Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Are carbon blades good for blocking?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Imperial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imperial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are carbon blades good for blocking?
    Posted: 10/02/2006 at 6:15pm
??
Sponsored Links

phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2006 at 6:47pm
I think blocking with any blade is fine once you adjust to it. I use a carbon blade and it blocks fine.
Blade: Whatever is close
Rubber Sheet: Whatever still has some grip.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2006 at 9:03pm
Most Carbon blades are generally good for blocking
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
joey5867 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey5867 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2006 at 7:55am

I like them for blocking.

BLD: NITTAKU Sanalion S
FH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
BH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
Imperial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imperial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2006 at 8:41am

What I meant to ask was: Are Carbon blades better for blocking than other non-carbon blades because of the bigger sweet spot?

phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2006 at 10:51am
I don't think carbon blades are particularly better for blocking compared to a slower and a lighter all-wood blade which are for better control and less speed. Blocking is about control and control blades are better for that I think.
jimmyso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2006 at 4:02pm
The more stiff a blade is the more consistent the block will be.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
DHS Hurricane 3 2.2 black
Butterfly Tenergy 1.9 red
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2006 at 9:12pm

Originally posted by jimmyso jimmyso wrote:

The more stiff a blade is the more consistent the block will be.

I agree, and since adding carbon to blades makes them stiffer, they are generally better for blocking.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
phrixion View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phrixion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2006 at 10:15pm
I stand corrected
agooding2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agooding2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2006 at 10:13am

Some carbon blades have a "catapult" effect where they give back more than you put into it.  I'm thinking about my Spintech Warp 9 (a 9 ply blade), Butterfly Primorac Carbon and Butterfly Aelous-S. 

Each of these blades gives you more speed the harder you contact them and the ball comes off the blade at a higher angle so you have to get the angle just right.  Blocks are either very fast or go off the table.  I find that it's harder to block with sidespin, backspin or short with these blades.

Generally, I find that all wood blades (especially harder, less bouncy ones) are easier to control in blocking as they have a more linear effect, so you can choose to block short or long.  Hard blades with very thin layers of carbon (like my Joola Guo 3C) seem in between, they add some speed but don't take away too much control, so I find you can still vary the spin and speed on blocks.

-- Andrew

indy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2006 at 11:05am
Allround have more control blocking than a faster blade but everything depends on the skills of the player of course
mike the best
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2006 at 3:53am

BLOCKING IS BETTER WITH FAST BLADES EITHER CARBON,ARYLATE,BORON
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2006 at 4:26pm
A lot of fast carbon blades are good for pips-out attackers. The reason is that the carbon blades aid the quick rebound characteristics of short-pips rubbers. In other words the spin from incoming topspin drives does not have a chance to bite in to the pips like it can with inverted rubber. That's why carbon blades are such good blockers. Also the speed of the blade makes the blocks faster.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
sunflex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2006 at 4:40pm
It depends on how you block. If you block hard&fast hard sponge rubber+carbon blade is perfect. If you block passive(slow) all wood blade+ control rubber is better.
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2006 at 5:08pm
sunflex u gots a gr8 combo if u speed glue close to table attacker, I love that blade with Nittaku JO bh and good h3 fh
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic