Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - An efficient ball picker you can make yourself !
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

An efficient ball picker you can make yourself !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An efficient ball picker you can make yourself !
    Posted: 09/07/2017 at 11:09pm

You can make yourself a ping-pong ball picker easily with household materials . All you need is a container to hold the balls, a rod for the handle , a few rubber bands and some duct tapes !

1)    I used the  plastic casing of a DVD holding tower  ( for no particular reason : it was lying around my desktop PC ! see Pic_01 ) , cut out the bottom  and ended up with basically a short cylindrical tube.

2)    Six holes were made on one end of  the  tube near the edge  .  Three  rubber bands were then strung across at 30. mm  spacings (see Pic_ 02 ). They should be a bit tight to enable the ball easily popped  into the container  when the  device is pushed straight down  on it .

3)    A wooden rod was then attached to the container by duct tapes (see Pic_03 ), served as the handle of the ball picker . Pic_ 04 showed the top view of the container .

Pic_01

cPic_02

Pic_03

Pic_04

You can watch this ball picker in action in the video below :

Edited by mike1250 - 09/08/2017 at 10:48am
Sponsored Links

Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 9:35am
These are more important than it seems when doing multiball practice. It spares you from back pain. I used to joke to my first coach these should be considered hospital equipment. He had two of those fancy ones, but these do the job just as well.

FdT
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 10:31am
[QUOTE=Fulanodetal]

You are right !  I even made a mini ball picker for a friend of mine  who has  stiff knees but  still loves to play ping-pong . Watching him bending down to pick-up the ball is heart-wrenching sometimes . The mini version can pick up one ball at a time and he  is much happier these days with my contraption .

Check out this video and see the mini ball picker in action :

Edited by mike1250 - 09/08/2017 at 10:47am
pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 11:45am
Rubber bands fail quickly, suggest using 1/8" bungie cord which will last forever and allow easier tension adjustment.  Also suggest square container versus round one, especially if you are making a larger pickup.   String horizontally and then vertically(90 degrees) ...  a square container allows one to have more uniform square slots.

Edited by pdotec - 09/08/2017 at 11:49am
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 12:40pm
[QUOTE=pdotec]

Great suggestions for further refinement  ! Using another set of rubberbands orthogonal to the original ones, however,  might not be efficient in multi-ball pick-up  as balls can get stuck in adjacent square slots .  Thanks , pdotec ClapClap .

Edited by mike1250 - 09/08/2017 at 1:49pm
mike1250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

that's the best mypingpongbuddy knockoff I've ever seen! (I can't afford $40 for a ball picker upper).

You are 100% right-on !  Ideas are all over the Net and adaptation to your own needs is the fun of life , isn't it . Thanks for the truthful comment . ClapClap
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2017 at 3:07pm
I used a plastic trash can with the bottom cut out and facing up, and strung it like a tennis racket with old tennis strings It works quite well. I put bike grips on a broomstick and screwed it to the can to make it more comfortable.
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic