FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

BTY poly balls vs the World

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BTY poly balls vs the World
    Posted: 10/12/2015 at 3:58pm
Ok...if you've read any of my posts this past year you would know I haven't been a big fan of the poly balls to say the least. Many improvements have been made however and they have gotten better. Many players on this forum said they preferred XSF poly balls because they were durable and had a better bounce. I started playing with them a few months ago and I agree, they are pretty good so all was well with the world of TT again.

There has been 1 poly ball that I really disliked though, and it's the BTY one. The ball bounces noticeably less than the XSF ball and for that reason it's a real change playing with it.  Many of them have cracked as well so they have not been very durable and at $3+ per ball they are not cheap. For the most part I have avoided them these last few months and played mostly with the XSF poly balls, but then the BTY balls reared their ugly head again recently. Some of the club players have insisted on playing with them recently because the upcoming tournaments they were signed up for were sponsored by BTY and were therefore using the BTY poly balls.

My concern is that if we don't get some other major sponsors/manufacturers to start supporting the seamless balls like the XSF ones the BTY poly balls may end up dominating tournament/club play. I've heard a rumor that Joola would start coming out with seamless poly balls and that would be great, but until then I'm afraid we might have to keep switching. Any others feel that way out there?
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 4:30pm
In a couple of months we will have Btfly G40+.  They will be better I am guessing.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 4:32pm
BTY 40+ or BTY G40+ (made in germany)?

I haven't tried either but wanted to know which one are you talking about in your post.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 4:34pm
G40+ is the German ball.  There is a review at Table Tennis Daily, they clearly bounce high and the description of them made them sound a bit like NP40+.  We will be able to buy them in the US in either late October or mid-December, depending on which of the two conflicting things written on the Btfly North America website is  actually true.
rick_ys_ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick_ys_ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 4:43pm
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2015 at 4:09pm
Thanks for posting the youtube link to demonstrate the new BTY G40+ balls. I heard they were not as durable, but according to these 2 guys that reviewed them none of the new balls cracked during the few hours they tried them.  That's good news. The bounce looked much better, so can't wait till we get these balls in the US. They are supposedly made of a different plastic material though so there will still be an issue of difference among the new plastic balls of other brands. Don't know where this will all end, but the new G40+ balls look like they will be much better as far as bounce than the current BTY poly balls. Thanks again for posting.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2015 at 4:35pm
If the volkswagen ones are $3 each how much are the Mercedes Benz of Butterfly balls, $9?
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2015 at 6:28am
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
Rhainur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhainur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2015 at 7:34am
I asked about which plastic balls to buy in this thread: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73726

and ended up trying out the Butterfly G40+ and was very disappointed.

Here's my review from the other thread:

I ordered a couple of packs of the Butterfly G40+ and while I had no problem with the bounce, I was really disappointed with the quality control. I've opened 2 packs of 12 so far, and in both packs I found 3-4 balls that were clearly, visibly not round in a simple "spin on the table" test.

Two of the coaches at my club tested out all the balls for both roundness and hardness and were pretty disappointed at the quality for how much is being charged for these balls. Out of the 24 balls they tested, they rated 2 as being perfect, 13 as being playable and 9 that should not have been stamped as 3-star.

Personally, while playing with them, I was really unhappy with the durability. With the Tibhar 40+ SL balls that I owned previously, the main way their lifespan ended was due to a tiny crack appearing somewhere in the surface, usually due to an edge shot. Whenever this happened the sound of the ball changed pretty quickly and it was easy to spot.

I've gone through 10 of the Butterfly balls so far (in around 6-7 days Cry) and every single one was lost due to the same reason. At some point during play, an edge shot managed to leave a slight dent in the surface. The really annoying thing about this is that I have to check the ball every time there is an edge shot (which can happen a lot during practice) because there's no change in sound, and I only found out about it the first couple of times because of weird wobbles in the spin and weird bounces off the table.

I definitely do not think that their high cost is justified. They are neither "perfectly round" nor "highly durable" as they try to claim in that video. Sure, the balls never cracked during practice but a dented ball is just as unusable, of course.

Edited by Rhainur - 12/23/2015 at 7:36am
Rhainur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhainur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2015 at 7:54am
I've tried to photograph the dents, but it's a bit hard to capture in a still photo. You can see the dents clearly if you can just rotate the ball a bit but I can't be bothered to upload a video, so here are 2 balls with the dents circled to indicate what I'm talking about.

http://imgur.com/a/rzolQ

Both of these balls have been used for maybe 2-3 hours of practice
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2015 at 1:18pm
I know what you mean by 'ball doesn't change sound'. I hit a ball right in the point where all 3 edges of the table meet, an that broke a little hole in the ball, like a circle with 3mm diameter. However if you just bounce the ball around it doesn't sound broken, and bounces the same, unless it falls onto the hole. It was actually to continue playing with a ball that had a hole in it and only if the rubber or the table touched the hole you felt something. 
As for roundness though, i bought 2 boxes of 12 from a local dealer and they have all been perfect. And I am very sensitive for that and inspect them carefully. As a matter of fact, I am yet to see a wobbly G40 ball. I am very surprised by your report. I can suggest trying a different dealer, hoping that the dealer you used got some bad batch.
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2015 at 1:24pm
I like the G40 but can't find people who want to play with it. Mostly because of the sound. But penetration is just so much better with the G40. Flies further, and retains spin further.
But the difference with XSF is just too much for one to casually switch balls regularly, especially before tournament. This problem needs to be sorted out. The balls have very different BITE that requires some adjustment. Flight path is different too, with XSF ball curving earlier than the G40. No other ball bites like G40. 
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2015 at 3:08pm
No it's not. Players in Europe are having to cope with the different plastic balls and celluloid regularly. France still officially uses the celluloid ball.
It's not that great a bother. It's no more difficult than playing in strange, humid or not  halls, or on funny tables with strange varying lighting and slippery vs non-slip floors or cold Vs hot halls etc.

Just be positive, balls are the least of your TT problems and the issue will sort itself in a couple of years.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Rhainur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhainur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2015 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

As a matter of fact, I am yet to see a wobbly G40 ball. I am very surprised by your report. I can suggest trying a different dealer, hoping that the dealer you used got some bad batch.

I bought it from TT11 who have normally been pretty good in the past. When these run out, I'm probably going to end up ordering another box of Tibhar balls as everyone at my club seems pretty happy with those.

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2015 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

No it's not. Players in Europe are having to cope with the different plastic balls and celluloid regularly. France still officially uses the celluloid ball.
It's not that great a bother. It's no more difficult than playing in strange, humid or not  halls, or on funny tables with strange varying lighting and slippery vs non-slip floors or cold Vs hot halls etc.

Just be positive, balls are the least of your TT problems and the issue will sort itself in a couple of years.

Never imagined that this old russian saying could be applicable to table tennis:

"плохому танцору яйца мешают" - literally, a bad dancer is impeded even by /his own/ balls.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic