Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mj zlc compared to apolonia zlc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PringlesRingles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PringlesRingles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mj zlc compared to apolonia zlc
    Posted: 01/12/2017 at 10:33am
How do these two blades compare to each other? Someone who has tried both of them?
Sponsored Links

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2017 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by America America wrote:

MJ ZLC is faster than the apolonia. However, I found that the apoloponia has more dwell, thus better for the spin game.

I've seen this written often about a lot of innerforce vs 'outerforce'(!) blades. But here, by spin game, you must mean spin on soft, incoming ball.

Because, one of the main gripes I have about innerforce type blades is that they have relatively less spin when you want to impart large change in velocity (rather than a small one) via a harder impact on the ball. In that case, I get not only less spin from innerforce blades but more non-linearity.

This has been true whether I tested Maze vs IF-ALC or MJ vs Apollonia. To me, the Apollonia I tested was also thinner slower and felt hollow.

Even HL5 felt it had less spin when you hit hard into ball. It has good spin when you brush (which requires a lot of skill during very fast rallies).

So, it is perhaps dependent on the kind of game you have and the strokes you play.

Edited by slevin - 01/12/2017 at 3:53pm
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2017 at 3:59pm
I tried both. Mj is more consistent reliable. Apolonia has higher throw it imparts more spin but gets more spin and more difficult to manage.
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2017 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

MJ ZLC is faster than the apolonia. However, I found that the apoloponia has more dwell, thus better for the spin game.

I've seen this written often about a lot of innerforce vs 'outerforce'(!) blades. But here, by spin game, you must mean spin on soft, incoming ball.

Because, one of the main gripes I have about innerforce type blades is that they have relatively less spin when you want to impart large change in velocity (rather than a small one) via a harder impact on the ball. In that case, I get not only less spin from innerforce blades but more non-linearity.

This has been true whether I tested Maze vs IF-ALC or MJ vs Apollonia. To me, the Apollonia I tested was also thinner slower and felt hollow.

Even HL5 felt it had less spin when you hit hard into ball. It has good spin when you brush (which requires a lot of skill during very fast rallies).

So, it is perhaps dependent on the kind of game you have and the strokes you play.

Which one is faster HL5 or MJ? And which one do you think is better overall?

Thanks
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 6:51am
2 different blades. HL5 has higher arc, where the MJ is low arced blade, really low. I think that MJ is stiffer than the HL5. And at last, my opinion is that HL5 is a little faster than MJ. For the last I am not so sure, cause I have to play my MJ for some years now.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 7:07am
Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

2 different blades. HL5 has higher arc, where the MJ is low arced blade, really low. I think that MJ is stiffer than the HL5. And at last, my opinion is that HL5 is a little faster than MJ. For the last I am not so sure, cause I have to play my MJ for some years now.

Hi, thanks for your input, which one of these did you like more for an all-round game? And which one do you think I will like more if I didn't like the dead feel of Viscaria? I'm guessing HL5 as it's less stiff right?

By the way if HL5 only good with chinese rubbers or is it good with Euro/Jap modern tensors like Tibhar Evo series?

Thanks
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 9:08pm

Hey, I'm not an equipment expert; however, I personally feel that if you didn't like the deal feel of the Viscaria, then you should go with the long 5. Hurricane long 5 has inner carbon, which is the same as the innerforce series. They feel close enough to an all wood blade, but as you exert more force, the carbon kicks in. Mizutani has pretty good feel too, I felt that the mizutani provided more feeling close to table than the Viscaria, however, if you are concerned about feel, go with the long 5 or innerforce alc. That's just my 2 cents.

For rubbers, I would say that the long 5 is pretty versatile, my friend uses evolution mxp on his long 5 and it felt pretty good. I have minimum amount of knowledge with tensor rubbers on long 5 sorry.

Thanks for your input, I have already played with HL5 but with chinese rubbers and I liked how it felt so I couldn't resist ordering one for myself Embarrassed

I just hope it works just as good as my YEO Power 7 with MX-P and EL-P rubbers Smile
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 7:18am

Rakza 7 is so good on backhand

Yeah it's even good for FH, but it's somewhat sensitive to in-coming spin so doesn't suit a passive BH player like myself so I've switched to EL-P and enjoying it so far.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2017 at 12:51pm
The only Apolonia I know is the one from Purple Rain.  Didn't she die recently?

Oh, sorry, off-topic.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2017 at 11:52am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Could this be because of the limba outer perhaps? Is it same for all limba outer blades?

Btw what's the construction of MJ ZLC?

Thanks

Edited by unstopabl3 - 02/11/2017 at 11:57am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

mj szlc has the same composition than the regular mj; there is more composite material in the mj szlc though. that's all I remember. that being said, the mj is already too fast for me; I went up from the mj and owned a mj szlc for a few weeks (@230 from slevin) and I sold it right away ($200 Unhappy) to go slightly the other way towards control with the xiom vega pro.

Not interested in MJ SZLC for now lol

Is the outer on both MJ ZLC and XVP limba? And what's the core?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2017 at 5:00pm

yes, limba outer for both; I think they have both kiri core (sure for mj)

That would then mean that both of them could have the same kind of rubber combinations for comparison purposes eh? :P
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2017 at 5:15pm

Absolutely yes

Thanks fatt, appreciate all of your replies :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic