FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Boosting Neo rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boosting Neo rubbers
    Posted: 05/10/2017 at 3:40am
It may be worn out subject, but anyway I am asking those who boosted their NEO sponges. Do you clean the factory glue layer before boosting? I am asking for TG3 NEO particularly. Which hardness should react better on Falco Long? Recently I boosted a regular TG3 and the result is just great so I decided to try a Neo. Thanks
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Sponsored Links

Claudiu84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudiu84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 5:15am
Kinda off topic:
How did u boosted the regular non neo TG3 (can you describe the entire process?)? I'm asking that because i have a new sheet and kinda want to boost it!

Edited by Claudiu84 - 05/10/2017 at 5:16am
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 6:00am
When boosting, I apply 3 layers of booster (Haifu), remove the factory glue and then use 1 layer of WBG on the blade and 2 layers on the rubber.
Claudiu84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudiu84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 6:11am
So, you apply booster on the factory glue (on Neo Version, because the old one doesn't have glue on it), let it dry, then remove the glue (who contain booster) and apply an other layer of glue?
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Claudiu84 Claudiu84 wrote:

Kinda off topic:
How did u boosted the regular non neo TG3 (can you describe the entire process?)? I'm asking that because i have a new sheet and kinda want to boost it!

Depends on your booster. By applying a layer of glue, your booster will spread evenly.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 8:34am
There's plenty of threads in boosting methods already

If I remember correctly:

Water base glue first 1 layer
Booster - 1 layer
Dry - 12-24 hours
Booster again - 1 layer
Dry
Glue to blade

Another method is to remove the factor glue layer

But I think people don't do that because of fear boosters might penetrate into the pips side and loosening the glue creating bubbles
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

It may be worn out subject, but anyway I am asking those who boosted their NEO sponges. Do you clean the factory glue layer before boosting? I am asking for TG3 NEO particularly. Which hardness should react better on Falco Long? Recently I boosted a regular TG3 and the result is just great so I decided to try a Neo. Thanks

Falco will make your rubber softer (2-3 degrees down), so better choose the hardest one in the market.

Falco is not a booster
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 9:27am
For general purposes in boosting Neo sponges.....  just leave the glue layer on especially if you have only removed the rubber 1 time from the first glue job.  Leaving a glue layer on the rubber then boosting will allow for a slower absorption into the sponge and yes.....it does go into the top sheet at various degrees pending on booster strength/type. 

General info on boosting.

It all depends on what booster you are using.  Different sponges react differently to different boosters.  Generally I have found that the ESN sponges react quickly compared to non ESN types like say.....Mark V, or rubbers that have the more tight or closed pores then the new gen stuff.  I have only boosted a few DHS rubbers, neo and non....the non neo's had a quicker and fuller reaction. 

That said,  when you boost for the first time with a sponge or booster you have not used before, just use 1 layer first and let sit overnight.  If you see a decent amount of reverse curl.....its most likely pretty well boosted.   You can do another layer to see what happens further, but you could chance wrecking the sponge pending on its hardness and also again, which booster is used. 

Now also watch for rubbers that dont reverse curl very much after a decent layer of booster.  Sometimes you just need a certain level of booster to make the sponge react to desired boost level.  Sometimes the sponges do not react much at all as far as expansion or change in bounce/liveliness.   Mark V was one for me with these types of results when I used Falco Long.  I had 2 other rubbers that did little with F long.....but cant recall which ones they were specifically...but the were not ESN rubbers for sure. 

Good luck with experimenting...just do it slow and be patient.  Search for any boosting topics on the rubber or booster before trying if you are not sure what will happen. 

MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 9:33am
OP:

no need to remove factory glue at all. In fact, you don't really need to care about that layer. You can boost directly on that layer, or apply glue first, then boost. It really doesn't matter that much, although the norm is to glue first then oil. People make this way too complicated then it needs to be. Just remember to peel off the plastic on the topsheet before boosting.
Shiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 11:09am
As a Hurricane Neo user, I leave the glue layer on there. I add 1 layer of glue, let it try, put 5 layers of booster (not at the same time but in 24-48 hour intervals) and then wait for the rubber to uncurl to glue easier. Generally when I reboost, I put around 3-4 layers depending on it's playing characteristics.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 11:16am
Again....for most of you explaining your process.....the amount of layers depend on the booster type. 

So if you say you put "x" amount of booster layers on the sponge.....you need to tell others exactly which booster your using.  With a few different types....you can easily ruin a decent rubber by over tuning it and turning it into a big pile of mush.  
vispowerspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vispowerspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 11:29am
1. 3 layers DHS no 15 glue (protect from bubbling)
2. 2 layers dianchi or haifu boost (20-30 min interval)
3. dry overnight (at least 6 hours)
4. 1 layer DHS no 15 glue on blade and glue on.

5. hit for few hours
6. reboost (1 layer) the following night if necessary (if still too hard)
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 12:04pm

So, you apply booster on the factory glue (on Neo Version, because the old one doesn't have glue on it), let it dry, then remove the glue (who contain booster) and apply an other layer of glue?

Yes.
Leaving the factory glue with booster increases weight and takes away some of the crispness of the rubber.
If you like a more cushioned feel, you can leave the factory glue on.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 12:28pm
I removed the factory glue from H3 Neo and put two layers of Seamoon -> by far the best rubber I have ever played with and its not even close.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 6:56pm

Kinda off topic:

On the clean sponge I applied a thick layer untill absorption, then another one. The dome was huge and seemed eternal , so after a week of waiting I glued it on and kept it in the clicky press over night. The result is WOW. I have tons of spin and speed(with the P-ball). Even the smash is not bad
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 7:08pm
Well, I am not new to boosting, but the few times I applied on a sponge​ without removing the old glue, the mess was disastrous. I just never thought of boosting my NEO stuff. I had them before the P-ball era.
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2017 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

Falco will make your rubber softer (2-3 degrees down), so better choose the hardest one in the market.

very true...is there a booster that does not soften the sponge?  anyone? 
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2017 at 2:06am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

For general purposes in boosting Neo sponges.....  just leave the glue layer on especially if you have only removed the rubber 1 time from the first glue job.  Leaving a glue layer on the rubber then boosting will allow for a slower absorption into the sponge and yes.....it does go into the top sheet at various degrees pending on booster strength/type. 

It all depends on what booster you are using.  Different sponges react differently to different boosters.  Generally I have found that the ESN sponges react quickly compared to non ESN types like say.....Mark V, or rubbers that have the more tight or closed pores then the new gen stuff.  I have only boosted a few DHS rubbers, neo and non....the non neo's had a quicker and fuller reaction. 

That said,  when you boost for the first time with a sponge or booster you have not used before, just use 1 layer first and let sit overnight.  If you see a decent amount of reverse curl.....its most likely pretty well boosted.   You can do another layer to see what happens further, but you could chance wrecking the sponge pending on its hardness and also again, which booster is used. 

Now also watch for rubbers that dont reverse curl very much after a decent layer of booster.  Sometimes you just need a certain level of booster to make the sponge react to desired boost level.  Sometimes the sponges do not react much at all as far as expansion or change in bounce/liveliness.   Mark V was one for me with these types of results when I used Falco Long.  I had 2 other rubbers that did little with F long.....but cant recall which ones they were specifically...but the were not ESN rubbers for sure. 

Good luck with experimenting...just do it slow and be patient.  Search for any boosting topics on the rubber or booster before trying if you are not sure what will happen. 

You have mentioned different sponges but you assume that every booster is the same. In fact, different booster reacts many different ways...Falco is only one kind of booster, it is only a bit more popular than the others.
Falco is not a booster
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2017 at 2:12am

Well, I am not new to boosting, but the few times I applied on a sponge​ without removing the old glue, the mess was disastrous. I just never thought of boosting my NEO stuff. I had them before the P-ball era.

Some 2nd generation tension sponges such as Bryce Speed, Nimbus, Renanos,..even make WTB glue very soft and running. In this case, paraffin based booster is disaster because it ends up to a non-dry glue layer. Many times gluing cause thicker running mud layer under you rubber. However, if you don't remove the original glue of Neo DHS, and don't use Falco, you will never have the same problem.
Falco is not a booster
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2017 at 4:30am
So I better remove first
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2017 at 10:48am
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

It all depends on what booster you are using.  Different sponges react differently to different boosters. 

You have mentioned different sponges but you assume that every booster is the same. In fact, different booster reacts many different ways...Falco is only one kind of booster, it is only a bit more popular than the others.

chop....i think you missed this part in my post there......  Wink
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2017 at 11:10am
Just a question on a similar topic: Does the Nittaku H3 neo rubber require boosting?
Barwell fleet, Omega 7 Pro & Fastarc S1
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2017 at 2:21pm
I suspect everything "H3" will better with boosting. BTW, I didn't know about a Nittaku NEO H3
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2017 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by wanchope wanchope wrote:

Just a question on a similar topic: Does the Nittaku H3 neo rubber require boosting?

Its the same has DHS Neo H3 but it's considered to be higher quality (always been suspected to be provincial, though never been confirmed).

Edited by liXiao - 05/11/2017 at 2:25pm
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2017 at 2:48pm
I play the Nittaku Hurricane 3 Neo since a couple of years and it is like the DHS Hurricane 3 Neo Provincial with the 39º sponge in terms of quality and feel. You decide if you need to boost it!
What I really like about it is that the quality is always the same and I have ordered it from Japan as well as TT11; I always got the exact same rubber.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2017 at 2:50pm
LiXiao, thanks! I thought I could just avoid boosing and still get tacky rubbers through Nittaku. Probably not.

Kolev, yes there is the Nittaku Hurricane 3, most likely to be a provincial version or similar, but cheaper than the DHS provincial H3.
Barwell fleet, Omega 7 Pro & Fastarc S1
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2017 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Originally posted by wanchope wanchope wrote:

Its the same has DHS Neo H3 but it's considered to be higher quality (always been suspected to be provincial, though never been confirmed).

In fact, it has much higher price so everyone assume it has better quality (due to JN quality control).
The same scenario to "prov", "pro" and "NT" version.
whoever says it worse just because his level is not suitable to play the "higher" quality rubber! J/K
Falco is not a booster
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2017 at 5:41pm
How to boost your Neo rubber (one of a number of methods)

1. 3 layers DHS no 15 glue (protect from bubbling)
2. 2 layers dianchi or haifu boost (20-30 min interval)
3. dry overnight (at least 6 hours)
4. 1 layer DHS no 15 glue on blade and glue on.
5. hit for few hours
6. reboost (1 layer) the following night if necessary (if still too hard)'

Holy sweet freakin' Falco!  I didn't pay that much attention to helping raise my little brother (now a soon to be 64 year old 6'2" 220 lb. lawyer) and he turned out all right.  Are y'all sure all this trouble is absolutely necessary in order to play what started out as a pastime for bored British soldiers and then become a parlor game and brief fad and is now something that alchemists of old could stand up and cheer for.?   

In the early 1900s banjo batters (that is, vellum boys and girls) used ground glass or emery powder to speed and spin up their cut down battledores.  Couldn't this work with any version of a Neo rubber presently produced and be a lot less expensive, if not necessarily less dangerous?
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2017 at 7:16pm
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2017 at 6:52am
BTW, my decision to try boosting NEO TG3 is gaining a bit more speed, cause as I mentioned somewhere I love my regular TG3 after boosting and I wouldn't mind it being a bit faster.Its reasonably tacky(not over tacky), which is good for the p-ball.Love the weight too. I just wonder if the Nittaku NEO H3 is faster than the DHS NEO TG3? Anyone??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic