Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom Blades Made in Taiwan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 1:44am
Guys, good find!

Btw just a tip: if anyone really wants to have a feeling of yellow cypress, spend extra $40 (or so) on 1 ply yellow cypress hinoki from "i love ping pong" maker. It will give you some idea of feeling and its like x10 cheaper. If you dont like it then no need to commit to gerry's. $300. I personally got one made of what he calls "american hinoki". According to maker it meant to play similar to kiso. And to my surprise it does play similar to kiso. He also have simple scale comparing properties of various hinoki types (like speed and spin).

Update: 

Actually I re-checked prices. Unlike blade made from american cypress $39, the Yellow Cypress is way more expensive - $95. Sorry for confusion.

Edited by fmarek - 01/21/2019 at 5:06am
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
Sponsored Links

hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 12:35pm
I found this link a while ago too. I didn't think much of it because the blade doesn't look good at all. It has a small head, while only at 8.1mm it weighs 101.3g! Now that's heavy for a shake hand blade! And the grain...wide and uneven,hard to look at, scroll down and find out for yourself. Oh yea, workmanship is so..so. I'd rather spend my $85 on Kevin's Ahinoki or a BBC 1 ply cypress.
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

I found this link a while ago too. I didn't think much of it because the blade doesn't look good at all. It has a small head, while only at 8.1mm it weighs 101.3g! Now that's heavy for a shake hand blade! And the grain...wide and uneven,hard to look at, scroll down and find out for yourself. Oh yea, workmanship is so..so. I'd rather spend my $85 on Kevin's Ahinoki or a BBC 1 ply cypress.

Do you feel Gerry's blades are so so workmanship or the pingpong link? 
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
HarmonicTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 1:46pm
Gerry's is top notch handmade blade maker but ping pong site is very confusing along with the blade names not spelled right. Also something about special selection blades. Rather shop at prott.vip if I wanted special selected or whatnot if that were the case. Unfortunately handmade blades shouldn't be cheap or less than almost any other competitive rival company. Unless you have a factory or an in house lab then prices won't be soo cheap. At the same time you do get the satisfaction of what you want in your blade and what materials to build off of. So honestly ping pong link could be a cheaper alternative for the newer players but the intermediate to higher rated usa rated players would be better off with butterfly or known blade makers like Ross leidy, BBC, soulspin, etc
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 2:13pm
Ranger-man...what do you think? Of course  I am talking about pingpong link so so workmanship (or the lack of).
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 2:14pm
I was about to place an order for the SSS grade 1-ply, according to what he sent to me.  https://ibb.co/VWjbb6D. He went on to explain the rarity of the Taiwanese yellow hinoki compared to the Japanese and American hinoki, how it is harder, and takes many more hundred years of growth.  I asked to evaluate the grade for BTY's RSM G-Max, he gave a S on his scale of S, SS, or SSS (his prized yellow hinoki).  He further went on to explain that the grains of the wood is better if it's "Lightning" instead of vertical grains.  And he said even someone from China offered him more than $10,000 just to buy one of his "Not for sale" ply, and he woudn't sell it because according to him, the yellow hinoki are prohibited from harvesting.  I actually bought everything he said, but just prior to placing an order, I sought out another expert Jpen player on the forum for his advice, and instantly he said his prices are way too high.  I understood that Gerry's prices are due to the customization, but if I were to customize a blade to my liking, it would have easily been more than $700.  For that price, I could almost buy 4 Darker Jpens from TT11 already.  So I decided to forgo buying from Gerry altogether...

Definitely do think twice about the pricing as everything adds up.  Handles couple hundred NT$, EMS shipping another 8-1k NT$, this stuff is not cheap.
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 3:05pm
Wow, 700 usd is sky high price....
With that money you can buy almost 2 Darker HY blade Speed 90...

About the "lightning" grains, it is not the first time I hear about it. Double Day brand has an article on their website that says that the "> pattern" (that is how they call it, because grains are like this: >>>>) has higher hardness and elasticity, so we can infer that it has higher speed potential.

HarmonicTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarmonicTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 3:07pm
There's other blade makers out there for better. Gerry is also international so shipping isn't cheap either. But yeah I wouldn't buy a blade for $700 unless it's a collector jpen Ryu seung min, kim taek soo, athena, etc brand new lol...
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

Ranger-man...what do you think? Of course  I am talking about pingpong link so so workmanship (or the lack of).

That is what I thought but I wanted to be sure because I want to buy one of Gerry's blades. I also agree. I have seen the ping pong link before and nothing impressed me. They appear to be mass-produced blades and do not reflect the love and craftsmanship that handmade blades reflect.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 5:03pm
I like those SSS grade lightning Tyc. Such beautiful grain!!! Wouldn't mind owning one if I were a jPen player.
Gerry tried to talk me out of buying a single ply Taiwan yellow cypress because it would be too heavy and hard for a shake hand blade. I then backed up and asked for a 8.5mm Tyc with ZLC/ALC-koto, still too heavy (95g) and stiff, not going to work...he said. Now what? I asked. How about a Viscaria clone with koto-alc-limba-kiri-limba-alc-koto? I asked. He said Viscaria uses ayous, not limba, everybody else is mistaken. He said he took the viscaria apart and examined it carefully and concluded that it is ayous and not lmba as most people believed and besides, ayous is lighter and softer than limba. So his viscaria blade composition is koto(fish scale)-ALCX-ayous-kiri-ayous-ALCX-koto(fish scale), SFEX glue and hollow walnut handle for NT$4500+PP fee and shipping cost. ALCX is his inmproved denser version of ALC, SFEX glue is is a new glue he uses for his pro customers. Nice idea, got to give it more thought...
But I really want a 85g Tyc-alc-koto. I'll see if I can talk him to making a 85g 7/8mm Tyc combo blade. 
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2019 at 3:20pm
Found another custom blade maker: https://www.facebook.com/ARIEX.TAIWAN/

I know Ariex make 1 ply kiso hinoki blades but didn't know they let you pick and choose your own blank by grain, thickness and density : http://ariex-sport.com/order/phoenix-order/?fbclid=IwAR0FntXK0uC-rOYLCeckIViJkqOndFNYDQBuceir-9XfDMKbmxcrNUmS_RU. There are 300 blanks to choose from. And they give you a formula to calculate the final weight after you click on any stack of of woods. Right click for translations. Interesting...

Edited by hleett - 01/22/2019 at 3:25pm
Flobert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flobert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2020 at 4:40am
Are there some experiences with Gerry blades? Have some nice W968 or Inn ZLC blades.
DarkerMyLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2020 at 6:51am
In January I got an innerforce super zlc. Limba outer. Took about 7 weeks to receive and he is upfront about lead times.

The blade came in about 4g lighter than expected and he was willing to try and fix it but I decided to keep it. Extremely fast blade. Workmanship is very good.

If you are interested in a really fast blade I think it is still in the buy sell section. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic