Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

TBALC vs Violin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TBALC vs Violin
    Posted: 12/19/2018 at 11:46am
Hello,
I am an intermediate player, I like to play with 5 ply allwood blades mostly violin and xiom offensive s usually with tenergy. Couple of days ago I tried TBALC and I felt it is very hard to generate strong spin no matter how soft the rubbers are, but the most weird fact was the speed no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the same speed as I do with violin.
Any thoughts about that fact. Thanks to TBALC players!
Sponsored Links

AznThunder View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AznThunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2018 at 3:26pm
TBALC is a carbon blade as opposed to your all wood Violin.

Generally speaking, carbon blades are stiffer than all wood blades.
Stiffness of a blade plays a factor in your ability to spin the ball.

Given that it is stiffer and depending on your stroke, it can a bit more difficult to generate spin with it.

Not to say that you cannot spin with TBALC, you may need to adjust your stroke for it.

I also agree with @fatt that you should stick with what you have rather than going down the EJ route. Violin is a great blade and it's not necessary to upgrade if it is working out for you

Nittaku Tenaly Original
Nittaku Fastarc G-1 // Victas 402 Double Extra
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2018 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by AznThunder AznThunder wrote:

....... Violin is a great blade and it's not necessary to 'upgrade' if it is working out for you

Why makes going from Violin to any other blade is an upgrade?
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2018 at 5:13pm
Anyway isn't carbon blades meant to generate higher speed than allwood? Why do I need much much more effort to speed the ball with ALC vs violin. I don't want to change the violin cause it is my blade of choice for more than 5 years, but I was just puzzled about what I felt.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AznThunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2018 at 5:16pm
Im sorry if i offended with my choice of word.
All I meant is that each player has their 'perfect' blade.

That perfect blade might be Violin for some, not for others.
So for the those others, a blade better suited to them would be an 'upgrade'.

For example, Viscaria is a community loved blade and has very positive reviews. However, I 'upgraded' to a cheaper blade (nittaku tenaly) because it better suits my game

Nittaku Tenaly Original
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AznThunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2018 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by adishorul adishorul wrote:

Anyway isn't carbon blades meant to generate higher speed than allwood? Why do I need much much more effort to speed the ball with ALC vs violin. I don't want to change the violin cause it is my blade of choice for more than 5 years, but I was just puzzled about what I felt.

Although there is correlation between carbon blades and speed, its not necessarily the intent.

Carbon material gives the following additional characteristics
    - increase in stiffness, while possibly reducing weight
    - bigger sweetspot
    - change in quality of feedback from hitting the ball

As to your observation on TBALC being slower than violin, I might disagree since I personally think TBALC doesnt require any more effort than using Violin. In fact, many might say that Violin is better known for its control and placement rather than its speed.

1 thing that might explain your experience is the feedback. You might not feel like TBALC isnt outputing as much speed because the feedback from TBALC is different from Violin.

Just a thought.

Nittaku Tenaly Original
serr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2018 at 6:00pm
You need a shorter, sharper stroke with stiff carbon blades 60% driving 40% brushing this will give most spin and speed. You might experience power shortage if you brush too much and not accelerate fast enough
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2018 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Violin and T05 is such a great setup. I don't buy BTY but I have to say it's hard to beat such a nice combo. The kick of the Violin coupled with T05 is divine, the throw that ensues unreal, the Violin has something magic as it is slow on short game and fast on hard swings due to the incredible elasticity that does not rise on weaker strokes. It is very hard to reproduce that feel with other blades...
I couldn´t say it better, that´s exactly how I feel about Violin + T05.
I tried a lot of combinations after that but none felt so good or gave me so much confidence. I just gave it up because I changed to SP, and of course because of cost...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic