Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

For cutting rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For cutting rubber
    Posted: 10/03/2017 at 3:54pm
What is the standard for cutting when attaching new rubber?

I've used different kinds of scissors and exacto knives.  Neither of them have really done a great job.  I guess this $20 pair of scissors I had made the easier and cleanest cut.

I have an EJ friend who uses $100 surgical scissors. 

Any recommendations?  butcher knives?  Pizza cutters?
Sponsored Links

Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 4:08pm
Im happy with my surgical knife (scalpel). the handle cost like 5$. There's a british brand , same model that costs about $25. 

https://www.amazon.ca/BDEALS-Scalpel-Handle-Surgical-Instruments/dp/B001D72R46/ref=pd_sim_469_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4X88FD5CY552P4JT1YTM

and these blades...also not very expensive....

https://www.amazon.ca/Surgical-Universal-Replacement-World-Hobbies/dp/B006M6GMCQ/ref=pd_sim_328_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X7CY8TQ8H272ATKDDBC1

Swann Norton is the fancy handle if you want a higher end handle...but they fit the same blades.

https://www.amazon.ca/Swann-Morton-Handle-5-10-Blades/dp/B004OIAVJY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1507061166&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Swann+Norton+scalpel+handle

Anyway, the cut is razor sharp with a scalpel. If you use a brand new blade you still have to do about 2 or three passes before the rubber is completely cut.

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 10/03/2017 at 4:09pm
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 4:08pm
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C12EHM/

I use these and they perform marvelously.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C12EHM/
I use these and they perform marvelously.
======
Your link does not work.

Not sure if you are talking about this:
skip3119
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 4:45pm
Seems like so far nobody uses scissors.  I sometimes mess up when using a blade of some kind and make an "angled" cut.  

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 4:51pm
I use scissors and the key is to cut with very quick and small strokes, close to the axis joining the 2 blades.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 4:58pm
I use a stencil/surgical knife, that is sold on megaspin. Replace the blade every few cuts. It’s buttery smooth and gives that perfect smooth edge if you are careful. As long as you keep the angle of the blade perpendicular to the racket while cutting you won’t damage the blade. I used to use nail scissors with curved edges, those were good but still nothing compares to a surgical blade.

Edited by DreiZ - 10/03/2017 at 5:00pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 5:12pm
If using xacto knife or scalpel make two cuts. First for the sponge then finish with the topsheet. Swiff, scissors are fine. Do like fatt said small strokes close to the axis. Last tip, a wet blade helps because the rubber doesn't catch it as much.
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 5:22pm
I used to use a blade. Switched to high quality German scissors a few years ago. I like being able to cut without requiring a special work surface that is needed if you use a blade.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 5:24pm
We have been using Sewing scissors for 8 years , the old black handle one that your grand mother had
good for hard or soft rubber as well as ox
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 5:55pm
Anyone have an Amazon link that points to the kind of scissors you are using? Thanks.
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 8:40pm
I use regular scissors
The sponge on the sides isn't perfectly rounded, a tiny shabby, but it's really no big deal. It doesn't matter
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 8:56pm
Anybody tried that?

Edited by fatt - 10/03/2017 at 8:57pm
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2017 at 9:44pm
Cutter for the sponge and finish the topsheet with scissors. 
The success of cutting the sponge is a sharp (new) and oiled razor. Never start cutting the sponge if the razor is dry, it will damaged it all.

Edited by TT newbie - 10/03/2017 at 9:47pm
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 2:06am
I used to use scalpels but most of the time it took two cuts to get all the way through. Eventually I switched to sciccors and that's what I use now.

I have a friend that uses a scalpel and gets beautiful clean cuts. So he swears by scalpels.  On the other hand, all the pros I've ever met use scissors.  I've never met one, Chinese or European, using a scalpel.

My scissors a $20 titanium and very sharp.  They work pretty well, and certainly a lot faster than scalpels, but I'm not completely satisfied with the cleanness of the cuts. I would be happy to find either better scissors or a really good scalpel.
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 8:46am
You should be able to find decent scalpels for 10$ or less including blades.

Note: when using scalpels or utility knives, the surface you’re cutting on is very important for getting a good, smooth cut. If you go the scalpel route (works well for me), invest in a $5 cutting mat.
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 9:10am
The revolution 3 scissors work really well
Barwell fleet, Omega 7 Pro & Fastarc S1
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 9:16am
About that electric rubber cutting machine....

A) the guy did not show a close up of the edge after cutting. I would have liked to see how clean the cut is.

B) Seems like overkill. And expensive.

A scalpel and a cutting mat is all well and good. I certainly don't care if all pros use scissors, if the scalpel works for me, then that is what really matters.

https://www.amazon.ca/Swann-Morton-Handle-5-10-Blades/dp/B004OIAVJY/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507122903&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=Swann+BNorton+scalpel

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 10/04/2017 at 9:19am
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 9:24am
I guess I will stick with my xacto knife.  I completely forgot about taking 2 passes to make the cut (it's been a while since I've done this).  I used to do that and it worked so much better.  

This time I used only one pass and just pressed the blade really hard.  The cut isn't nearly as good as it was in the past.

Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

I used to use scalpels but most of the time it took two cuts to get all the way through. Eventually I switched to sciccors and that's what I use now.

I have a friend that uses a scalpel and gets beautiful clean cuts. So he swears by scalpels.  On the other hand, all the pros I've ever met use scissors.  I've never met one, Chinese or European, using a scalpel.

My scissors a $20 titanium and very sharp.  They work pretty well, and certainly a lot faster than scalpels, but I'm not completely satisfied with the cleanness of the cuts. I would be happy to find either better scissors or a really good scalpel.

Same here.  I've never met any pros, but I've seen pros putting rubber on.  They always use some kind of scissors.  

Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 9:30am
I use an X-Acto knife with a #11 blade.  There are 3 grades of #11 blades, regular, stainless steel, and an even more durable grade.  I have a lot of people in my club come to me to have rubbers trimmed.  I use a Megaspin turntable, which, alas, is no longer sold.  I generally make a test cut in the upper corner of the rubber before trimming to test the sharpness of the blade, and also to evaluate how the sponge cuts.  If it's not a clean slice through the sponge, I either change the blade, or in rare circumstances, experiment with different techniques.  Calibra LT and Rozena are the two most difficult sponges to cut cleanly.  I make one or two passes through the sponge and topsheet before cutting completely through.  I usually toss a regular quality blade after one or two rubbers, or if I notice that the point is no longer sharp.  The stainless steel blades are slightly more expensive, but are usually good for 3-4 rubbers, and I try to buy those whenever possible.  Pro Edge makes number 11 blades which are about the same quality as X-Acto's regular blades.  Any others I have tried, particularly Revel have been very disappointing.
Xiom Haybusa Zxi
FH: Xiom Omega IV Elite
BH: Xiom Omega VI Europe
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Swiff Swiff wrote:

Same here.  I've never met any pros, but I've seen pros putting rubber on.  They always use some kind of scissors.  

That's because they don't care about a clean cut. Their rubbers won't stay on long enough for that to matter
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 11:36am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I use scissors and the key is to cut with very quick and small strokes, close to the axis joining the 2 blades.

I do about 10 rackets a day, and this is the correct answer.  I have a very old video on my site with similar advice.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 11:48am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I do about 10 rackets a day, and this is the correct answer.  I have a very old video on my site with similar advice.
lol I am 99.99% sure that's where I got it from. Thanks.

3rd video at the bottom:

Edited by fatt - 10/04/2017 at 11:53am
lshap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lshap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 1:40pm
My preferred cutting equipment, 

Surgical handle $5.00 with set of removable blades #24
Wooden round cutting board $5.00
Alcohol pads set of 200 for $2.00 (optional, but very convenient for wiping off residue from a blade to maintain clean cutting path) 
Please see a few pics of cut rubbers

I do not apply much pressure during cutting. Optimal cut through takes 2 tries. I Always keep cutting blade perpendicular to the cutting board to avoid angled cut, which is easy to do by using edge of tennis blade as a guide. Takes about 3 to 4 minutes to complete one rubber. Longer then by using scissors, but quality of a cut is not comparable.
1 Cutting blade usually good for 3-4 rubbers

rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by lshap lshap wrote:

My preferred cutting equipment, 

Surgical handle $5.00 with set of removable blades #24
Wooden round cutting board $5.00
Alcohol pads set of 200 for $2.00 (optional, but very convenient for wiping off residue from a blade to maintain clean cutting path) 
Please see a few pics of cut rubbers

I do not apply much pressure during cutting. Optimal cut through takes 2 tries. I Always keep cutting blade perpendicular to the cutting board to avoid angled cut, which is easy to do by using edge of tennis blade as a guide. Takes about 3 to 4 minutes to complete one rubber. Longer then by using scissors, but quality of a cut is not comparable.
1 Cutting blade usually good for 3-4 rubbers

Would be able to name the brand of the handle and blades, even more helpful if you can share the Amazon link
lshap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lshap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 3:05pm
Here is the link on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scalpel-Handle-4-Blue-Color-With-10-Surgical-Blade-24-Dental-DDP-Instruments-/111253254607?hash=item19e735f1cf

Or search for this item on a site You prefer to shop at:
Scalpel Handle #4  With  Surgical Blade # 24 
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2017 at 3:18pm

Box of 100 is $5.
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2017 at 4:17am
cheap scissors, and my rubbers look ugly, but anyway I'll use it 3 months max.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2017 at 9:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic