Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Grip Trouble

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PauKel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PauKel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grip Trouble
    Posted: 08/23/2006 at 7:19pm
Just started playing again after 20 years; used to play on a college team.

Have always used a shakehand grip. I have been playing for about a year now, several times a week. Have got most of my touch back and beginning to loop okay.

Lately I'm going crazy because some days I can't get comfortable with my grip for the forehand and have no consistency.

I either grip to hard or find myself trying to adjust the grip when switching from backhand to forehand on the backstroke. Backhand is my strong side. I think I'm more comfortable with a straight handle with a flat surface which is what I'm using and and I haven't recently changed paddles.

Do any of you find your selves adjusting your grip when s/w from backhand to forehand?

Give me your suggestions please.
Stiga Innova 2.0 BH
Yasaka Zap 2.2 FH
Xi-En'ting 560 TI/Carbon blade

Sponsored Links

O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2006 at 7:39pm

This is normal and you will find yourself adjusting your grip from time to time until you get the most comfortable grip.  i bet you had that feeling when you started 20 years ago but you just happen to forget.  if you know that you are holding it too tight then the answer should be very obvious.

BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
Harold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2006 at 9:28pm
Yes I'm having that trouble too. The grip I have is good for backhand and not good for forehand. I think it's the index finger against the rubber that's giving the forehand too much control. The thumb's not touching the rubber (that's the way I grip). Just haven't got it right yet. And I'm using Bryce on forehand. Still not enough power. But I get heaps of power when I lift my index finger from the rubber for a forehand stroke. Don't know why? Still trying to figure that out. Any help/tip?
ttnooblar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttnooblar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2006 at 4:38am

thumb should be on the logo of your rubber (although i have seen some pros have it not quite touching... but my coach tells me to put it on the logo.) index finger touching the rubber is fine, in fact you want it there so you have better feel and more power (your finger is used when you loop with forehand!)

maybe the problem is your holding the bat too high up the handle (i.e. the bottom of your handle is sticking out a little from your hand.) i used to have this problem.

BTY Michael Maze (Flared)
Donic F2 2.0mm (FH)
Donic F2 2.0mm (BH)
Harold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2006 at 6:59am

Ok thanks. I'll try to hold the bat a little lower. That should give it a little more power and I'll try to control the back hand power.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic