FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

BBC Blades for forum testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2018 at 2:19am
The Hinoki ghost has great stability which translates in to a solid blocking game, I do believe harder than 45 degree rubbers really compliment the soft nature of the blade.
Sponsored Links

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2018 at 1:27am
Yes the stability at such low weight is amazing, both of the ones I play with are 83g, and no loss of power.
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2018 at 2:52pm
Is the test still going on?
From the first page, is seems there are a few people yet to receive the blade/do the review. Or is the test over?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2018 at 3:50pm
The testing is still on, 3 of the testers are still in the process of writing and publishing their reviews, 84g  blade is currently with sherwood.
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2018 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

The testing is still on, 3 of the testers are still in the process of writing and publishing their reviews, 84g  blade is currently with sherwood.

Thanks!
This blade is very interesting, good to know that there's more info to come.
sherwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2018 at 12:07am
Review: BBC Hinoki Ghost

I tested the Hinoki Ghost blade with Tibhar EL-P, Tibhar MX-S, Victas V01 Stiff, and Butterfly Rozena rubber.

Hardness: Due to the 2 Hinoki outer layers, this blade has a very soft, dwelly feel and goes best with medium or hard rubber.  Unlike blades with hard outer layers (Limba, Koto) and a soft core (Kiri, Ayous) which give an immediate crisp sensation while allowing penetration into the core, this blade allows deep penetration into the relatively thick outer layers while firming up at the harder Mahogany core.

Flex: Due to the shape of the blade (J.O. Waldner-ish) it’s a bit difficult to give it a single flex rating.  If you contact the ball at the end of the blade where the shape is narrower, it flexes quite a bit.  But if you contact the ball toward the base of the blade, it is medium stiff. 

Speed: I would give this a low to mid offensive speed rating.

Control: This blade has excellent control overall.  Looping underspin from the backhand side is relatively easy because of the soft, dwelly Hinoki surface plies. 

Feel and Feedback: This blade produces very little vibration but has good feedback.  I tend to like good communicative vibration (as in the Nittaku S-5, OSP Virtuoso+, and Temper Tech Off+) so I don’t count the lack of vibration in the Hinoki Ghost as a positive (but that’s just me).  

Rubber Matching: Due to the soft outer plies, this blade will make rubber feel softer than on other blades.  Rozena, whose top sheet on all other blades felt too stiff/hard, felt fine on this blade and the sponge felt a bit too soft.  Even MX-S didn’t feel too hard on this blade as it has on other blades.  However, the rubber I liked best on this blade was Tibhar EL-P followed by Victas V01 Stiff.

Conclusion: This is a very controlled all-around offensive blade with good feedback.  I personally like the traditional head shape better and would prefer a more noticeably hard wood at the core (Walnut?) or the luxurious feel and sound of Spruce at the core (as in the Nittaku S-5).

Nittaku S-5
Dignics 05
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2018 at 3:20pm
Thanks for the review sherwood, the center ply is pretty hard dense mahogany, but will try to see if other center plys like maple make this blade different.
sherwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2018 at 5:04pm
Or White Ash?
Nittaku S-5
Dignics 05
Bikerjoe3 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bikerjoe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2018 at 11:31am
I have an Aspen Ghost which I think is the best blade ever. Would the Hinoki Ghost be harder or softer?
Would that make faster or slower?

Barracuda

Blades by Charlie
Aspen Ghost

YogiChris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YogiChris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2018 at 8:27am
Got the Ghost on Saturday, but wasn't able to play with it until last night.

Very high quality build. The size of the handle is really nice. I like a little larger handle and this is perfect. The teardrop head shape is interesting, never played with a blade with this shape, and while the head seemed smaller to the eye than what I’m used to when I lined up my rubbers the head size is actually similar in size to my other blades, with the top being slightly longer yet narrower.

For rubbers I’m using Bluefire JP 01 Turbo on the FH and Stiga Mantra S on the BH. These are rubbers I’m most familiar with though my current regular setup is different.

I haven’t been one to care about weighing my rubbers or blades. For some reason my past setups have always felt fairly similar in weight to one another. The blade itself felt a little heavier than my other blades, but it didn’t really register until I put the rubbers on. With rubbers this blade felt a little on the heavier side, though once I started hitting with it I wasn’t bothered by it at all. 

I hit with a robot for one hour, alternating with two other blades for comparison (Eternity -  fh: Hurricane 8/ bh: JP 03, ITC XQ - fh: OVT/ bh: JP 03), and hit with a partner for an hour. 

Medium high throw angle, slightly different than what I'm used to. Loops are nice, spinny loops are great with excellent feel/feedback. Loop drives go longer than expected with the arc driving the ball down farther than I’m used to (this was when I was closer to the table and I tend to hit the ball far on loop drives closer to the table in general). The other two blades were better in drives, and loops landed closer to the edges, which may be better in play.

Backhands are very nice with so much spin that when I get a really good ratio of friction over force the ball drops quickly after passing over the net. In general when I get good contact with the ball and my form is good the ball arc is very tight once the ball begins to turn downward. 

Lifting backspin is a breeze with this blade. I didn’t need to use my legs as much as I do with my typical setup, or with the other two blades I used in this session. In other words, my form can be sloppy. This is a very forgiving blade in this area. 

Hitting with another person: once I started opening up with this blade and hitting with another person rather than a robot I really started to appreciate its capabilities. Still has enough power mid-distance and the dip on the ball when it heads down toward the table is prominent. The kick caught my partner offguard a number of times, causing him to miss the ball when he tried to return it.

The soft rubber on the backhand made it hard to get hits from mid distance back over the net at times. I adjusted a bit and started landing mid distance backhands, but it took extra effort, so this blade is probably best with medium to medium hard rubbers. 

That's it for now. I'll probably play with the HG in my Thursday night league and update this with any new insights, but this is a good general review of how it handles.

Update:

After playing in league with the HG I don’t have much more to say. I kind of love this blade and then at times I want a little more power. Lifting underspin balls is a joy with this blade, and even though I have soft rubber on the BH it works well closer to the table and when I want to really dial up the spin on the ball. I was able to take over the pace in the game quite often and the only shortcoming I could identify is blocking. My Hurricane Hao II that I’m used to is exceptional at blocking and I was surprised that many times tonight when I had to block, or tried to block, the ball missed the table or went into the net. 

On the other hand keeping the ball on the table in the FH game was easier for me with the HG. I tend to try and kill the ball too often and end up driving through it when less force is necessary. I actually hit the net a few times rather than hitting past the table.

I think if I wasn’t already an EJ, with too many blades to decide between for my current go to, I would gladly pick the HG and experiment with how different rubbers work with it. This is a great blade for someone whose game is spin oriented, and with harder rubbers could give enough power for someone who plays a balance game between spin and power. 

Edited by YogiChris - 03/09/2018 at 8:07am
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2018 at 3:01am
Perhaps once the Rhyzer 50 Pro is released, I shall give this blade a try
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2018 at 12:56pm
Has anyone tried the blade with rhyzm 425 or something softer like 05fx, ELS etc?
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2018 at 5:18pm
rocketman222, are the test blade still in circulation? I'd like to try either one if possible. Thanks.
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2018 at 3:10am
Can someone compare the BBC Nine with the Hinoki Ghost?
GabrielTopspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabrielTopspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2018 at 8:47am
How is the sweetspot of the bbc nine, is it better than a viscaria or a innerforce layer alc ? speedwise, for looping and have a good catapult ? thank you very much
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2018 at 1:39pm
The Nine is geared towards more all around play, whereas the hinoki ghost is designed for attacking topspin play with the plastic ball. Also the Nine has a thin layer of carbon which gives it a big sweetspot. If you are an all wood or hinoki lover then the ghost is a must try. If you make more points with blocking and being super consistent with pushes etc, go for the Nine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabrielTopspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2018 at 7:00pm
Hello i thought the nine Was fast Like an alc blade, is There a bcc blade who is fast Like an alc blade, With an Big sweetspot, and is not allwod, carbon or arylate would ne nice, but With good Speed, spin and a High catapult, i thought of the BBc nine or quad Trip or Are BBc blades only for spin and Controll players, mhm

Edited by GabrielTopspin - 05/31/2018 at 7:00pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2018 at 7:19pm
I believe you are talking about 9-10-9, that blade is similar to ALC blades.
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 1:37am
Rocket, have you played the 9-10-9?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 12:39pm
Yes ho1ng, I have used the 9-10-9, it has thin carbon layers that give it the stability and feel of ABC blades.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabrielTopspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 12:48pm
But the blade should be only off minus, Right?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 1:09pm
Gabriel, the 9-10-9 blade is an OFF, so is the hinoki ghost, only the NINE is the one that is OFF minus.
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 10:04pm
Charlie lists the 9-10-9 as ALL+ on his website.

I have had a 9-10-9 and a skinny Triflex for many years. The discontinued Triflex is quite a bit faster than the 9-10-9.

At my all around game type paddle speed, I find the 9-10-9 a little slower than a BT555 or Ross Leidy Rapscallion, both OFF- blades. This is consistent with Charlie's ALL+ rating.

If someone is looking for a specific set of properties, Charlie can customize any blade by varying thickness, so he is a great blade builder for people who have an idea of what they want.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2018 at 12:08am
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

Charlie lists the 9-10-9 as ALL+ on his website.

I have had a 9-10-9 and a skinny Triflex for many years. The discontinued Triflex is quite a bit faster than the 9-10-9.

At my all around game type paddle speed, I find the 9-10-9 a little slower than a BT555 or Ross Leidy Rapscallion, both OFF- blades. This is consistent with Charlie's ALL+ rating.

If someone is looking for a specific set of properties, Charlie can customize any blade by varying thickness, so he is a great blade builder for people who have an idea of what they want.

Thanks for bringing up the thickness, this is what determines the speed for the most part, i have played two 9-10-9s that are OFF, but I can see how a thinner one could work as an ALL+
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2018 at 1:46pm
Charlie's test blade Ghost Hinoki came in the mail. Measuring 155x147x7mm (small!), weighing at .18lb(81.65g), impressive! Tried a number of different rubber combos on it with not-so-pleasing results in the first 2 weeks, untill a set of Stiga Mantra Ms, total weight .37lb(168g).

This setup immediately gives me a better feel and control over the previous softer rubber combos. Normal medium speed volleys tend to be too bouncy with a higher than normal throw angle, balls fly out of the table if blade angle is not adjusted. This combo thrives on my FH when I hit/loop the ball with extra lower body power. Now the blade really come to live with much more speed and ball placement. I do have a harder time on the BH loops and flips, but quick block/push/punch is excellent. However the contact sound is kind of hollow. A sound which I don't like in a blade. That's just me, maybe others find it pleasing. Is it because the HG blade is too light? Perhaps a kiri core can take care of some of the issues? 
persimmon View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote persimmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 7:51pm

Edited by persimmon - 08/15/2018 at 5:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic