Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What does Control of a blade mean to you?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does Control of a blade mean to you?
    Posted: 03/20/2018 at 12:26am
Manufacturers often give a control rating to a blade, but don't define what it actually means. I'm interested to hear what you think control of a blade means to you.

To help answer this, think about the following:
- does the speed of the blade affect control?
- does the flex/stiffness affect control?
- do wooden blade offer more control than composite blades (e.g. carbon, arylate, etc)?
- does vibration/feedback affect the control of a blade?

So what does Control of a blade mean to you?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Sponsored Links

VSDG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSDG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 1:08am
FWIW, Control for me is in two aspects of the game, short game and service, and then everything else. As a developing two-winged looper (interpret that however you wish), everything else is mostly looping, but with some blocking and smashing too. I have two blades, a Koto-ALC blade and a DHS PF4 032, which is supposed to be similar to the Stiga allround evolution according to a reputable owner of a table tennis store in Singapore. I have definitely have more control when serving and receiving with the 032, but loops, drives, and smashes seem to land more consistently and have more directional control with the Koto-ALC blade. I generally find that with harder setups I have more control generally speaking.

-The speed of a blade doesn't really affect control for me, it's more about feeling of solidity when contacting the ball that gives me a feel of control.

-More flexy for me means more control in short game, stiffer means more directional control for topspin shots.

-Again, it's not so much about the vibration or feedback, but about the feel of solidity, however, a tiny bit of vibration does help in the short game for me.

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 3:35am
In few words, for me control is the ease to put the ball exactly where and how you want.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 5:06am
Quote I'm interested to hear what you think control of a blade means to you.

THIS is control of a blade.

Edited by zeio - 03/20/2018 at 5:08am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 5:22am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

In few words, for me control is the ease to put the ball exactly where and how you want.

+1, IMO this is it really.  And this is why different players will have wildly different opinions about control, and also why manufacturers' control ratings are pointless nonsense.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 5:48am
Control is how much spin you can create without adding speed to the ball. For a blade anyway.

passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 8:36am
Control is different to everyone to me it's more about how easily when I try and execute a stroke it comes off. For example I play a spin oriented game, I love soft equipment I use hinoki with ak47 blue. I can spin where I like however with a hard outer ply and harder non tacky rubber it would be easier to block so someone who mostly blocks will findy setup much less forgiving than a meo with a sriver g3
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 10:07am

I would amend the above to "to put the ball exactly where the technique applied dictates" but I think most people and manufacturer  define it as a larger tolerance to imprecise technique and still landing the ball on the table
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 10:37am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

I would amend the above to "to put the ball exactly where the technique applied dictates" but I think most people and manufacturer  define it as a larger tolerance to imprecise technique and still landing the ball on the table
True. But I didn´t detailed it like this because every player is limited by his own technique. For example, a 1800 player is not able to shot a 90 mph precise counter attack like Ma Long does.
So, even if he wants to do it, that shot is impossible for him and he can not blame blade bad control for not being able to execute it. It has nothing to do with blade control but with his poor technique.
A player can only have ambition inside his level, never beyond it.

Edited by TT newbie - 03/20/2018 at 11:32am
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 8:53pm
It is hard for me to answer
Sometimes I attack more sometimes I mainly block and sometimes I fish
For each style, I prefer a different blade and meaning of control changes

Edited by emihet - 03/22/2018 at 1:09am
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by emihet emihet wrote:

It is hard for me to answer
Sometimes I attack more som times I mainly bock and sometimes I fish
For each style I prefer a different blade and meaning of control changes

No, No, NO !!! You are not gunna get off that easy Mister, you ought to summarize what control looks and feels like to you.

I totally agree with the concepts emihet champions... that there are several factors involved and some of them are different for different shots and incoming balls.

For shots vs a slow incoming light spin ball a little high, I prefer to HIT and a stiff, solid, heavy, OFF to OFF++ blade is a wonder at this shot.

For countering a fast drive or medium to fast loop at the table, I love those all wood somewhat vibraty ALL to ALL+ blades or thin composite blades will allow you to hit back hard and keep it on the table.

For counterlooping at mid-distance vs an incoming medium or fast loop, the same ALL to ALL+ blade with a springy rubber (think Andro Rasant and later) is a Boss to me. 

For looping an underspin ball with heavy spin and acceptable pace, an OFF- to OFF 7 ply wood or thin composite blade with a modern OFF control rubber is sweet spot for me.

For receiving a short underspin serve, the same ALL+ wood or 7 ply OFF- to OFF blade with a non-spin-reactive rubber gives me the best control and response off the bounce and away from bounce.

For receiving a serve and changing the spin or giving it back heavy off the bounce, a non-bounce modern OFF control rubber on the 5 or 7 ply wood is it for me, I land more of these shots with higher percentage of quality shot with these setups.

For going around the ball (hit a bit away from spin axis - preferably on the side - Think HOOKSHOT contact) to control an incoming heavy topspin shot a step or two off the table, the same above setups do the job time and time again.

On often selects a blade and/or rubbers based on what ONE shot feels good - usually the mach-man fast topspin or macho-man counter topspin a step or two back... and often make a choice that is not the easiest to control for the majority of the shots they really need control on - THE SERVE RECEIVE and the MIDDLE SHOTS... and end up missing out on some shots landing on table just to feel all mach-man.

I select equipment that gives me the best balance of control of ball, spin potential, minimal spin reaction on slower impacts, pace when I hit real hard, and ability handle incoming spin based on the great majority of the shot situations I find myself involved in rallies.

Overall, for me that is the Nexy Lissom class of blades ALL to ALL+ish 5 ply wood blades or the 7 Ply Wood blades with feel and spin potential (Kim Jung Hoon) class of blades.

There are some other wood baldes and some composites I can play just fine and same level, but the two I mentioned above allow me to land a few more shots a match and that should matter to a player.

Edited by BH-Man - 03/21/2018 at 10:18pm
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 10:18pm
To one of our friends, when he was in the hunt for a playing blade, we recommended whatever has feel, high spin potential, acceptable but not uber-fast medium or top end speed, and ease of control of ball on the 3-4 most frequent shot situations he faces.

That sounds pretty simple, right? Yet, it isn't so simple all the time like emihet sez.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2018 at 9:54am
For me a blade I can't control is some combination of speed and stiffness that causes me to lose confidence in my short game. That is what I notice first anyway.
coffeeholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coffeeholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2018 at 12:48pm
I think it really boils down to speed. there's an inverse correlation. faster blades have less control. i can picture some dude in the factory playing with new models and coming up with a number off the top of his head. :P i'm sure the reality is they shoot balls into the blades and do real measurements, but it's more fun thinking these numbers are just a random dude who doubles up as a factory worker :)
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha | Yasaka Rakza 7 | Xiom OmegaIV Euro
Rubbers don't offer control. YOU are the control!
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2018 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by coffeeholic coffeeholic wrote:

I think it really boils down to speed. there's an inverse correlation. faster blades have less control. i can picture some dude in the factory playing with new models and coming up with a number off the top of his head. :P i'm sure the reality is they shoot balls into the blades and do real measurements, but it's more fun thinking these numbers are just a random dude who doubles up as a factory worker :)

I like how coffeeholic thinks, you should post more :)

Agree for the most part that control is the inverse of speed, with the exception of 1-ply hinoki blades.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2018 at 2:46pm

I think that is pretty much how they come up with the control number.  It is meaningless.  Actually it is worse than that because it is always a way to convince some poor unsuspecting person that new Brand X blade is FASTER, SPINNIER, and yet, through a proprietary secret straight from Jesus himself, the blade has MORE CONTROL!!.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2018 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

Yes. This, and Baal's first post in this thread, pretty much seem to be the best way to answer the OP question. For me, slower blades generally are easier to control.

Edited by JacekGM - 03/23/2018 at 10:04pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2018 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

I like how coffeeholic thinks, you should post more :)

Agree for the most part that control is the inverse of speed, with the exception of 1-ply hinoki blades.

what do you mean by your comment re 1 ply hinoki blades? I got a sanwei shakehands blade 1 ply hinoki (x2) and that was the most uncontrollable blade I have played with. I have no idea what the deal was with that. I am not a hitter (more inverted spinning). Yet it was not that fast at all. . Never played w anything like it

Edited by vanjr - 03/24/2018 at 4:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic