Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Do blades improve with age?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rhainur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhainur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do blades improve with age?
    Posted: 05/24/2016 at 7:21am
I've ordered an OSP Virtuoso OFF- (should be arriving today Big smile) and one of the things I found interesting when I was researching and reading reviews about this blade is that people were saying it's feeling will change noticeably in the first 10-20 hours of using it, and even after that it'll keep changing.

I don't really know much about blade construction or the aging of wood, so I was hoping some more experienced players could shed some light on this. Do blades really "mature" with use?

I've included some of the reviews I read about the Virtuoso aging:

Quote My Virtuoso softened up after a few weeks of play, making it less crisp.

Quote It is absolutely correct that Virtuoso gets softer after maximum a week of training. Maybe after each reglueing it gets its final feeling after half a week. It looses some crispness you are absolutely right. We exprerienced the same. The manufacturer Palatinus claims that as the blade gets dryer over years it gets better. My friend is using joola rhyzm on a virtuoso, and after half a year of training everyone finds it amazing. At the beginning he had rakza on it and it was good, but now after half a year and with rhyzm it really gets special attention from coaches in our club. I think it is still crispy enough, it does not have speed limit, it does not have dead feel, and if you want to you can play topspins with it for minutes with minimal effort.

Quote Oh, one thing you should know, when you first get a new OSP blade, for the first few times training they feel weird, almost like the glue hasn't dried yet. But then after a few hours of play or a few sessions of play. The blade breaks in and it starts feeling great. When it is new you almost feel too much and the wood feels really flexy in an odd way. Totally worth having a new one and playing with it till it breaks in thought.
Sponsored Links

meketrefe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meketrefe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 8:19am
they get a softer feeling.
This is because of age and because of repeatedly hitting them in the same spot I guess.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 9:57am
Funny thing is, you don't even need to play with some blades for them to improve with age.  I have no idea why it happens.  The other day I glued up a four-year old Viscaria that had been relegated to a drawer after being used exactly once (when new was too fast, too hollow the first time).  It is now very good.  People say the same thing about some stringed instruments. 
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 10:04am
For a sport that relies heavily on consistency how come companies don't let purchased wood materials "dry out" before using them in production to get "consistent feeling" blades from the beginning? Or am I oversimplifying the process?

Edited by DreiZ - 05/24/2016 at 10:07am
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Nasche View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 10:09am
An early change like that should be the break up process of the use, but if you don't seal the blade with something like polyurethane the wood will dry slowly and may give you more feedback with the time.
Nasche View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 10:16am
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

For a sport that relies heavily on consistency how come companies don't let purchased wood materials "dry out" before using them in production to get "consistent feeling" blades from the beginning? Or am I oversimplifying the process?

Because not all the companies can afford to let a piece of wood dry out naturally for a few years before using it. There are some techniques to accelerate the process, but you have to have a proper room with controlled high temperature and air humidity. The results aren't exactly the same, but are good enough to stabilize the wood.

Edited by Nasche - 05/24/2016 at 10:17am
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 10:17am
Blades change with age and gluing. Does it becomes better ? Depends, it becomes softer and slower, for most amateurs it's a good thing.
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 10:36am
here is a thought then, EJs should buy the blades unsealed and let them age a while before using.  How many of you could wait?
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 10:44am
like wine, then

:)
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Funny thing is, you don't even need to play with some blades for them to improve with age.  I have no idea why it happens.  The other day I glued up a four-year old Viscaria that had been relegated to a drawer after being used exactly once (when new was too fast, too hollow the first time).  It is now very good.  People say the same thing about some stringed instruments. 

Maybe today viscarias are worse thant used to be 4 years ago
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 12:52pm
My OSP blade has definitely gotten better. I have played with it for about 5 months now and its gets better with age and reglueing. 
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Maybe today viscarias are worse thant used to be 4 years ago

Maybe, but the one I'm talking about is four years old and did nothing but sit in a drawer during that time.  And it got better.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

like wine, then

:)

Not necessarily.

Many pros change their blades a couple of times a year because they get too soft after playing. That, to me, implies that they like 'em hard.

But to the rest of us amateurish peeps, especially those of us in the US buying fast composites, letting them mellow down is a good thing...

Edited by slevin - 05/24/2016 at 1:35pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 2:00pm
And yet, many pros don't.  Samsonov used the same blade for years until they wouldn't let him use it anymore.  Freitas says he uses the same Maze since he was about 18 or 19.  Jim Butler has used the same Juic blade since he came out of retirement. 

(Also, not all wines age well, that may be true for some blades).
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 2:15pm
I wonder if any pros seal their blades?...
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Nasche View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 2:16pm
If handle is not sealed it will absorb the sweat of your hands over the time and if you play often it changes a bit.

Edited by Nasche - 05/24/2016 at 2:17pm
Rhainur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhainur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Nasche Nasche wrote:

If handle is not sealed it will absorb the sweat of your hands over the time and if you play often it changes a bit.
Oh man I have a friend who has very sweaty palms and you do not want her blade anywhere near your nose Dead
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 4:48pm

Some vintage wood instruments improve it's tone over a period of time. The wood cell structure changes and expands allowing more air into the cell. I am a guitarist and confirm this. We are talking tone vs. performance here and have found my really old blades (20+) years seem dull, lackluster compared to my new ones. My really old Stiga Johansson Allround plays like a wimp. Nice vintage value but that's it.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 7:53pm
deleted

Edited by ericd937 - 05/27/2016 at 7:56pm
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 7:56pm
;I had always heard that some composite blades, such as carbon fiber, can degrade over time. Is that true?
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Nasche View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Some vintage wood instruments improve it's tone over a period of time. The wood cell structure changes and expands allowing more air into the cell. I am a guitarist and confirm this. We are talking tone vs. performance here and have found my really old blades (20+) years seem dull, lackluster compared to my new ones. My really old Stiga Johansson Allround plays like a wimp. Nice vintage value but that's it.

I agree about guitars, but just the good ones will get better with the time, a bad guitar will actually get worse. 

About blades, not every blade will feel dull with time. I have a 20 years old one ply hinoki jpen blade that plays superbly and my old Mazunov from the early 90's still plays great too, but it's too heavy for me nowadays so it's retired. Usually light blades with thin wood plies are the ones that will become dull.
wanhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 10:18pm
Keep your carbon blade for 1000 years and there may be a chance of become diamond blade..

Edited by wanhao - 05/27/2016 at 10:19pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 10:37am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

;I had always heard that some composite blades, such as carbon fiber, can degrade over time. Is that true?

I have heard this mentioned here specifically for zylon fiber but have no idea if it is true.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by wanhao wanhao wrote:

Keep your carbon blade for 1000 years and there may be a chance of become diamond blade..
Why wait a thousand years when you can just drop a couple hundred dollars to get a Killerspin Diamond blade? LOL

And maybe if you put your carbon blade under enough pressure to perform well, it'll become a diamond blade. lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic