Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Rubber with low thow angle for BH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
plazm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plazm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rubber with low thow angle for BH
    Posted: 09/12/2006 at 4:30am
I'm using a red sheet of Donic J.O. Waldner (2.0) on my backhand, and, My BH shots tend to go over too much.
I use it with Energywood blade, and I'm lookig for something with lower throw angle than Waldner.
Any recommendations on BH rubbers (Jap/Euro type)?
or should I just get a thinner sponge?
I'm thinking about getting Mendo MP or Ekrips.
How are those rubbers compared with Waldner?
btw I don't use speed glue.
Sponsored Links

silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2006 at 6:01am
why don't you just adjust your bh?
Potato Face
*JC* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *JC* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2006 at 6:08am
easy fix

Aim down a bit more/close the bat.

Your getting to much speed and not enough spin. This happens when you switch to faster gear than you can handle usually.

Pretty common with people just moving to bryce.
close the angle, increase handspeed and you will be set :)
Thats not a knife
THIS is a knife.
Thats not a knife
THATS a spoon.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2006 at 6:14am

You might want to try Ekrips if you've got a little spare $$$.

I agree with JC about Bryce though... closing the angle will help.

Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
agooding2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agooding2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2006 at 9:14am

If you're used to short pips on your backhand, pretty much any inverted will tend to go long at first as it will come off your blade at a higher angle than you're used to as the incoming topspin grips the topsheet. 

The Energy wood may also have a higher throw angle than your Avalox 700.  Have you tried the Waldner on your 700 yet?  That might also help.

Lowest throw angle inverted I've used is Spintech Dynasty.  Get the regular version and thin sponge (like 1.8).  Ekrips might work or Mendo MP in a thin sponge, but I remember Dynasty as lower angle and they all cost about the same. 

Later you may want to go back to Waldner or something similar as they'll be easier to use for backhand looping.

-- Andrew

mrt4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrt4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2006 at 9:14am

I also agree.

Also, mendo mp is a lot harder to control tha jo waldner.

\Robin

Swedish male, playing since 1993.

Blade: Timo boll w5
forehand: Tenergy 25fx 2,1

Backhand: Energy absorber 1,6

glue: waterbased!!!!

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2006 at 3:35pm
Hi plasm,
     I use Rosnet air on both sides. It is faster than Juic 999 but Very controlable. It is LOW throw, will loop and keeps the smashes down. Another faster option for Low throw is Hammond Alpha pro. Low throw but less room for errors because of the speed.
     I can switch between Rosnet Air and Hammond without changing my stroke at all but my consistancy if higher with Rosnet. I have them on carbon/ary bats rated Off +.   Also Rosnet on a G10 fiberglass rated Fast. Still have lots of control.
     I have tried Hammond X and cannot tell the difference from Alpha Pro.  The Alpha Pro is cheaper. I dont speed glue.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2006 at 3:45pm

I've always had a preference for "low throw" rubbers on my backhand.  The three rubbers that meet that definition I've played with include: Ekrips, Mendo MP and Bryce.

Mendo MP and Bryce will most likely be signficantly faster than JO Waldner.  I found Bryce to have more "kick/bounce" while Mendo MP to be more predictable/linear than Bryce.

Ekrips will probably be just slightly faster than JO Waldner.  Definitely low throw, reat for blocking, hitting and counterdriving and quite good for everything else.  Speed gluing doesn't seem to do much to Ekrips, so if you don't glue it might be the most appropriate choice for you.

Hope this helps.

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
plazm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plazm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2006 at 5:57pm
Thanks all for the advice.
I think I should practice my BH more.
I'm used to short pip too much and I cannot be consistent while using 2 kinds at the same time.
Later when I have more money, I'll go for other rubbers.

also, how is Mark V compared to JO Waldner?
alfie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2006 at 6:09pm

Originally posted by plazm plazm wrote:

Thanks all for the advice.
I think I should practice my BH more.
I'm used to short pip too much and I cannot be consistent while using 2 kinds at the same time.
Later when I have more money, I'll go for other rubbers.

also, how is Mark V compared to JO Waldner?

Personally I think mark v is great for everything except blocking in fact it's the worst rubber I have tried for blocking,never tried JO

Blade Xiom Control 3/ALL+
BH Andro impuls speed
FH H3 Provincial
Tibhar CTE
PongPong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PongPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2006 at 9:03pm

Guys, he said he does not speed glue. Don't forget the rubbers mentioned need to be speed glued. Why don't you try Donic F1?

I do not speed glue either. I used Tibhar Rapid D. Tech on both sides and I had the same problems with the high throw. The backhand can be adjusted as many mentioned. But my FH serve always popped up too high. I switched FH to Donic F1 and now it's much better. These two rubber do not need to be speed glued. 

sukraat View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukraat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2006 at 2:19am
jo waldner the donic version is good but the one made by nittaku sucks so go for donic jo waldner.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2006 at 8:49am
yasaka v stage has a low throw angle too and also dhs h2
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
silence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2006 at 10:05am
Rubbers that I have found to have lower throw :
(rubber) (thickness I used) (notes)
Mambo        1.9              low throw seems more pronounced on a slow blade or maybe softer.
V-Stage       2.0              seems similar but faster

I have heard that Bryce,Hammond and Ekrips all have low throw. The mambo had a more noticable low throw on a vsg-1000 than on a firehand. The vsg is a softer blade in my opinion, I originally thought it was because the vsg was slower but after further thought I decided that it was probably because of the firehand being harder.

It would probably be really good on a Energy wood.
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2006 at 12:08pm
The throw angle won't change anything. You are playing pretty much a standard equipment which is certainly good enough for anybody and any kind of stroke.

Here is a nice little rule of thumb that applies pretty often:
Look at the hight of the ball when it crosses the net.
If you have too much arc (too high), you have to pull the stroke more forward.
If the hight is ok but the ball is still too long then you don't have enough spin. You need to train to get a faster hand and better technique.

The setups is fine. These are basic problems and only basic training will solve them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic