Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mjamja becomes ejejej

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mjamja becomes ejejej
    Posted: 09/19/2018 at 4:29pm
For the 9.5 years I have been playing I have not done much ejing. Early on I settled on Dawei Matrix blade and Dawei IQUL at a cost of about $45 dollars for the whole setup. When I hurt my wrist I switched to 802-40 short pips Bh and started using Big Dipper on Fh at about the same cost.

Then I switched to Yinhe PD437 (Clipper Clone) and Spectol Red short pips. Huge increase of cost to about $100 for the setup.

So after leaving Seattle, I just had to stop and visit the Paddle Palace shop in Portland. What a mistake! Some $150 dollars later I am the owner of a Stiga Clipper (master handle) with Yasaka Shining Dragron on the Fh, a new paddle case, and miscellaneous other TT accessories. I still need to get a sheet of Spectol Red for the Bh. New setup cost is about $$170. At that price I can no longer afford a spare racket.

But at least I will not be the "old guy with all the cheap chinese stuff" anymore. Now I can be the "cheap old guy who lives in a little trailer because he spent too much on TT stuff". I am expecting a letter from Yinhe thanking me for no longer using their equipment. If I am really lucky I might get a payment from TSP if I agree to switch back to 802-40. If that comes through I can afford to buy Propane for the trailer heater.

Mark - Ejing out in the cold
Sponsored Links

Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2018 at 4:38pm
Any particular reason you moved from the YinHe clone to the real thing?
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2018 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Any particular reason you moved from the YinHe clone to the real thing?

A combination of drops onto the floor, hits into the table, and bad technique in glueing/removing rubber had taken a pretty heavy toll on the PD437. It had a couple of big chips out of top ply and delamination near the edge from a table hit. So it was time for a relplacement. Picking up a paddle and rubber in person is a big plus since it is sometimes a while before my mail catches up with me as I travel. Paddle Palace did not carry the cheaper Yinhe blade and rubber so I bought the real Clipper and the closest rubber to the Big Dipper that they carried.

It could have been worse. I looked longingly at a couple of their Pro Specials on display. One was a Samsonov Force Pro with 2 sheets MXP and another was a Stradivarious with Omega V Pro. I would still have had to get a sheet of Spectol Red but I would have had a spare Fh rubber sheet. I did the math and figured out if I ate dog food for 3 months I could afford one of them, but then decided against it.

Mark - Who already eats poorly enough without having to switch to dog food.

Edited by mjamja - 09/19/2018 at 5:05pm
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2018 at 5:33pm
Mjamja is the only player who calls changing equipment once every 10 years ejing. I on the other hand do not consider myself an ej, despite what some may say.

Edited by vanjr - 09/19/2018 at 5:35pm
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2018 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Mjamja is the only player who calls changing equipment once every 10 years ejing. I on the other hand do not consider myself an ej, despite what some may say.

I changed twice in 10yrs. Of course for someone who has been known to change equipment during the middle of a point that does not seem like much.

Mark
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2018 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I changed twice in 10yrs. Of course for someone who has been known to change equipment during the middle of a point that does not seem like much.

Mark
It's a good thing they didn't yet have the new Tenergy 05 Hard, or that would have really got you going.  How do you feel about living homeless under one of our Oregon bridges?  Sleep on  the ground at night, place TT during the day.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2018 at 9:47pm
Off topic, but how do you handle the spectol red. That stuff was so fast I had to peel it off after about 20 minutes. I would gladly mail you mine, except it's in Florida and I'm in DC for a few more weeks.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Off topic, but how do you handle the spectol red. That stuff was so fast I had to peel it off after about 20 minutes. I would gladly mail you mine, except it's in Florida and I'm in DC for a few more weeks.

Maybe that is one of my problems and I do not even realize it. When I first started using it, I did not notice it being that much faster (it was faster just not hugely) than the 802-40 from Colestt. Of course that had a special sponge that Cole put on the topsheet so maybe it was faster than regular 802-40. I do not remember any playing partner saying anything about how much faster it was. The thing I most noticed about it was I could go from spinny to very dead by changing my stroke a little. Seemed much easier to do this than with 802-40.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 09/19/2018 at 10:14pm
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2018 at 10:20pm
Do you really like Spectol Red better than Spectol Blue? Back when I was playing short pimples on forehand, Spectol Blue was my go to rubber. I just didn't like the feel of the red, just too soft for my taste. 

I tried playing with inverted on both sides for about 7 months. After a short adjustment period, I can play at nearly the same level with inverted on both sides or a combo racket with short pimples on one side and inverted on the other. I found a few advantages playing with the short pimples that suit my style and I simply enjoy it more. 

I switched back to short pimples a couple of months ago, but now I'm playing short pimples on my backhand rather than my forehand. I found that Spectol Blue was better for the forehand, but SpinPips Blue is more suitable for my backhand. I've also tried both of the rubbers with the red sponge, but I find the blue superior. Have you tried it? If not, sorry for fueling your ej fire. LOLLOLLOL

Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2018 at 10:50pm
ericd937,

Can you tell me in a little more detail what it is about Spectol Blue that you find better than Spectol Red. I have not ordered a new sheet so maybe I should go full ej and switch blade and both rubbers at one time.

Mark - Hot with EJ fever.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2018 at 11:33pm
Spectol Blue is harder sponge. I found it easier to hit through spin with Blue and much easier to control in general. Also, short game around the net is much better with blue. I found the red sponge a bit bouncy. Red has more speed at low impact, but if you use any of the thinner red sponges it bottoms out pretty easily. Blue sponge doesn't bottom out, even in the 1.4 to 1.7 sponge. I'm currently playing 1.7 to 1.9 sponge (SpinPips) because I wanted a little bit more speed. I actually preferred the feel of 1.4 to 1.7, I'm undecided If I will keep the current sponge thickness or move back down in 6 months when I get a new one. Also, the speed of blue is much more linear. It's still fast, but you'll need to hit harder to generate more speed. I also feel that because it doesn't bottom out, the top end speed on hard impacts is higher than red. 

Edited by ericd937 - 09/19/2018 at 11:34pm
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 12:42am
Thanks eric. I will think some more on which one to try next.

Mark
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 1:03pm
I play a similar style, so how did Spectol blue work when you twiddled to your FH side? I like what I am hearing about it.
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic