tabletennis11.com

TSP Ventus Speed review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TSP Ventus Speed review
    Posted: 10/30/2016 at 1:09am
As it's off-season, I've had some time to experiment with some new rubbers, so this time I decided to test the TSP Ventus Speed, which I had never tried before.

From TSP the manufacturer:
Ventus Speed is the hardest and fastest variant of the TSP Ventus series. When designing this offensive rubber, the Japanese rubber experts focused on perfect balance between high speed, maximum spin development and great control. The open-pore 45° sponge of Ventus Speed features the new “Optimized Rotation Concept” and is truly made for spin. Thanks the new sponge design, this new TSP development guarantees longer ball contact which results in more rotational energy transfer on the ball. In addition, the higher trajectory resulting from the “Optimized Rotation Concept” provides for great feel and more control in your play. The fast performance top rubber sheet of Ventus Speed develops tons of power and tremendous drive both for aggressive opening loops and mid-distance topspin attacks. Ventus Speed is a highly balanced offensive rubber offering great value for money.

The Ventus Speed is an ESN Tensor released about 2 years ago. Since I forgot to take a picture before I glued this rubber onto my bat, I'll post someone else's picture that I found on the net :oops:
Zoom in (real dimensions: 800 x 800)Image

Topsheet feels soft and very grippy, but not highly lively like some of the latest generation Tensors. In fact it reminded me more of a traditional 'natural rubber' topsheet instead of the synthetic and tension ones. This might be the reason of the high durability that some others have mentioned.
This property felt like an advantage for serving and pushing, where the spin was very good, and it was easy to keep the ball short.
For brush looping the rubber did not feel that fast (for a Tensor), and the spin was high but not extreme. It felt more direct in that a faster brush resulted in high spin accordingly, not like the highly tensioned rubber that can result in extreme just at the right brushing speed (which has pros and cons).

It wasn't until I started looping hard, and digging the ball into the sponge, that the familiar Tensor boost kicked in, resulting in very good speed and plenty of spin. Until you really powerloop, the rubber felt a little muted to me and not as crisp as I'd like it to be as it is at higher speed. I would expect this rubber to perform much better on a harder (and composite) blade resulting in a much crisper feel over most of the power range. The Trinity carbon that I was using has quite a soft feel and the carbon layers are buried deep in the plies, resulting in a softer feel, and the crisp feel did not appear till I looped really hard or smashed, and the familiar cracking sound appears.

The throw of the rubber is high, which I really like. This tends to make it much easier to lift backspin to produce high spin loops. It tends to take less effort counterlooping as well. Counterlooping was really god actually, producing a fast and very spinny loop and kicked off very low off the table.

Blocking and the short game all felt very controlled, and the rubber is relatively insensitive to incoming spin, much closer to something like Mark V than Tenergy.

So if you like high throw rubbers, and looking for something with good spin and control, especially in the short game, this rubber may be a good choice. As I mentioned I would recommend to use it on a harder blade as it's going to feel a lot crisper for looping.
Durability has been reported to be very good, but it's too early to tell for my sheet as I've only used it for 3 session, but zero signs of wear so far.

Full review of TSP Ventus Speed here.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2016 at 9:19am
A review 2 years in the making, while I've the Ventus Spin sitting in the drawer for the same period of time...
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2016 at 10:32am
A review of ventus spin will be very interesting.
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2016 at 11:21am
For me, Ventus Speed feels like a muted T05.
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2016 at 12:04pm
Haggsiv,

How is the durability holding up so far? Would like an update.
Also, may I know if you've tried the Ventus Spin?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you!
-Chewy

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2016 at 3:30pm
I used ventus speed on my th for a while. Great durability, high quality control. Very easy to get at least 6 months out of it or even a year for non-professional. I never tried census spin.

Edited by vanjr - 11/11/2016 at 8:15am
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2016 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Chewy Chewy wrote:

Haggsiv,

How is the durability holding up so far? Would like an update.
Also, may I know if you've tried the Ventus Spin?

The topsheet feels like it's mostly natural rubber, so the durability is usually very good...it's not showing any signs of wear so far.
Sorry I've not yet tried the Ventus Spin.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2016 at 6:17am
Thank you Vanjr and Haggs,

Looks like the topsheet if of good durability.
6 months to a year is a very long time!

Ok. Gotta wait.. till someone reviews the Ventus Spin then. :P
kruno View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2018 at 9:37pm
Very similar to Nittaku G1 rubber. Extreme spin and speed can be generated by proper stroke. I tried this rubber unintentionally but fall in love right away.
He who conquers others is strong; He who conquers himself is mighty

Lao Tzu
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2018 at 7:29am
Has anyone tried the new Super Ventus yet?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
andzejgolot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andzejgolot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2021 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Has anyone tried the new Super Ventus yet?

great rubber
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic