Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Many Paddles?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DavidR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Many Paddles?
    Posted: 10/26/2006 at 2:14pm

So how many paddles have you used before deciding on the one you currently use (or the one you will be using next week)? There are so many it seems that you could spend a small fortune deciding on the exact paddle to complement your game.

I mean, do you just end up settling on one that you feel confident with? Are the differnces in the paddles really that drastic?

I won't even start on the different rubbers, that is a whole nother ball of wax

Sponsored Links

leeyong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leeyong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2006 at 2:59pm
1. Choose between a 5-ply and a 7-ply blade, normally.

2. choose a feel/wood type: I don't like balsa (hard and light, so none of the BTY carbon-arylate appeal to me) and prefer ayous, middle-ply (spruce vs ayous), and outer ply (limba, kyoto normally). 7 or 9-ply has other exoctic wood type walnut ect (for hard and fast).

3. I prefer soft and springy so my 7-ply is all hinoki. understand the characteristic of the wood construction is important in reducing the number you have to go through in picking your favourite. (for some of us, compromise is the key, since there is no one magic blade for everyone or even anyone)

I have a total of 5, (3 of them jpen 1-ply hinoki). I like the 5-ply all wood with chinese rubber and 7-ply hinoki with japanese rubber combination. (German rubber may go well with the latest and greatest high tech blade?)
BTY SC ST
BH: Bryce FX 2.1 FH: Sriver L 2.1

Stiga CL cpen
FH: Globe 999T on saviga 2.2 BH: Yasaka Mark V soft

Others: KTS, Darker speed 90, 30 (10mm) Jpen, Nittaku Septear ST, DHS 032 CS
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2006 at 5:55pm
Hi David,
     You can spend a HUGE fortune trying out different combos.
     I always have my fav bat for tournements and practice with that the most but I also have more to try or switch this rubber to that bat or try the newest stuff out there. It isn't that I think I will find the magic bullet but more that it is fun.
     Every now and then you do find something that is better for your style and then I switch. I am using a new combo now that I think will be my new setup.  I'll give it a week to make sure. Used my last setup for about 4 months. There are lots of players that will buy my used stuff, mostly beginners that I coach and want to move up to a custom bat. If they buy a fast rubber from me, I put it on a slow bat which keeps some control.
     EJ  forever!!!!!!!  
     (PS, just ordered the 3 newest rubbers and one more of my fav bats today)
silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2006 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by leeyong leeyong wrote:

I don't like balsa (hard and light, so none of the BTY carbon-arylate appeal to me)

None of the BTY A/C blades have a balsa core. The Balsacarbo is bty's first balsa blade.
Potato Face
leeyong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leeyong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2006 at 8:10pm
silvalis,
you are right, only the taksim and viscaria are balsa core. (my friend has taksim, so I thought the other viscaria clone would be the same....my bad)

wonder what iolite/cofferlait center core looks like, anyone?
BTY SC ST
BH: Bryce FX 2.1 FH: Sriver L 2.1

Stiga CL cpen
FH: Globe 999T on saviga 2.2 BH: Yasaka Mark V soft

Others: KTS, Darker speed 90, 30 (10mm) Jpen, Nittaku Septear ST, DHS 032 CS
reederc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reederc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2006 at 9:35pm

i have three blade but two are the same blade but one is cpen i started out playing cpen but after a bunch of flack from everyone at the club i tried to switch i treid three different shakehand blades before i decided that i wanted to play penhold and had to buy a new penhold (i had sold my old one) that was the same and the shakehand blade that i liked the best which is the one that showsi n my sig. 

i like all wood or glassfiber i dont like carbon it is too hard.  i like balsa and i like cork they have a nice feel to me i want to try a lighter blade though just to see how that is maybe something in the low 70s

729 bomb penhold
ltk XP
cream trancend
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2006 at 10:45pm
Iolite/TBS/Taksim all have Kiri core and Cofferlait has Hinoki core.
CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2006 at 11:14pm
i've used quite a few carbon blades then i found out about the wonders of all wood blades. after my first wood blade(yasaka extra) i've tried a few like kokutaku staysher, OC, OC CR, CL WRB, EG WRB, and darker 7p-2a and a 1 ply j-pen the bishu no1d50.
so far i like the 7 ply hinoki blades best... they go well with hurricane 3 on fh and a softer faster rubber on rpb.
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
moshimoshi52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshimoshi52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2006 at 1:59am
I've used 5 blades, and just got my 6th! The first two were premades (Stiga & TSP) that I used for maybe a year. Then, I noticed everyone else was using custom-built rackets, so I got an Avalox CPen, then dabbled with a Butterfly JPen. After about a year and a half of playing pen, I realized that shake is much better for me, so I used a defensive Nittaku shakehand blade for a year. Now, I'm looking for something with a little more oompf in the offensive department, so I got a Visse custom blade. And yes, getting up to this point cost a small fortune. It really depends how you approach the game. People who take TT casually don't really need to change blades all the time. Serious players either develop into picky players (common) or non-caring players (rare). That's when all the equipment options really take their toll. At some ideal point, a player finds a setup that satisfies their need for new "stuff" and also their ability to play "effectively" and win points. It's all a mental thing.

It's like buying an expensive car. Any (working) car will get you where you want to go. An expensive car might get you there faster, or more comfortably, or with more style. It just depends how satisfied the driver is with what they have.
silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2006 at 3:24am
A lot of people seem to mix up Kiri with Balsa. They do look marginally similar, but Balsa is a hell of a lot softer and plays completely differently.

I would also partially blame this mixup to BTYOnline, as they claim balsa there. BTY Japan claim otherwise though.

Anyway it took me about 20 blades to find "the one" when I was playing SH, though I found many I "really" liked along the way. I'm now a Cpen, tried a 1ply hinoki, was nice but I snapped it. I'm using a tube offensive now - nothing special, but very easy to play with.
Potato Face
darcycudmorepei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcycudmorepei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2006 at 8:07pm

I started with a Butterfly, Already esembled racket. Not good.

Upgraded to a Friendship blade with 2 Srivers On it. Lost, Snapped in half on leg.

Got exact same blade, but got Sriver And Friendship. HATE Friendship!

Am going to Canada Games In February, Wanted to get a racket I liked to get used to it.  Got my Donic Senso V1, With Innova And Srivr. I love it and use it all the time will get identical rakcet a week or so before games for spare.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic