Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newgy 2050 vs. Y&T V989E

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
racarman245 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racarman245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newgy 2050 vs. Y&T V989E
    Posted: 02/23/2017 at 3:41pm
Hello,

I will soon be making my first robot purchase and would like some advice.  I've checked out all the videos and reviews I can find, but without having actually played with a robot, its really difficult to tell which is better.  I'm a 1600 level player, currently having coaching once per month, and would like to use the robot to drill technique into muscle memory.

I'm looking at buying a used Newgy 2050 or used Y&T V989E.  Both models are from 2012, and so around 4 years old.  I'm not sure what final price would be, but lets say they both cost $400 each.

From reviews, here are the advantages/disadvantages I have gathered so far (only comparing the differences, so I've left out if they have same features e.g. recycling net, etc):

Newgy 2050
Advantages:
- 64 pre-programmed drills
- can produce sequences of long/short balls e.g. short backspin followed by long backspin

Disadvantages:
- single throw wheel = speed and spin are not independent = unrealistic ball flight on some shots
- attached to table, cannot be moved

Y&T V989E
Advantages:
- programmable, but not "pre-programmed"
- dual throw wheels, de-coupling spin from speed to produce more realistic shots
- can be moved from table to practice lobs / chopping

Disadvantages:
- can only produce "randomized" short/long, so it seems like it would be impossible to do short push then loop sequence (can anyone confirm?)

Summary
I think it comes down to what is more important a) dual throw wheels or b) short / long sequence drills?

What do you think? I'd be extremely interested in anyone that has actually played with both and compare the differences first hand. 

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

maurice101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2017 at 7:19pm
I had a 2050 and ungraded to a second hand butterfly 2000 for $750
I found the 2050 had an unnatural spin and it actually hindered my game i used it a lot.
It was like I had to adjust my game after using the 2050 robot. The backspin was super heavy too.
Ball quality is more important than programs in my  view.
Try to get the new butterfly robot if you can find a second hand one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic