Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nittaku S-CZ blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nittaku S-CZ blade
    Posted: 02/21/2017 at 12:07am
Got them in the mail today. Shall post a review after testing for a week.

Spruce - ZLC - Ayous - Kiri - Ayous - ZLC - Spruce.

Weight: 87g each
Thickness: 6.15mm

Looks like they are manufactured by Soulspin.

Fantastic handle.

Basic bounce test indicates that it is slower than the Donic Waldner 'WC89 blades (which are OFF / OFF+) and about the same speed or perhaps just a shade slower than the Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon blade. Good feeling.

Edited by slevin - 02/21/2017 at 12:11am
Sponsored Links

JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2017 at 12:11am
How long did it take to get the blade once you ordered?
Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2017 at 12:12am
Three days.
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2017 at 12:15am
Wow. I am thinking of ordering the 5 ply version for a bit more control. Soulspin written all over it....
Yes very nice handles.  Enjoy!
            BBC Hinoki

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2017 at 12:33am
Soulspin has made quite some blades for Donic and Nittaku. It appears that almost all have about the same structures, and none of these blades has become very popular. 
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2017 at 12:45am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Soulspin has made quite some blades for Donic and Nittaku. It appears that almost all have about the same structures, and none of these blades has become very popular. 

The blades they made for Nittaku earlier are fantastic - I have two Holz Sieben blades at home. Holz Sieben got great reviews during the TT11 mytt testing. However, they were priced high-end (>$200).

The Donic WC89 series was excellent for the price - however, the Persson and Waldner were a shade fast for most people (they were thick as well). I thought the Persson one was alright, but the Waldner blade is fantastic as well (great feel, great spin and speed).

This blade is structurally similar to the Donic Appelgren 'WC89 except it is a shade faster (the Donic one was ALL+ / OFF-) and a shade thicker). However, it has more of a premium feel relative to the 'WC89 series of blades.

Normally, Soulspin blades are expensive (I have the Roots Spin Offensive at home) and if you like Hinoki or Spruce outers, they are one of the best choices out there. I, for one, am a fan of their creations.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2017 at 10:47pm
First impressions: It plays like a better balanced (less head-heavy) and slightly slower Andro Treiber Z (which has become a pretty successful blade) but with a better handle (conic-flared).

This makes sense, as both the Treiber Z and the S-CZ have exactly the same sequence of plies with the only difference being that the Treiber Z is thicker (6.6mm according to Paddle Palace) as compared to my S-CZ (6.15mm).

The throw seems medium. I am using MX-P and T05. 
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2017 at 12:19pm
slower than Treiber Z is good.  In spite of what is being said about the control of the Z, I found it bouncy some times .  Slevin could you compare the two in that aspect that when you do a further update.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2017 at 11:14am
Slevin, any updates?
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2017 at 8:21pm
It is a fantastic blade.

• I prefer the thickness of this blade (6.15mm) to that of the Treiber Z (66mm, which makes it a bit too bouncy) and the Donic WC89 series (The Waldner & Persson are 7mm). It is perhaps a shade slower than the Viscaria but has heaps of power reserve due to the ZLC fiber - put a little weight transfer in your shot and you get a very powerful stroke (similar to what you get with a 92g Viscaria).
  • The Ayous layer helps in adding a bit of flex to the blade. It is a bit less flexy than the Maze but more than the Viscaria
  • Feeling is subjective - I prefer the feeling of this blade to the Viscaria (which feels relatively numb). However, feedback for short game is not subjective - this blade offers more feedback for a better short game than the Viscaria
  • It does everything very well - whether it is serves, opening loops, power loops or smashes.
  • I love ZLC fiber. However, I have some issue or the other with most ZLC blades. MJ-ZLC and IF-ZLC are too fast for the amount of flex they have (oddly enough, I find MJ-SZLC has better control than MJ-ZLC because it is super-stiff). Donic Waldner & Persson WC89 are too thick and powerful. Appelgren WC89 is a little bit mushy. I tried, but I never liked the Xiom Vega Pro blade (too much off-center vibration, mediocre build quality). This one is just right.
  • Did I say it has a fantastic handle?
  • Relative to the Nittaku Meister Holz Sieben, it has less spin (which should be obvious - the Holz Sieben is a spin monster) on opening loops and less feel (NMHS is one of the 2 best all-wood blades I have tried). However, the ZLC gives it a better backbone (& control) for power-looping and for smashes. To me, the ZLC also helps in performing certain serves better (like heavy underspin serves) than with a 7-ply all-wood such as the NMHS.
In short, if you (like me) prefer ZLC fiber to ALC, this blade should be on the top of you list.

Reviewer level (otherwise NL shall ask me for one): I am a standard 2-winged looper with a USATT league rating currently hovering around 1950 (haven't played weekend tournaments in a while).

Edited by slevin - 03/03/2017 at 8:27pm
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2017 at 11:28pm
Slevin, thanks for pointing out a great prospect that has a reasonable price.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2017 at 4:08am
On offer this week at tt11 as well. Very tempting.
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2017 at 9:52am
I just got from Table Tennis 11 the five ply version of this blade. S – 5 ST. I have it glued up and will be playing with it today. Should be able to write up a report under a separate topic on Sunday. The blade is very beautiful . It is obviously a Soulspin product
            BBC Hinoki

sherwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2017 at 2:18pm
You mentioned that NMHS is one of the two best all wood blades you've tried.  What is the other?
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2017 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by sherwood sherwood wrote:

You mentioned that NMHS is one of the two best all wood blades you've tried.  What is the other?

The Soulspin Roots Spin Offensive blade.
sherwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2017 at 6:28pm
How does Nittaku s-cz compare to Photino in feel and playing characteristics?
sherwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2017 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Normally, Soulspin blades are expensive (I have the Roots Spin Offensive at home) and if you like Hinoki or Spruce outers, they are one of the best choices out there. I, for one, am a fan of their creations.

Have you tried the Donic Ovtcharov Feat?  If so, can you compare the Roots Spin Offensive feel, feedback, hardness, flex, and playing characteristics?

Thanks.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2017 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by sherwood sherwood wrote:

Have you tried the Donic Ovtcharov Feat?  If so, can you compare the Roots Spin Offensive feel, feedback, hardness, flex, and playing characteristics?

Thanks.

Good question - as the sequence of plies in both is the same. However, they are different blades. Ovtcharov Feat construction quality is similar to those of the 'WC89 series.

First, the RSO3 is an offensive blade. It is at least OFF if not higher. It's core is thicker than that of the OF. the blade is around 7mm thick. It is faster than the Holz Sieben (whereas the OF is slower). Second, the RSO3 plies seem to be of much better quality. Third, the gluing method used is different. Fourth, there is a big difference in quality of the handle used. The OF is lighter (75 - 80g mostly), thinner (6.2mm) and at the most OFF- in speed.

Additionally, with the RSO3, you have a lot of flexibility to make the blade the way you want it. You can choose the handle wood, style and the desired weight of the overall blade. The blade configuration I had selected showed up as 97g online they were able to bring the weight down to my desired 84g after choosing lighter wood plies. Very good balance - goes great with heavy rubbers.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2017 at 2:00pm
I give my recommendation for the SC-Z.  ST with Stiga Mantra H FH , Airoc Astro S BH, both 2.0.  Find the combo satisfactory in matches. Speed around OTC, good in flat drives / smashes.  Good feel( on the crisp side with slight vibration) and control.  Decent on spin generation with medium throw.  Good handle and balance.  Used for over one month.
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 5:55am
dear slevin,
I tried the configurator and got lost. It seems you ended up using the best combination and my preferred weight. Could you please type the exact configuration you chose? THANKS. I want to buy the exact one:)

Edited by Mickael - 06/25/2017 at 5:56am
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2017 at 10:37am
Mickael: sent you a PM with the handle config.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic