Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Question about my penhold equipment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Argo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about my penhold equipment
    Posted: 08/26/2006 at 11:49pm
I use a pretty old Chinese Pre-made, inverted rubber, thin hard sponge (i think around 1mm-1.3mm). It is very light and I am very used to playing with it.

So my questions are...

1. Will the inverted rubber ever be worn out? does it need replacement eventually?
2. Anyway to identify this paddle so i can find out more about it?
3. Is it easy to replace or replicate this paddle in US online stores?
Sponsored Links

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2006 at 12:17am
Its probably worn out now, but unless you're really into table tennis its not necessary to change it too often. I can play fine with a 20 year old bat with bits of topsheet missing, sponge detached in places and missing half a handle.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2006 at 12:29am
Hey Argo,

1. Yep it's probably worn out and has lost tackiness/grip (if it was grippy to begin with)
2. Show some pictures of your racket. Do the rubbers have a label?
3. Probably. Either get a new pre-made or buy something from cole_ely (www.colestt.com)

-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
Argo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2006 at 12:59am
I found out that is a pf4 rubber, prob 1.6mm

Mmmmmm, what should i do now? replicate it exactly or find something better?
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2006 at 1:03am
You probably have one of those old DHS woods, keep it. The feel can not be mimiced(sp?) by any modern blade except for custom blades and the very expensive nittaku woods. The old-style Chinese rubbers play especially well with the old DHS woods so get the rubber to the same specification. Maybe add thickness when you need some more speed.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
Argo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2006 at 1:11am
I think i will do just that, thanks for the help.

How exactly do I remove the old rubber? just scrape it off?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2006 at 1:12am
You might as well experiment a little. Are you going to play more seriously? What kind of style do you play? If you do a lot of looping, maybe try some thicker sponges.

Talk to Cole_ely (www.colestt.com), he's good with advice and can offer you some good stuff.
-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2006 at 1:14am
It can definitely be a little difficult for pre-mades with that cheap, semi-permanent factory glue.

I use a sharp chisel. You may have to do a few extra rounds of chiseling to get the remains of the sponge off.
-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
Argo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2006 at 1:25am
I play cpen/jpen switch with tpb. Don't have any professional training though =/

I am entering UCSD this fall so hopefully I can get a lot better. I am going to wait for a while and talk to the people there until I improve on my equipment.

Gotta improve your game first, right? =D
agooding2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agooding2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2006 at 11:14am

If you send your blade to Tom at Zeropong he can take it off for you and put on a new sheet of rubber. 

He has advice for how to do that yourself on the About.com bulletin board using a heat gun: http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=1&tid=22407&webtag=ab-tabletennis

Unless you're very good with a chisel, you're likely to gouge the blade with it.

-- Andrew

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic