Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 sided Jpens & Cpen hybrids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 sided Jpens & Cpen hybrids
    Posted: 08/26/2016 at 9:16am
I might be in the market for a 2 sided Jpen or Cpen like hybrid. I was curious to see if anyone has feedback on the following blades or might know others like this that they like.

- Nittaku SOU

- Nittaku Miyabi

- Nittaku Rutis J

I'm most interested in the Nittaku SOU. That's one good looking blade and Nittaku makes a fabulous product from past blades I've owned (currently own Nittaku Airuline 8.8) Great blade)

The only place I see the SOU for sale is here.

However the 1 reviewer didn't like it. Has anyone else tried this blade? I'd like to get a second opinion. Also, it looks like it's a 1 ply blade. Does anybody know what type of wood? If it's hinoki that would be exciting.

I've also considered a Nittaku Miyabi (although like the SOU's handle style more). But I'm getting conflicting reports on the head size. Paddlepalace says 155 x 142mm which is perfectly fine. There was one reviewer on paddle palace who said the head is too small. 

tabletennis11.com says 143x137mm which is a significantly smaller. While I really like my Nittaku Airuline 8.8, that rectangular head style certainly is a lot thinner as far as width and I think I prefer the margin for error more of what my Cpens offer. Overall larger head size... But they're not nearly as comfortable.

I'd also consider the Nittaku Rutis J or another blade if someone has a suggestion.

thanks.

Edited by suds79 - 08/26/2016 at 9:21am
Sponsored Links

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2016 at 1:45pm
Rutis has a very very slim handle, by far the slimmest handle on any cpen I've ever played with.  Every shot I feel the handle will break on me, flying and hit someone else on the head, causing fatal blows.  
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2016 at 11:52pm
If you are buying one ply blade, take special attention that if it is less than 9 mm you have the risk of breaking (I read on the forum that it happened at least on 2 occasions on 8,5 mm thick hinoki blade).
Then you will have to consider that using it for rpb means the blade will be very thick.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2016 at 2:27am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

If you are buying one ply blade, take special attention that if it is less than 9 mm you have the risk of breaking (I read on the forum that it happened at least on 2 occasions on 8,5 mm thick hinoki blade).
Then you will have to consider that using it for rpb means the blade will be very thick.
I think that's the essential problem. 

One ply Hinoki needs to be 9-10mm thick to be powerful enough. 
But then it's too thick and chunky for RPB wrist action.
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2016 at 8:27am
C-pen is better in comfort to use for RBH imo with a better range for wrist motion.

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 08/27/2016 at 8:28am
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2016 at 8:31am
I think that's the point of the Nittaku SOL. It doesn't look as thick as your standard 1 ply Jpen. It's designed to put RPB on the backside.

Judging by pictures, it looks about the same size & thickness as a Cpen. just with that great Jpen style of comfort grip... I suppose same could be said for the Ritus J.

Still hoping someone who sees this sooner or later as tried it and can share their thoughts.

Edited by suds79 - 08/27/2016 at 8:32am
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2016 at 9:27am
Take a look at the Armstrong Apex 21 Kase grip in the square/round shape if you want a jpen for rpb
http://iruiru.com/goods_page.php?ct=B&mk=E&gd=BE043

Edited by jpenmaster - 08/27/2016 at 9:32am
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2016 at 10:07am
Originally posted by jpenmaster jpenmaster wrote:

Take a look at the Armstrong Apex 21 Kase grip in the square/round shape if you want a jpen for rpb
http://iruiru.com/goods_page.php?ct=B&mk=E&gd=BE043

Wow that's pretty genious. This blade integrates something I've thought for some time.

I think it's largely the backside grip why Jpens are so comfortable. It's not just the cork grip. Jpens usually have this thin piece of cork on the backside of the handle. Where as a Cpen that has a thicker rounded short handle. Well if you were to drive an imaginary line of the face of the blade coming out from your index finger & middle finger, if the paddle was straight, it would go right into your wrist. That's where this paddle takes that into account with that design. You hold the paddle more staight and is less strain on your forefinger IMO. That's great.

FYI, I experimented this morning and took a Drimmel electric sander to the backside handle of my cpen PG7 to make it kinda concave where the top part of my hand rests. Hard to describe but I hope that makes sense.

Already much, much more comfortable. I should have done this a long time ago.
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2016 at 6:16pm
No question. JPen offers a more relaxed and secure forehand-oriented grip than CPen, the concave section on the backside plus the forefinger stop both contribute to security. But the RPB wrist for the short ball is compromised. And doubly so, if the paddle is thick.

Maybe someone can devise a 10mm thick Hinoki blade that is tapered down towards the grip area with a CPen head. Then make it 81-85g.

Edited by sandiway - 08/27/2016 at 6:18pm
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2017 at 10:54pm
Suds, I don't know if you're still curios about the SOU Jpen, but I bought one recently and have only had one go with it so far.  This is my first experience with a 1-ply Hinoki Jpen and have only used a Yinhe 989 5-ply Jpen beforehand.  The 989 is 8mm thick, 86g, and the SOU is just barely under 8mm, maybe 7.8mm, at 78g.  The SOU is also 6mm narrower in blade face width at 128mm.

I had Omega V Euro Max on both sides, which were rubbers I had never used before, and it was just far too bouncy for me coming from the 989 with an old T05 on FH and Omega V Tour on BH.  I really struggled in the short game, which is my forte, and my FH loops were very inconsistent and often long.  I am very used to and comfortable with JP01, OVT, and Rasant Grip which are much less bouncy than OVE.  My RPB doesn't really ever seem to be affected by change in equipment after small adjustments.

I put the T05/OVT on the SOU and will post back my findings tomorrow if my wrist doesn't give me too many problems.

Edited by DLC1325 - 01/11/2017 at 11:22pm
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2017 at 12:42am
I play cpen. I think I'm gonna buy one of these beauties next for trying jpen with rpb. Too much EJing for this month

http://www.iruiru.com/goods_page.php?ct=B&mk=D&gd=BD308

http://www.iruiru.com/goods_page.php?ct=B&mk=D&gd=BD332

These are not too thick for jpen so I think rpb will be easy. The "round head" variant seems more close to cpen head shape

Edited by ronakvyas86 - 01/12/2017 at 12:46am
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2017 at 3:33am
Get SOU MF-P for more power. It's a good blade. I saw one of the strongest girls in Japan using such to great effect with LP OX on one side.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2017 at 11:04am
Butterfly used to make a blade called 'Rotor'

was a 2 sided rectangle j/k blade with the cork stumpie on both sides

looking for a pic, but, can't find one

:)

Edited by in2spin - 01/12/2017 at 11:06am
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2017 at 7:55pm
I played with the SOU MF P / T05 (FH) / OVT (BH) setup today and it is a very good blade.  Obviously more stiff than my 989 but huge adjustments weren't necessary.  RPBs are as comfortable as ever and OVT really just has a great feel to it.  The T05 is almost dead however, so I might try the JP01s some time.

Though it still feels a little light for me, I recommend SOU MF P. Thumbs Up

Edited by DLC1325 - 01/12/2017 at 7:57pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2017 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by DLC1325 DLC1325 wrote:

I played with the SOU MF P / T05 (FH) / OVT (BH) setup today and it is a very good blade.  Obviously more stiff than my 989 but huge adjustments weren't necessary.  RPBs are as comfortable as ever and OVT really just has a great feel to it.  The T05 is almost dead however, so I might try the JP01s some time.

Though it still feels a little light for me, I recommend SOU MF P. Thumbs Up

How heavy is your setup?
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2017 at 1:12am
166g. But there is a decent hangover of the rubbers because they're cut to the larger 989 size. So maybe 160g if they were cut to SOU size.

Edited by DLC1325 - 01/13/2017 at 1:14am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2017 at 1:21am
Originally posted by DLC1325 DLC1325 wrote:

166g. But there is a decent hangover of the rubbers because they're cut to the larger 989 size. So maybe 160g if they were cut to SOU size.

That's not bad. My donic ovtcharov carbospeed cpen weighs 190 gms with max rubbers both sides.
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2017 at 1:26am
It is nice having a lighter blade I'm just so used to the 170-180g range that my strokes are too fast sometimes, but it's awesome close to the table. I'm still adapting. 190g is way too much for me!
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2017 at 1:51pm
I recently bought a Nittaku Rutis but haven't had the chance to put any rubber on it. 3-ply wood. 2-ply G-carbon (whatever that means). First impressions just from holding the blade, it seems like the cork piece needs to be trimmed; otherwise it restricts the wrist for the rpb stroke. It's easy to see the effect of the cork on the arc of the stroke by flipping the blade over and trying the rpb stroke.
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2017 at 2:28am
Had another go today with the SOU MF P and JP01 Max both sides. I originally thought the nice feeling was from the OVT but with both JP01s on that nice feeling was still there which makes me think it's the 1-ply hinoki feeling everyone raves about. A smooth, creamy type of hand feel that is indeed pleasant.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic