FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Who is a qualified coach?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is a qualified coach?
    Posted: 02/15/2019 at 8:37pm
Who is a qualified coach?
Have any of you done some ITTF level 1 coaching course or similar? 
I know Yogi_Bear is a ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

I first did mine in 2006 and finished it 2008 after 8 years you are deregistered from the ITTF website
unless you resit part of the course or do a higher level like Level 2 or sit your Coaching Course Conductor course like Yogi did
 When I did it in 2006 we didn't do the Para component etc So when I redid my level 1 last year,  I had to do my 5 hours of para coaching and other stuff to get my new certificate

I find the only a small percentage of people who do the course in NZ ever finish the whole thing and become a regesiterd coach, they become known as a club coach

Some Countries have their own systems

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Sponsored Links

bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2019 at 10:47pm
The ITTF Level 1 certificate does not make someone a qualified coach
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2019 at 11:22pm
I took the ITTF level 1 course and got certified. I agree with bard romance, it's what the IT world would call a "paper cert", it shows you have enough dedication to go get it, and not much else.

I actually thought the level 1 book was better than the level 2, that was a surprise. Level 1 is not bad for teaching beginners.

jfolsen
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 12:08am
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

I took the ITTF level 1 course and got certified. I agree with bard romance, it's what the IT world would call a "paper cert", it shows you have enough dedication to go get it, and not much else.

I actually thought the level 1 book was better than the level 2, that was a surprise. Level 1 is not bad for teaching beginners.

jfolsen
You are not certified coach anymore   Sorry my mistake I thought I saw a 2018 expiry date
sorry about that

Edited by smackman - 02/16/2019 at 4:51pm
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 12:14am
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

The ITTF Level 1 certificate does not make someone a qualified coach
Yes and no, but it should be part of the process, and a requirement for some organisations 
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 1:58am
i Do not know What is meant by the question. 

You can be a great coach without all Fancy educations, But of course they help. 

You can also have those things you mention and still Do not know much about tabletennis. 

But if course Maybe We need the things you mention to be able to call us a coach. 
CoachMcAfee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoachMcAfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 2:07am
Learning to become a coach in any sport is always a blend of education and experience.  A good coach needs both.  The ITTF Coaches Education Program helps provide a minimum level of education, not a maximum level.  When combined with a lot of hours on the table, a person can learn to become a good coach.  

The ITTF Currently has 3 levels of Coaching Courses and each corresponds with a different level of athlete and the needs of the athlete at that level.

ITTF-PTT Level 1 Course is 30 hours over 5 days and then also 30 hours of supervised post course coaching which is graded.  At the conclusion, the Coach receives an ITTF-PTT Level 1 Certificate.  The course is designed for the coach working with young beginning athletes.
ITTF Level 2 Course is 36 hours over 6 days and then 50 hours of supervised post course coaching.  This course is designed for working with intermediate level (developing technically) athletes.  It is very much a technical course with every stroke variation and all elements of footwork covered.
ITTF Level 3 Course is 48 hours over 8 days and then 80 hours of supervised coaching working with National Level Athletes.  This course covers all aspect of creating and working with National Level Athletes including how to construct tactical and strategy lesson plans and training cycles to prepare athletes for major competitions.  Also physical training, recovery, mental skills training, and much more is covered.  
The above courses have to have a one year time frame between each to allow the coaches to gain experience.  Also in Level 2 you have to score high on the exams to be eligible to take a future L3 Course.  While most coaches will pass Level 1, some do fail in L2 and only about 1/2 that pass score high enough to move on to try Level 3.

Of course all of this knowledge is not effective unless the coach also has put many hours of practical coaching into the mix.  Likewise, experience without education also limits a coach as they can only teach a limited skill set.  

All-in-all, it takes a lot of education and experience of coaching athletes at all levels to become a qualified Coach.  There is no quick path and no piece of paper makes a coach.  Coaches are always judged by the athletes they create and few people ask about certifications.  Coaches take courses because good coaches are also good students and hungry to find ways to improve their coaching skills.
The most dangerous coach is the one who thinks they know everything and stops learning themselves.

More than 50,000 coaches have become certified in the ITTF System.

Coach McAfee, ITTF International Course Conductor Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 and Trainer 

Edited by CoachMcAfee - 02/16/2019 at 2:10am
Coach McAfee
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 8:26am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

jfolsen
You are not certified coach anymore

John is listed in the ITTF coaching list as a certified ITTF Level 1 Coach, and in the USATT coaches list as a certified USATT State Coach. Why would you say he is not?
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

jfolsen
You are not certified coach anymore

John is listed in the ITTF coaching list as a certified ITTF Level 1 Coach, and in the USATT coaches list as a certified USATT State Coach. Why would you say he is not?
-Larry Hodges
Hi Larry my eyes yesterday saw it wrong, so my apologies to John he still has some time left
 the strange thing is I looked a few times before posting and was still wrong, I do see a couple of USA coaches still on the list that are expired by a month or so but not John

When I first finished the course in 2008 all the other Coaches who passed at the time are now no longer listed
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2019 at 5:11pm
I like what Coach McAfee has written above, I hate copy an paste of big posts Smile
His explanation is well written and he has all the information 

My reasoning for writing Qualified coach is in some Countries like ours you have to have your level one Cert or at least be in the process of finishing it, to be able to become a National Coach
When coaching at schools funders want to know that I have something on paper to say I have knowledge and training to do my job, sometimes experience or level of play is only part of it, 
We all know that  ex Provincial player is just going to flocks of students regardless of their coaching level
but for me the Level one certificate is just some thing all coaches should or could do even if it is to share knowledge 

I found that doing my level one and my resit I rubbed shoulders with great people and gleamed information just from being near them and watching their approach, and have no doubt that if I did my level two I would benifit from that enviroment as well

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic