Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forehard + Backhand Wrist Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pipigrande View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipigrande Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forehard + Backhand Wrist Problem
    Posted: 06/25/2016 at 10:32am
Hey guys (sorry no video yet) ....

I need help with my forehand close to the table, especially with slower strokes.... I'm having a problem with keeping my wrist locked while performing my slower strokes.

When close to the table but with fast strokes (ie. fast loops) or away from the table, I don't have a problem with keeping my wrist locked at all.

With my backhand.... it's the same thing... it's so hard for me to keep my wrist locked, especially away from the table. I use my wrist so much that everytime I loop away from the table, I get tons of sidepin. So many people get surprised and caught off-guard by the sidespin. The shot looks nice, but it's hard to control for me. I don't do this sidespin intentionally, it's the wrist that I can't control.

Anyone else having this problem?

Any advice?
Acoustic
BH: T64
FH: BW2
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2016 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by pipigrande pipigrande wrote:

Hey guys (sorry no video yet) ....

I need help with my forehand close to the table, especially with slower strokes.... I'm having a problem with keeping my wrist locked while performing my slower strokes.

When close to the table but with fast strokes (ie. fast loops) or away from the table, I don't have a problem with keeping my wrist locked at all.

With my backhand.... it's the same thing... it's so hard for me to keep my wrist locked, especially away from the table. I use my wrist so much that everytime I loop away from the table, I get tons of sidepin. So many people get surprised and caught off-guard by the sidespin. The shot looks nice, but it's hard to control for me. I don't do this sidespin intentionally, it's the wrist that I can't control.

Anyone else having this problem?

Any advice?

HI, pipigrande. Provide some video to get proper feedback. Locking the wrist is not the way to play table trnnis.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2016 at 8:40pm
Yeah, I think one of the reasons why I get a lot of very helpful advice is that I always include videos with my posts.

I also agree with NextLevel. You definitely shouldn't be locking your wrist!
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2016 at 9:27pm
Locking the wrist
Has been dismissed
In times past, as
Times today.

Locking your wrist
Will make your coach pissed,
Though you'll play the Cartland way.

That'll make your coach mad,
But that might not be bad,
Doug was top 3 in the USA (65-70 years ago).

Okay.  Everytime I post something satirical I get bounced off MYTT and have to get back on through my Email.  

In a more serious vein:  it's a good idea to keep your wrist flexible, but don't overuse it, as a couple of things are likely to happen.

If returning a loop or a counterdrive close to the table (3-5 feet) keep your wrist firm but not locked in a death grip as you don't need excessive sidespin, except possibly when looping crosscourt (that is, a hook loop) from mid-distance (5-8 feet from the table), and if your wrist goes upward or forward against such shots you won't know precisely where your point of contact is.  

When looping against underspin, by all means use more wrist, as unless you're a certified cold blooded loop killer you are going to want a higher throw for more consistency.  Wrist is an especially nice thing to use if you're a penholder/reverse penholder.  It also doesn't hurt your banana flip, if you have one.

Edited by berndt_mann - 06/26/2016 at 10:06pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
pipigrande View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipigrande Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2016 at 9:50am
Thanks for the replies.

@Nextlevel, I'm hoping to have some recording soon.

@bernt, nice post! LOL

In regards to my 'locked' wrist, I mean more like firm grip (if that makes sense). I know I'm using way too much wrist when it's not needed.

Also as bernt mentioned, when mid-distance, it's hard to be consistent if there is too much wrist motion.

In regards to banana flip + short serves, I'm alright receiving them!
Acoustic
BH: T64
FH: BW2
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2016 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by pipigrande pipigrande wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

@Nextlevel, I'm hoping to have some recording soon.

@bernt, nice post! LOL

In regards to my 'locked' wrist, I mean more like firm grip (if that makes sense). I know I'm using way too much wrist when it's not needed.

Also as bernt mentioned, when mid-distance, it's hard to be consistent if there is too much wrist motion.

In regards to banana flip + short serves, I'm alright receiving them!

Maybe a more straight arm, Chinese forehand will reduce wrist action? But I agree that fundamentals first then micro adjustments second.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic