Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do you use 500ml glue for it's entire life?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How do you use 500ml glue for it's entire life?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you use 500ml glue for it's entire life?
    Posted: 06/28/2017 at 12:31pm
By this I mean,

I owned a Vario Clean 500ml bottle, but then over time there was like a really stick gloop that formed which I couldn't get back into liquid form. This was all the "sticky" stuff and after that I was left with a thin liquid that had no stick whatsoever. I had to use VOC glue for 1 rubber as the Vario Clean wouldn't glue anything, even with a tiny dome.

Do you guys know what I'm talking about? I think during the winter it's the worst, but over time this happened to me twice - the glue lost the viscosity as the gloop formed?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Sponsored Links

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 12:32pm
Excuse the typo from the title
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 7:40pm
This also happened to me with a bottle of Copydex once but afterwards I realised that the cap was not closing the bottle properly because of some glue residue in the cap...
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 8:37pm
Coagulation. The ammonia escaped and that is what keeps the glue from curing. Get a real glue.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Coagulation. The ammonia escaped and that is what keeps the glue from curing. Get a real glue.

Vario Clean? That's essentially free chack though?

How do I prevent the coagulation.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 9:18pm
Thats why i buy the 90ml bottles. I too use Vario Clean and 90ml bottle lasts me a while since i glue once every 3-4 months. But no problems with glue thickening or separating.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 9:51pm

Just wondering...if we use liquid ammonia on this coagulated glue would it actually return back to its liquid state or is it done after it gets cured?
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2017 at 11:37pm
SmackDAT......you will have to get used to buying just the right amount of glue to get you through a 6-12 month period using a lot of the water glues unfortunately....just the nature of the formulation.

Worst things you can do to it which causes quicker spoiling... don't allow it to get cold or stay open and breathing air.  As soon as you use the glue....quickly get the cap back on it.  Id say temps above 60F are fine for storage long term....by using Tear Mender, which can go bad quickly if not taken care of well.  But the slight change in formula they made a year or so ago made it last longer.  If you have a bottle of tear mender that smells like ammonia....it is the old version.  The new version uses something that smells like wintergreen. 

I buy a 6.oz (177ml) about every 6 months.  I also glue others blades too so it makes it easy to cycle through fresh bottles of medium sized ones for my particular use amount.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 12:57am
I go through these every month or so, I really like the glue and use it for all the bats I glue (except OX rubbers). I suspect as with all glues like this, once it gets below a certain temperature, it solidifies, and after this there is no way to turn it into a liquid again. You'd want to make sure you get a fresh one when you buy it, because if it's been sitting on a dealer's shelve in a warehouse for a long time, possibly at low temperatures, it might have started to solidify before you even get it.
I always keep mine at room temperature, and only use it to re-fill 90ml bottle, after which I close it tightly and have not had any issues at all.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 1:31am
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Vario Clean? That's essentially free chack though?

How do I prevent the coagulation.

Try to keep the evaporation of ammonia at a minimal.

When it comes to glue, don't buy too much OR;

Get something like the Haifu/Dianchi water-solubility bond instead. That little sucker may not look much, but it can stand the test of time. I had a 300ml bottle from early 2009 and kept it in a Ziploc bag. Gave it a good shake before each use. As of May 2017, it was still runny, color was still milky white and it still reeked of pee, err, I mean sharp cheese. Good as new, for US$13.

Edited by zeio - 06/29/2017 at 4:03am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 1:38am
I had the same problem twice with large bottles of DHS #15.  After that, I gave up on both the large bottles and #15.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 1:55am
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

Just wondering...if we use liquid ammonia on this coagulated glue would it actually return back to its liquid state or is it done after it gets cured?

It should be possible but the problem with latex(rubber suspended in a solution, water in this case) is that once it coagulates, the latex itself vulcanizes(crosslinks) and that process is irreversible.

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/ammonia-liquid-latex-why-235345.html#post2588055
http://chem2u.blogspot.com/2011/08/coagulation-of-latex.html
http://www.sserc.org.uk/chemistry-resources/chemistry-experiments/3865-latex-cross-linking
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 8:40am
I get a 32 oz container of Tearmender and then use that to fill up a empty 16oz Tearmender bottle to about 3/4. This way, the 32 oz container gets rarely opened.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 11:04am

Try to keep the evaporation of ammonia at a minimal.

When it comes to glue, don't buy too much OR;

Get something like the Haifu/Dianchi water-solubility bond instead. That little sucker may not look much, but it can stand the test of time. I had a 300ml bottle from early 2009 and kept it in a Ziploc bag. Gave it a good shake before each use. As of May 2017, it was still runny, color was still milky white and it still reeked of pee, err, I mean sharp cheese. Good as new, for US$13.

+1 on the Haifu WSB.  Very watery which I like very much.  Just have to be careful with the cap because it can break sometimes or as you wrote, seal in a Ziploc bag.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 12:43pm
What does the ziploc bag do?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 3:49pm
The ziploc bag keeps the air and moisture out thus prolonging the life of glue.
BigFatLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFatLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2017 at 6:55pm
Where do you get a 32 oz container of TM?  I can get the 6 oz at Ace or 16 oz from Amazon.

Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

I get a 32 oz container of Tearmender and then use that to fill up a empty 16oz Tearmender bottle to about 3/4. This way, the 32 oz container gets rarely opened.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2017 at 8:56am
Originally posted by BigFatLoop BigFatLoop wrote:

Where do you get a 32 oz container of TM?  I can get the 6 oz at Ace or 16 oz from Amazon.

Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Yea...I never saw it anywhere in anything larger than a 16.oz bottle....maybe slevin contacted TE and got them to send a gallon jug of it to him....lol    He must glue rubbers every day. 
man_iii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man_iii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2017 at 7:19am
I found out the hard way that WBG dries up around the Bottle rim and threads. If you dont meticulously remove any and ALL dried glue build up BEFORE closing the lid, you can end up BREAKING the cap :-( or worse leave a slight gap between cap and bottle which allows the glue to soak through and flow out into what ever carry-on you are storing it in :-( 

Also, there is a plastic / spongy / foam tab just inside the cap or comes sealed on top of the bottle ? DON'T THROW THAT DISC AWAY ! If you keep it firmly inside the lid or take it off and clean it and re-apply on the bottle before closing the lid it will form an airtight seal like when it was new. Or you can get that soft mushy cloth-like foam that come with packaging materials ? Cut out a disk and put tape on one side ? and make a new one. 

I have had bad experience with Andro big glue bottles leaking everywhere and cap breaking because I screwed on too tight to try prevent said leakage. I still buy FineZip glue tubes and I have had horrible experience where the whole tube got wasted despite the cap closed properly. FineZip I fixed the problem by reattaching that white plastic/foam disk to the tube mouth before screwing the nozzle back on  ( some glue gets wasted in the nozzle and that can't be helped ).  And I recently got a DHS No.15 glue bottle. Followed my own advise and the bottle is still pretty fresh.

I usually mix up FineZip / Andro / now DHS no.15  glue in different amounts in a tiny bottle ( 25 ml? ) until I get the right kind of viscosity that I like. Not runny, not like a paste, spreads easily evenly thinnly with a brush or sponge in one stroke, does not run out over the edges, dries in 5 mins, bonds strongly ( you can't re-align it even a little bit ) , glue peels off in long stretchy chunks but cannot be removed in one piece. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic