Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom Ignito vs ALC blades comparison needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom Ignito vs ALC blades comparison needed
    Posted: 06/28/2016 at 9:22am
Could anyone compare the Ignito to recent ALC blades? What is the reason that most top players prefer ALC blades to Hinoki carbon? In terms of speed I dont think the Ignito has a disadvantage vs a Boll ALC. Any input appreciated.
Sponsored Links

obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2016 at 11:20am
I have the axelo, not the ignito but they are pretty similar overall. So I'll do a quick comparison between the axelo and various ALC's. 

The axelo seems stiffer and faster, with a quicker bounce. Less dwell time so it was harder to do loops, for me at least. I would say the axelo is similar in speed/feel to the garaydia t5000 -- which for reference, is currently rated as butterfly's fastest blade. 

If you like to block and play more 'passive' offensive (using less motion etc.), then the axelo type of blade should work well for you. If you like to loop and do more spin/control oriented playing, I think you'd be better off with slower equipment for a bit. 

THe ALC's -- innerforce layer alc, garaydia alc, and some others, all seem to have less 'bounce' or 'reaction' on the butterfly scale. 
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2016 at 5:50pm
Thank you for your comments. I loop most of the time and do not base my game on blocking in the first place, that is just a last resort for me so the question is answered. The bouncy nature of these Hinoki carbons does not favour spin generation with the plastic ball, that could explain why even Kreanga has ditched his Primorac carbon.
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2016 at 9:13pm
For whatever reason, I actually went the other way... I ditched my ALC blade to Bty Sardius with Donic Barracuda...

It doesn't seem to me that I lost ability to spin or dwell time... but gain stiffness for better block

My understanding is that spin/dwell time on ALC blade because it is flexible, whereas the hinoki is softness..

For some reason, I take backspin ball better with the Sardius than ALC... I feel the backspin ball was connected and stayed on my blade much longer than using ALC blade... Maybe it is my technique that better for Sardius... 
Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2016 at 9:23pm
Axelo was the fastest blade I ever tried.  Like a Schlager on steroids.  For me it was unplayable.  I haven't tried the others in the series but people who have tried them say that they are all quite fast.  Based on my experience with the Axelo, that has to be true, the thing I don't know is that where the speed is at once you get to the slowest one in their serious.  I don't know if it is faster than ALC or not.  

But I will say this:  Build quality and fit and finish on Xiom blades is fantastic and the price is super competitive.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic