used to use so it becomes a bigger issue.  The downside of sealing a blade is that it makes the top layer harder, and that can have very bad effect on playing properties if you over seal.  That is why you should not use things like polyurethane or anything like that, and any sealant you do use should be a very light coat and ideally something actually designed for this purpose.  For some blades, the entire playing property is based on having a somewhat softer surface (for example most Butterfly ALC blades).  A light layer of old-fashioned hair spray does exactly the same thing as sealing, it makes it possible to remove the rubber safely, but it does not affect playing properties.  You have to do it each time you glue down a rubber. Some blades (certain Stiga blades in particular) are actually designed to have a quite hard outer layer and they have been treated in some way to accomplish that*.  UV light was one way they used to get that effect (it added cross-link covalent bonds to the wood) but what they do now is probably a chemical treatment.  The resulting effect can make the rubber hard or almost impossible to attach.  In fact, with a blade like that, the last thing you need to worry about is taking away wood pieces when you detach a rubber.  Instead, you have to use a stronger glue and/or sand very lightly to even get them to adhere.  With blades like that, you really don't need a sealer but if you feel compelled, I suggest the hair spray.

* One of the differences between the TBS and the TB-ALC that people don't talk about much is that the TB-ALC outer layer has had some kind of treatment like that, it tends to be a bit shinier.

I see...Thanks for the detailed explanation!

So a thin layer of hairspray -> let it dry -> apply glue as usual to blade? 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 11:57am
yep.  Old fashioned hair spray if you can still find it.
realmisr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realmisr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 11:59am

yep.  Old fashioned hair spray if you can still find it.

"old fashioned hair spray" is the name of the hair spray? Or is that the type of hair spray I want? Shocked

I get this when I type in "old fashioned hair spray"

http://www.resthairation.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=70

I usually try to get stuff off amazon prime, but couldn't find "old fashioned hair spray" on there.
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 12:18pm
lol
I think Baal meant any ordinary hair spray :D
realmisr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realmisr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 12:19pm
lol...Yea, I just want to make sure...I'm just not sure what makes hair spray old fashioned vs new-school?
vajica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vajica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 12:23pm
the new school hair stuff nowadays are mostly foams or sth like that, which are environment-friendly, old school hairsprays are killing the ozone layer as can recall...
realmisr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realmisr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 12:29pm
Do you reckon something like this is fine?

http://www.amazon.com/John-Frieda-Frizz-Moisture-Barrier/dp/B006OHM542/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444494214&sr=8-1&keywords=hair+spray
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 4:31pm
That will work perfectly.
realmisr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realmisr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2015 at 4:44pm
Awesome, thanks so much Baal!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic