Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Camps for Kids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camps for Kids
    Posted: 04/30/2016 at 6:57pm
I'm thinking about sending my daughter (10 years old) to a camp or two this summer.  I'm looking for suggestions, recommendations, or other brilliant ideas.  

bes
Sponsored Links

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by bes bes wrote:

I'm thinking about sending my daughter (10 years old) to a camp or two this summer.  I'm looking for suggestions, recommendations, or other brilliant ideas.  
bes

The WCTTA camps are excellent.  I believe Dan Seemiller is still doing camps. 

alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 11:21pm
Alameda TTC is one of 10 Nationals Centers of Excellence.

Summer Camps are run by USATT National level coach Pieke Franssen. Previously as Dutch Olympic and national team coach Pieke worked with several Dutch players who were top 20 in the world. His players won a number of international medals including Gold in singles and team at the European Championships.

More recently, Pieke has coached 3 Alameda juniors into top 10 US ranking by age.

Aziz Zarahbin achieved a high raking of #1. His brother Kai achieved #3. Avery Chan achieved a ranking of #6. 

This month for the second year in a row one of Pieke's young players was selected to represent the US at the North American Championships. 

Avery won The 2016 LA Hopes tournament, while Tina Chen won the 2015 Western Region Hopes tournament.  

Our 3 mains camps are listed here: http://alamedattc.org/2016SummerCamps.htm

For students over 1000 we have camps all summer long with the exception Nationals week. Please call or email for details on our other camps.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2016 at 11:50pm
Bes,

I would strongly suggest the MJAMJA Table Tennis and Macramé Basics Training Camp

Our group of dedicated instructors provide an innovative approach to training players.  With their USATT ratings ranging from 1100 to 1800, our instructors can relate to the kids level of play much better than those 2500 level coaches you find at other camps.  Our instructors are unsurpassed in their ability to demonstrate exactly what not to do when playing table tennis.  From that across the body Fh follow through with poor recovery to the leaning tower of Pisa approach to returning the wide ball we will show the kids exactly what not to do.  By the time we finish with them they will be completely unable to make any movements except the correct ones.  Electronic shock collars (certified painless for dog training) insure their compliance.

And if all else fails we will literally teach them how to tie their opponents up in knots.

We do not work for peanuts, but a six pack of Dr Peppers can get you a full day of training.

If you are interested please contact us at 555-BAD-SHOT.

Sincerely,
Mark J. Arnold
Founder and Head Coach MJAMJA Training Academys
Specializing in table tennis, macramé, and mime.

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 7:09pm
Bes Ill help you, even others seem a bit silly and not funny
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 9:08am
Thanks for all the input - I'm looking into several.  Keep them coming!

Mark - as awesome as your offer sounds, I think we'll pass... She has plenty of fine "bad-examples" to choose from already.  I don't want to overload her!

Smackman - as remarkably awesome as OKCTT Club is Big smile, they aren't offering any summer programs or camps.  Also, we have very (way too) few kids right now.  I've found that kids with other kids is way more fun, and also more productive.  They compete and push one another - which isn't always the case when kids play (or train) with adults.

bes
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 10:03am
Any camps in North America provide housing for potential out of state attendees? Similar to WSA or one of the Asian counterparts?

Asking because when looking at the camps in NA, i only see the option for drop-off and pick-up.

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 05/02/2016 at 10:05am
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 12:39pm
BES,

Have you looked into the Texas Wesleyan camps.  Ft Worth is not that far away.  With it being on a college campus there might be some inexpensive housing opportunities in dorms.  Dallas area has lots of great kids.  If I remember correctly they do a series of camps and usually have a tournament (open to all area players) somewhere in the middle of the camps.

Mark
PingPongPom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 3:32pm
Hi Bes

I'm a coach at Lily Yip Table Tennis Center in New Jersey. We have 10 weeks of summer camp starting in June and are able to provide housing for out of state players which we do frequently at these events.

We have 3 ITTF Level 2 coaches, one being 4 time US National Coach of the Year Lily Yip. On top of that her daughter Judy and son Adam were both the top age group players in the USA growing up and are still top players in the seniors. We have a handful of Chinese training partners also and a couple of volunteer coaches who have years of experience helping beginners and young players.

If you want more information you can send me a message on here or visit
www.lilyttc.com
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 4:50pm
Post deleted.

Edited by mjamja - 05/02/2016 at 4:52pm
PingPongPom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by The Canadian Bacon The Canadian Bacon wrote:

Any camps in North America provide housing for potential out of state attendees? Similar to WSA or one of the Asian counterparts?

Asking because when looking at the camps in NA, i only see the option for drop-off and pick-up.

See my post above :)
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2016 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

bes

I concur.  All the camps are scheduled in June this year.

No housing options that I know of at WCTTA.  Based on observation, it is drop-off and pick-up.

Edited by wturber - 05/03/2016 at 7:21pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2016 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

bes

I concur.  All the camps are scheduled in June this year.

No housing options that I know of at WCTTA.  Based on observation, it is drop-off and pick-up.

I just talked with Nan at WCTTA and she said Air B&B housing in the area is very cheap.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2016 at 1:25pm

I just talked with Nan at WCTTA and she said Air B&B housing in the area is very cheap.

That got me curious.  After looking into it, I ended up booking a "studio" through AirBnb last night.  It's a little farther away than the Motel 6 I've stayed at in the past (about seven miles vs. two).  But it is less expensive (probably $100-$150 for the week cheaper) and may actually be a more relaxed and lower stress solution.  There were lower prices, but I really don't want to share a bathroom with people I don't know and this AirBnb room has its own bath.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
ClimbK2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClimbK2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2016 at 9:28am
Seemillers in South Bend, Indiana, had offered housing for Juniors in the past
DHS ML5 (W968), Hurricane 3, Dignics 09c
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic