Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Balsa core, light, and high spin... Any ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balsa core, light, and high spin... Any ideas?
    Posted: 04/24/2016 at 4:41pm
Anyone have some suggestions on a wood stack for a blade that the customer insists MUST have a Balsa core but wants MAX SPIN and very light weight (on 40+ balls).  All the balsa core requests I have had in the past were for FAST blades.  I was thinking limba outters but customer says no to limba (and No to kiri core)
Ratt "ghost" (OS kiri, balsa, kiri) innova UL/ Tibhar Grass D.tecs
Ratt "mouse" (mahogany, 3- kiri, mahogany) T05/ giant dragon talon
Tibhar Furious/ juic 999/ Tibhar Grass D.Tecs
Ross Leidy custom
Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2016 at 3:07am
Donic cayman, not sure of the outer plies
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
JEAus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2016 at 7:17pm
I've tried a range of custom and stock balsa cored blades. I think what you need for maximum spin is a soft outer layer with a hard inner layer over the balsa.
I found western red cedar works well as a soft outer, and any hard wood will work as the medial layer.
The harder the medial layer, and the thicker the outer layer the better, but those choices have to be balanced against the desired weight.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Jonathan
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2016 at 8:25pm
Joola Cool
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2016 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by cgswss cgswss wrote:

Anyone have some suggestions on a wood stack for a blade that the customer insists MUST have a Balsa core but wants MAX SPIN and very light weight (on 40+ balls).  All the balsa core requests I have had in the past were for FAST blades.  I was thinking limba outters but customer says no to limba (and No to kiri core)

A thick balsa core would make the blade stiff; and stiff blades are not the best blades for creating spin.  Most thick balsa blades are favored by hitters/blockers who value speed more than spin.

does your customer want a slow defensive blade?  A thin balsa core with soft outer veneers may work.  Look at the Dr N's Barricade or Re-Impact Medusa.  these blades are thin, very light weight (~60gms) despite being oversized, flexible and can create spin.  Unfortunately, these blades are also dead slow.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2016 at 7:59pm
Surprised noone has mentioned this - BTY BalsaCarbo X5. Super light, soft, spinny, carbon for stability/not too much flex, comfortable handle. Only drawback its very delicate and can damage really easily.

It's 7mm thick. Basswood - carbon - balsa - carbon - basswood

Or Tibhar Rapid Carbon Light Ayous - ayous - carbon - balsa - carbon - ayous - ayous
Also 7mm.

Both sub 80g blades.

Can base your model off these two.

Edited by DreiZ - 04/28/2016 at 8:24pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2016 at 10:57pm
You can get really good spin on balsa blades, as long as you brush the ball, so that you can take advantage of the high dwell time of the soft balsa. If you're more of loop-drive or hitter, the balsa has a really fast rebound, making balsa less suitable. I used the Re-impact Smart personally, and it's extremely spinny with the right rubber, and the blades are very light (low sixties gramms).

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
TRICKY1 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRICKY1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2016 at 3:37pm
Assuming the customer does not want any composite and must have Balsa I would use a 4mm Balsa core oriented horizontally. The the trade off is spliced Balsa versus a more flexible blade. Aspen outers in the range of 1.25 - 1.5mm would be a great compliment to the Balsa, although Ayous or Okoume would also be suitable. Rabbit hide glue would be preferrable over standard hide glue. Standard hide glue would make the structure stiff.

The alternative, if the customer is okay with a composite, is the same construction above with a carbon veil .025mm between the outers and core would be great. This would permit the outers to be reduced in thickness to maintain a flexible structure. Vinylester resin or epoxy resin would be required for the adhesive. 

Regards,
Tricky1
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2016 at 5:58pm
TSP Versal.
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2016 at 6:08pm
Funny how people keep on recommending certain commercial blades. I wonder if they actually read the OP.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2016 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by cgswss cgswss wrote:

Willow.  That's what I look for in my hardbat blades.  Willow outer plies.  The willow is soft and it feels like the ball stays on the blade longer (It probably doesn't but the psychological effect of the feel may be just as important.) which seems to help me generate more spin without the advantage of sponge.  This is a common outer ply for defensive blades.

Edited by wturber - 05/19/2016 at 6:15pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2016 at 7:25pm
Best one:

Balsa Carbo X5 ST 82 grams very spiny and sensitive blade from the 1st generation.
TRICKY1 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRICKY1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2016 at 10:43am
If you like Willow you will love Aspen. It is softer than the softest variety of Willow (Salix Nigra) with a more consistent grain and texture, albeit not much to look at. I have tried to procure Willow (here in the USA) and my veneer supplier indicated he has never seen sliced Willow veneer. I know that Willow veneer can be procured from China but, there are so many varieties that you are unlikely to be getting Salix Nigra which is the most desirable. There are not too many woods with the elasticity of Willow but, there are some that are very close that are softer, more consistent, and less fibrous in their raw form. I provide this data purely for information purposes with the utmost respect for your opinions and hope it does not sound confrontational.  
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2016 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by TRICKY1 TRICKY1 wrote:

If you like Willow you will love Aspen. It is softer than the softest variety of Willow (Salix Nigra) with a more consistent grain and texture, albeit not much to look at. I have tried to procure Willow (here in the USA) and my veneer supplier indicated he has never seen sliced Willow veneer. I know that Willow veneer can be procured from China but, there are so many varieties that you are unlikely to be getting Salix Nigra which is the most desirable. There are not too many woods with the elasticity of Willow but, there are some that are very close that are softer, more consistent, and less fibrous in their raw form. I provide this data purely for information purposes with the utmost respect for your opinions and hope it does not sound confrontational.  

Not at all.  My knowledge about willow is almost 100% based on my experience with commercially made defensive blades with an outer ply of willow. I don't recall ever hearing about aspen being used as a layer in a blade.  If I run across a blade with aspen I'll see if I can try it out.

Edited by wturber - 05/20/2016 at 8:01pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2016 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I bet you meant "If I run across a blade with aspen, I'll see if I can try it out."

Yep.  I just corrected the error in the original post.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
CroNone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CroNone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2016 at 8:50pm
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/neottec-balsa-carbon

By far my favorite light, carbon blade. The ST handle comes in around 72-73 grams. With T05 on the FH and a lighter BH rubber, it feels very balanced. 
I bought a second one for my back up bat as well. I've tried the Balsa Carbo X5 and it's a good one too.  
bully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2016 at 12:20am
TSP Versal...just hinoki and balsa core.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2016 at 1:07am
Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

Best one:

Balsa Carbo X5 ST 82 grams very spiny and sensitive blade from the 1st generation.
I used the X5 a few years back and really enjoyed it.  However, they had serious problems with quality control. A lot of those paddles broke. I had one where the layers of wood actually de-laminated, causing them to separate.  Anyway, I thought they stopped making the X5?

Juic makes an excellent balsa.  Maybe Balsa-C? Something like that.  I know a couple of people who use it and I've tried it once or twice. Great control, excellent performance.
Tabmini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2016 at 10:01am
TSP balsa series might serve your desire.
My feedback :
mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77680&PID=959859󪕳
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 8:08am
This thead has kinda lost its way.  this was about a wood combo for me to make up a blade for a customer.

This is what we ended up with.

the core is 3mm balsa with the grain going horzonal.  on each side there is a 1 mm balsa vertical. Then 1mm black limba outers.  the handle is made up from kiri.  So far he likes it very much.  Weight wise it was the top of his window at 79g.  I played against him for about 20 min.  with T25FX he gets fantastic spin.  his loop was long, but thats just adjusting to what ended up being a fast blade.  He's a higher rated player then I, but between him missing on his loops and and his dislike of playing against long pips, I beat him a couple of games.  But he played against a couple of other guys after me that play a much faster game and he beat them every game.  SO a happy customer, with a ugly blade (very plain, no fancy handle, plain outters)  the glue up of the blade was done with hot hide glue, the grip was glued with PR glue
Ratt "ghost" (OS kiri, balsa, kiri) innova UL/ Tibhar Grass D.tecs
Ratt "mouse" (mahogany, 3- kiri, mahogany) T05/ giant dragon talon
Tibhar Furious/ juic 999/ Tibhar Grass D.Tecs
Ross Leidy custom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic