FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Topspin -contact-ball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2015 at 6:42am
Mark,

I would bet a gazillion dollars that your power issues stem from poor coordination between your backswing and forward swing. You are most likely stopping at the end of your backswing without realizing it (due to arriving to it too early), and unable to whip the racket effectively. I am dealing with this problem myself right now.

None of this has anything to do with some mystical wrist action/ulnar deviation/wrist extension crap before or during contact. Just let your wrist be as relaxed as possible and let it do whatever it wants to do. Guys like Werner Schlager, Brett Clarke, and even heavyspin reach a position of wrist extension as a result of their relaxation, while Ma Lin and Ben Larcombe appear to display more ulnar/radial deviation. But it doesn't really matter as everyone is different and has a different level of flexibility in the wrist.

If you are below 2000 and lacking power, your issue is either a relaxation issue or a timing/coordination between backswing/forward swing issue. And they are both related.

Edited by Ringer84 - 10/16/2015 at 8:12am
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2015 at 9:47am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Zeio,

If 0 deg is with the blade face parallel to the floor and 90 deg is with the blade face vertical,
could you describe how the blade face angle changes during the wrist movement upward and the pronating of the forearm.   I am sure it varies somewhat for different types and positions of incoming balls but could you give me an approximate idea.

Also could you provide a link to a slow motion video where I can see this movement. In the few I have found I can not readily identify the motion you are describing. I am currently trying to move to using harder and tackier rubber (using Big Dipper now and considering Hurricane 3 Neo) and am interested in getting the motion correct.

Mark
For radial deviation of the wrist, fast-forward to 00:35 in the video below:

Note that the range of motion as demonstrated is hugely exaggerated to put the point across.  When actually playing, your wrist and forearm would move much less than that, which makes it difficult to find any slow-mo video for either movement as the degree of motion is really small to capture on video.  In several Taiwanese studies, reflective markers are placed on the test subjects to capture and calculate the degree and speed of motion for various joints of the upper body.  Like you said, they vary for different strokes and shakehand/penhold grips.  For a fast loop, the wrist and forearm move roughly 20 degrees during the swing.

Below is a plot of Chiang Peng-lung's wrist and forearm movement:

Edited by zeio - 10/16/2015 at 11:19am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2015 at 11:46am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Zeio,

If 0 deg is with the blade face parallel to the floor and 90 deg is with the blade face vertical,
could you describe how the blade face angle changes during the wrist movement upward and the pronating of the forearm.   I am sure it varies somewhat for different types and positions of incoming balls but could you give me an approximate idea.

Also could you provide a link to a slow motion video where I can see this movement. In the few I have found I can not readily identify the motion you are describing. I am currently trying to move to using harder and tackier rubber (using Big Dipper now and considering Hurricane 3 Neo) and am interested in getting the motion correct.

Mark
For radial deviation of the wrist, fast-forward to 00:35 in the video below:

Note that the range of motion as demonstrated is hugely exaggerated to put the point across.  When actually playing, your wrist and forearm would move much less than that, which makes it difficult to find any slow-mo video for either movement as the degree of motion is really small to capture on video.  In several Taiwanese studies, reflective markers are placed on the test subjects to capture and calculate the degree and speed of motion for various joints of the upper body.  Like you said, they vary for different strokes and shakehand/penhold grips.  For a fast loop, the wrist and forearm move roughly 20 degrees during the swing.

Below is a plot of Chiang Peng-lung's wrist and forearm movement:

Fantastic diagram, helped me confirm my arm / wrist angles during the back swing and acceleration and corrected it during the follow thru.  Can't wait to put it into practice.
orionilian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orionilian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2015 at 12:33pm
Some rubbers "eject" the ball too much - kind of tensor rubbers.Spin is "fixed"  - no time for long contact .
Example : With Dawei 388 A-4(without glue) I make more spin (slow topsin with rounded-wrist and forearm) . With tensor - less spin
I am sure for that .
orionilian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orionilian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2015 at 6:11pm
The arc doesn't make sense, the ball is simply not on the rubber surface for long enough to roll around it
No.
The arc does make sense, because the ball "stay" on the rubber long (rounded with light bite)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic