FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

fineline

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fineline
    Posted: 02/15/2019 at 10:27am
anybody heard of this wood?
it's used as outer wood in some blades instead of the usual koto/limba/hinoki

the donic epox blades seem to have this.

https://schoeler-micke.tabletennis-shop.de/index.php?cl=details&anid=0e66e53d5ac45e2654facf7c564e688e&lang=0&pid=28&gclid=CjwKCAiA45njBRBwEiwASnZT5-8YS1dLbMkq5BzALJ06u00OWl8giog1gbDDzngnTuDi7Ox73F48jhoC6uoQAvD_BwE

it looks similar to koto but it's all vertical lines one next to the other.
so you can tell the difference.

joola spirit off also has this wood
http://www.joolausa.com/JOOLA-Spirit-OFF-Blade_2

Shocked

Edited by pingpungpeng - 02/15/2019 at 10:31am
Sponsored Links

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2019 at 10:37am
Calderano Foco also has this
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

Calderano Foco also has this

nice, I thought the calderano had koto top ply.
andro kanter explorer off seems to have the same composition as the calderano off+
also similar thickness.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 02/18/2019 at 2:14pm
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 3:36pm
fineline is not a type of wood. It just means a very thin top layer.
So it could be litterally anything. they might as well write peekaboo.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

fineline is not a type of wood. It just means a very thin top layer.
So it could be litterally anything. they might as well write peekaboo.

are you sure?
all the blades mentioned above have the same top-ply wood which is not koto, limba, hinoki, ayous or any other known wood.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 02/18/2019 at 3:47pm
Nightsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 4:07pm
I have to agree with hozuki in that fineline is not a particular type of wood. However it does not refer to the thickness of a veneer. It simply means that the wood grain of a veneer (in this case the top ply of a tt blade) is particularly fine (i.e "thin/long") and very evenly/uniformly compared to regular looking grain of the same type of wood! That's pretty much it.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 4:15pm
ok then what is the type of wood used as top ply in

-andro kanter explorer off
-cornilleau calderano off+
-donic epox series
-joola spirit off
-joola eagle carbon

?
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 5:22pm
what Nightsky said. Good luck figuring out the top ply. I have an unknown discontinued blade (gauder concept) that uses dyed fineline as outer ply and to this day I don't know what the wood used is.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 5:53pm
could be wenge
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2019 at 6:45pm
Due to the paint used it is hard to say what kind a wood that is, but surely I am in love with mine (two) Foco Off+
For so long time after countless tryouts of fancy and fancier stuffs, finally I can say - I am impressed
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
igorigor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorigor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 1:40am
Hozuki, Nightsky, wrong explanation.
Fineline is formed in such a way that the inferior veneers are glued together into blocks 
of approximately 250 mm thick. Then, these blocks are cross-cut and a veneer with a
 uniform structure is obtained.

https://www.lesarska.sclj.si/images/gradiva_uciteljev/gabi_dolensek/FINE-LINE.pdf

YoAss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoAss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 3:10am
That article states:

"The veneer that meets the highest quality standards is packed and shipped to the factory in Italy to be processed into FINELINE VENEERS."

This is all new to me.  Why does this process of laminating a stack of veneers, then cross-cutting them create a more uniform grain?  Averaging inequalities out by the statistics of redistribution?
Nightsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 4:24am
Originally posted by igorigor igorigor wrote:

Hozuki, Nightsky, wrong explanation.
Fineline is formed in such a way that the inferior veneers are glued together into blocks 
of approximately 250 mm thick. Then, these blocks are cross-cut and a veneer with a
 uniform structure is obtained.

https://www.lesarska.sclj.si/images/gradiva_uciteljev/gabi_dolensek/FINE-LINE.pdf

Yes, the wood grain of a fineline veneer is so evenly/uniform because
it is "artificial" (i.e. it is artificially obtained due to a certain production process).
Some people find these fineline veneers prettier than regular veneers, but I doubt
that it is (generally) superior
in terms of playing characteristics (if the veneer is indeed
 used as the top ply of a tt blade)
- because of its artificial "background"..

Edited by Nightsky - 02/19/2019 at 4:28am
igorigor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorigor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 4:26am
Originally posted by YoAss YoAss wrote:

That article states:

"The veneer that meets the highest quality standards is packed and shipped to the factory in Italy to be processed into FINELINE VENEERS."

This is all new to me.  Why does this process of laminating a stack of veneers, then cross-cutting them create a more uniform grain?  Averaging inequalities out by the statistics of redistribution?

It's just a commercial advertisement from the wood industry. The truth is: how to sell third and fourth quality veneer at a higher price.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 10:50am
so it seems like it can be made of several types of wood.
through a process they create this peculiar shape identifiable in blades like calderano off+, andro kanter explorer off, joola eagle carbon.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 02/19/2019 at 10:52am
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 12:21pm
yep and since this technique obfuscates the grain, you cannot identify the wood.
Especially when it is also dyed.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2019 at 12:27pm
in general, fineline is supposed to be hard or soft wood?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic