Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butterfly custom blades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tabmini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly custom blades
    Posted: 11/28/2016 at 11:49pm
If I do not mistake. Butterfly already aborted the custom made.
My feedback :
mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77680&PID=959859󪕳
Sponsored Links

rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 1:30am
With a custom blade, you can choose the handle, weight, thickness etc, instead of getting the luck of the draw, though with butterfly the quality control is very good.

I highly recommend bladesbycharlie.com, if you have to go the custom route
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 6:06am
Yes, currently Butterfly does not accept order for custom blade. My Chinese Tamca ULC in J-Pen version is my last order for custom blade from Butterfly. However this happened also years ago, after I ordered Schlager J-Pen and I wanted to order again, it was refused. After a while I tried again and I got the J-pen version of Chinese Tamca ULC. Lately I tried again and was refused. I will just occasionally try it, maybe someday they will accept order for custom blade again Smile
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 9:35am
My practice partner (2200+) normally plays with a Viscaria, but he decided to order a custom one. He had to wait 6 months and it cost $300, twice as much as the regular Viscaria. I hit with it and he said he can't feel the $150 difference. He actually prefers the original one. You are better off going to BladesbyCharlie.com to have Charlie make you a custom blade. Actually for somewhere around $20 he can change your handle to one of his custom ones. He did this for a couple of my Donic blades and they came out spectacular!
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 9:43am
I heard they will be taking custom orders again around the new year. They should just stop making them.
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 10:38am
No value in the custom made one compared to off the shelf.  And they used to cost around $260.  I had two made.  Also, the handle shape they out on was pretty bad all considered.
malin87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malin87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 11:53am
well, i used to play many times with one's btf contracted player's racket and the feeling was amazing.It was totaly different with the comercial version.I felt that i can't lose a hit! The custom blades are perfectly balanced (the weight is balanced along the blade as it should be) and not like the market blades that it is random.So, the pro players are trying many custom blades and they keep the perfect one's so if u order a custom you may be unlucky.One other difference is that custom blade are made of selected wood and not from big random pieces of wood put in the machine like market blades..
Icecream AZX,T05,Spectol21
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 12:01pm
In any case, at the moment they are not making them for people anymore.  And again, pro players pick from 10 or 20 blades the one they like best.  I am reasonably certain that if you take your pick of ten off the shelf blades, especially if all ten of them are the total weight you specify, you will find one that is fantastic.  Problem is, most of us don't get do that.  Over the years I have had Butterfly make three blades for me.  None of them was in any way special, in fact each of them had significant problems.  And at $260 each, it was not worth it. 
Jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by America America wrote:

Thank you for your responses, i think it is better to spend that much money on a dhs custom blade instead, if the difference between a commercial is minor. 

For DHS custom blades, there are a lot of replicas in the Chinese Market and are hard to identify, even for collectors. My friend in China played about 5 DHS custom blades, and he suggested that unless you are sure the blade is genuine, he would not recommend spending around 250+ dollars on a DHS custom blade.
Fly away!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 3:07pm
If you buy any "custom" blade vs the commercial version you will most likely be disappointed unless you have never tried the commercial version. There just isn't much of a difference. Buy the commercial version and spend the rest on coaching lessons.
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 4:18pm
Custom made jpen blades are made of higher quality hinoki. Too bad they stopped making them.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 4:54pm
The wood is the same as Gmax,KTS. It's all grade S. You are paying for a certain shape , weight and thickness more so than a better quality wood.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 7:52pm
I ordered custom made because Butterfly does not make the wood composition in J-pen version. Otherwise I would buy the one existing in the market. The price is 50% higher and for me it is not worth it if I buy custom made for a blade type that is already existing in the market.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 12:48am
Well, you can find a good commercial version, but maybe 1 among 20 or 50 blades?
I have 4 Viscaria Commercial version
90,91,92,93 gr
Then I bought Viscaria Custom 86 gr which was hand picked among 12 Viscaria Custom available,
I pick the most solid and heavy one among them.
Compare 86 gr custom to 90, 91,92, 93 gr Viscaria, The 86 gr has more solid feel.
when you hit harder, it will become much faster, the comercial one seems not going faster if you hit harder and harder.
I never tried old tag Viscaria before, but comparing Q series custom Viscaria vs L Series Viscaria, i found it's more solid, harder, more consistency when bouncing it with the ball, and more powerful.

Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 10:53am
Buy a Hurricane Long V and a regular Viscaria in the weight you desire.They are very different blades. Figure out which one you like and play best with and keep it. No need for a custom made when what you want is off the shelf. I learned my lessons the hard and expensive way .....
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 11:08am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Well, you can find a good commercial version, but maybe 1 among 20 or 50 blades?
I have 4 Viscaria Commercial version
90,91,92,93 gr
Then I bought Viscaria Custom 86 gr which was hand picked among 12 Viscaria Custom available,
I pick the most solid and heavy one among them.
Compare 86 gr custom to 90, 91,92, 93 gr Viscaria, The 86 gr has more solid feel.
when you hit harder, it will become much faster, the comercial one seems not going faster if you hit harder and harder.
I never tried old tag Viscaria before, but comparing Q series custom Viscaria vs L Series Viscaria, i found it's more solid, harder, more consistency when bouncing it with the ball, and more powerful.

That was not my experience having bought three custom made ones.  The thing is, most people don't get to choose from among 12 Butterfly custom made ones.  The way it worked is you asked them to make it for you (I specified a weight), sent them a lot of money, waited months, and then you got what they sent you.  Don't believe for a second that every custom one they make is special because I can tell you FOR A FACT that they are not.  (Otherwise the ones I bought would have been great).

It's not that they were bad blades.  But they were not worth $260.  Here is another thing.  After spending that much money, I wanted to like them more.  I tried to like them more.  In fact, the second time I tried it I bought two blades, so after stupidly spending more than $500 (!!!!!!! Wacko) there was every possible incentive for me to fool myself into thinking I had something really special.  But I liked them worse than at least four other blades that I owned, including a couple with silver tags.  (Next Level correctly pointed out that there was a time when I had an obsession with these blades and bought way too many of them, stupidly).

I was very disappointed with the custom ones (and later angry because I felt ripped off).  And trust me, I have owned more Viscaria blades than most people, including many black tag ones, several series.  So I ended up selling them (to some guy in England who turned around and is trying to sell them for 600 pounds sterling, which is completely insane).

By the way, my distinct impression is that the latest series of commercial ones, the ones with the hologram on them, are on average quite good.

Just find a decent ALC blade and play with it.  Play with it long enough and it will be the thing you like best.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2016 at 12:53am
Q series in general, off the rack, are very good IMHO.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2016 at 8:33pm
Hi Baal, I tried to ask about the weight for the custom blades I ordered before through iruiru / ttjapan, but immediately they said that it was not possible. Perhaps I should have made the order directly to Butterfly ?
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2016 at 11:02pm
Yes, back when they made custom blades, I specified a weight through Butterfly NA.  They apparently arranged it with Butterfly in Japan.  They got the weight absolutely correct.  I still was not very happy with the blades, though.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2016 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

That was not my experience having bought three custom made ones.  The thing is, most people don't get to choose from among 12 Butterfly custom made ones.  The way it worked is you asked them to make it for you (I specified a weight), sent them a lot of money, waited months, and then you got what they sent you.  Don't believe for a second that every custom one they make is special because I can tell you FOR A FACT that they are not.  (Otherwise the ones I bought would have been great).

It's not that they were bad blades.  But they were not worth $260.  Here is another thing.  After spending that much money, I wanted to like them more.  I tried to like them more.  In fact, the second time I tried it I bought two blades, so after stupidly spending more than $500 (!!!!!!! Wacko) there was every possible incentive for me to fool myself into thinking I had something really special.  But I liked them worse than at least four other blades that I owned, including a couple with silver tags.  (Next Level correctly pointed out that there was a time when I had an obsession with these blades and bought way too many of them, stupidly).

I was very disappointed with the custom ones (and later angry because I felt ripped off).  And trust me, I have owned more Viscaria blades than most people, including many black tag ones, several series.  So I ended up selling them (to some guy in England who turned around and is trying to sell them for 600 pounds sterling, which is completely insane).

By the way, my distinct impression is that the latest series of commercial ones, the ones with the hologram on them, are on average quite good.

Just find a decent ALC blade and play with it.  Play with it long enough and it will be the thing you like best.

Yes I have to agree that all Butterfly Custom Blades isn't great. That's why I choose the best among them. I pick the heaviest avaliable from 83-86 gr, Which I choose 86 gr.
There's a tourist from Hongkong who choose 85 gr, scaly top ply. When I compare it to my 86 gr, Mine is harder and more solid.

I also order 94 gr FL from Butterfly North America, I got the weight as I wanted.
It's faster than the 86 gr, but I found the 86 gr has a perfect bounce, control.
The 94 gr is faster but I found it will be more difficult to control due to a more springy feel.

I got 91 gr AN, which is less special among 2 custom FL that I have, but still better than commercial L series Viscaria that I have.

I will compare the Q series Viscaria with L series and the custom one, and will let you know Baal.

Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2016 at 9:42pm
Butterfly already made the decision for you.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2016 at 9:46am
Big smile
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic