Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quiet Eye Technique

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zephyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zephyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quiet Eye Technique
    Posted: 11/24/2015 at 12:32pm
Has anyone heard of the quiet eye technique ?From the link, " It refers to a gaze behaviour observed immediately prior to movement in aiming tasks.  An example of this is during a basketball free-throw: when a skilled individual prepares for their shot, they generally pause with their eyes steady on the target before initiating the movement of the shot.  The final pause where their gaze remains steady on a single location before the movement is defined as the QE in this task." ... "Similar gaze behaviour is seen in a number of other aiming based tasks such as archery, darts, golf, football, ice hockey, shooting, snooker table tennis, tennis, and a number of other sports."

Do you use the quiet eye technique at all or have any tips in how to apply it to table tennis? One of the ways I have found it useful, before even knowing about the technique, is staring at the ball for as long as possible when the opponent is going to serve.

What do you all think about this technique? Is it as applicable to table tennis as other sports in spite of the speed and reaction times needed in table tennis?

Edited by zephyr - 11/24/2015 at 12:34pm
Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 1:00pm
Interesting article. First time, I've heard of this. 
I would think Quite Eye phenomena occurs when someone is quite confident and comfortable he/she is going to make the shot or win the tournament or accomplish whatever they trying to do.

I would think eye is reflecting the mood of the person. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 1:05pm
I've never heard of it before. Interesting concept. I played basketball when I was younger. I also shoot handguns and a bow. I can see some similarities in targeting in all the activities.
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 2:20pm
To be honest, I'm a bit confused about whether the QE in table tennis would refer to intently staring at the ball before contact, or staring at the location on the table where you are trying to hit the ball.  

Quote Referring back to a golf putting example, limiting one’s self to a single but prolonged look at the hole (~2seconds seems about right) and then swiftly directing gaze back to the back of the ball for a further 2s before putting is a much more efficient strategy when only task relevant information is processed.

So which is the QE?

As a sidenote, The Inner Game of Tennis talked about these type of topics back in the 70's: Visualization and intently staring at the ball.  So it's definitely not a new idea.

Edited by Ringer84 - 11/24/2015 at 2:22pm
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
zephyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zephyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 2:32pm
If you look at pictures of the top pros hitting forehands, it seems that they don't watch contact point.

Which is contrast to tennis where, Federer for instance, watches the ball to contact and after.

This picture of wang liqin looks similar to the fed one though:

Nothing I'm saying is definitive, just trying to look for examples.

Great paper on gaze in tennis, which could be equatable to table tennis: http://www.internationaltennisacademy.net/resources/Research_proposal_Gaze_Lafont.pdf

Edited by zephyr - 11/24/2015 at 3:24pm
zephyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zephyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 3:39pm
I think this might be the key to quiet eye in TT. "Before interception,
the participants even maintained a stable gaze on a location in advance of the ball even showed that in general elite batsmen do not watch the ball  continuously. They have a distinct eye and head movement strategy to view the ball at crucial moment during its flight. Hence, contrary to the coach’s advice “keep your eye on the ball,” when a ball moves fast, the ball-tracking strategy may not always be possible or appropriate"
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 4:48pm
I have to use my peripheral vision at a certain point, but many players watch the ball all the way to contact....

Edited by LOOPMEISTER - 11/24/2015 at 4:50pm
Fidelio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fidelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by zephyr zephyr wrote:

If you look at pictures of the top pros hitting forehands, it seems that they don't watch contact point.

Which is contrast to tennis where, Federer for instance, watches the ball to contact and after.

This picture of wang liqin looks similar to the fed one though:

Nothing I'm saying is definitive, just trying to look for examples.

Great paper on gaze in tennis, which could be equatable to table tennis: http://www.internationaltennisacademy.net/resources/Research_proposal_Gaze_Lafont.pdf

Interesting points, although having some background in tennis, Federer's extended gaze on the contact point has often been cited as an anomaly in tennis (that is, he watches the contact point for a much longer time than other players).
Da Baobei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Baobei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2015 at 4:32am
I think the reason why Wang Hao is not watching the ball in the picture is because he is about to smash it. In this case he probably wants to watch his opponent, to get an idea where to hit, rather than watching the the ball right until contact. If there is no tricky spin on the ball there is very little chance to miss for a player of his class.

In most other pictures he also keeps the eye on the ball.

Edited by Da Baobei - 11/25/2015 at 4:34am
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2015 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Fidelio Fidelio wrote:

Interesting points, although having some background in tennis, Federer's extended gaze on the contact point has often been cited as an anomaly in tennis (that is, he watches the contact point for a much longer time than other players).
Yes, Federer's extended gaze is quite unusual. In recent analysis of Federer and Dojokovic, apparently Dojokovic does not watch the ball on contact, he is actually looking at the opponent. According to the analyst this due to his stroke being so precise he doesn't need to watch the ball all the way to contact. 

I noticed in TT, quite a few players are not looking at the ball - their eyes are on their opponents. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2015 at 4:28pm
When receiving serve in TT it is more beneficial to watch the servers bat than the ball so you can read what he is about to do to it. 
In rallies track your opponents bat on outgoing, and the ball on incoming, by looking straight at the opponents bat when you hit the ball because if it is going to come back, that is where its coming from. This will aid greatly in you being able to read your opponents intentions and if worked at( and in my opinion many players spend too long regular drilling) it can lead to a dramatic improvement in a player.
The Older I get, The better I was.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic