Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mysterious Popularity: MX-P, G-1, Rakza7, Vega Pro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Mysterious Popularity: MX-P, G-1, Rakza7, Vega Pro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2019 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

The data comes from the same website.

Exactly what is so hard to understand?

FdT

There are many promoted rubbers like R47 that are not in the top 10.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

Slowhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2019 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

The argument concerning the sales popularity of the top selling rubbers at a certain company being dominated by the 4-for-the-price-of-3 discount is an interesting one.  It is alleged by some that this is the primary reason for the specific sales results, implying that the top selling list would be substantially different had there been no discount feature influencing the buyers.

A valuable contribution to this argument and this discussion would be lists by those advocates of this position of what, in their view, would be the top selling list absent the currently available discount.

I'd also be curious to see what people think would be the top selling rubbers absent promotion. What if the price of every rubber were the same (maybe have to exclude Tenergy and H3 national)?
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2019 at 3:48pm
And after we are done with this fascinating discussion about which rubbers SHOULD be bestsellers (but somehow are not), may be we should cover another exciting topic, like "Who should've won the last WTTC or competition of your choice, instead of the actual winner".
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2019 at 5:08pm
Can anyone compare the G1 to the Vega pro to the mxp?
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2019 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

Can anyone compare the G1 to the Vega pro to the mxp?

Sure. G1 very similar with Vega Pro. High throw and high spin, control is good. Suited more for control brush looping. G1 better medium gears, VP better high gears. G1 catapult more linear and sets in earlier.
MX-P is faster, has lower throw, less control and better for direct playstyle driving through the sponge.
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2019 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Dream1700 Dream1700 wrote:

The 10 Best Selling Table Tennis Rubbers of 2018 at Tabletennis11.com!

10. Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Orange
9. DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
8. Tibhar Evolution MX-S
7. Tibhar Grass D.TecS 
6. Xiom Vega Europe
5. Xiom Vega Pro
4. Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft
3. Yasaka Rakza 7
2. Nittaku Fastarc G-1
1. Tibhar Evolution MX-P

Some of these rubbers have been around for almost 10 years  (e.g. Vega Pro was introduced at the end of 2009). The list does no cover Butterfly because TT11 does not sell their rubbers to most countries.

[EDIT]: I see someone already posted what I posted. So there you go.

They're the most popular on TT11 because TT11 offers them with a 3+1 sale (one for free). That's the reason.

I emailed TT11 and asked them why they don't simply allow ALL rubbers in a 3+1 sale, where the free one is the cheapest of the rubbers in the deal, like all the local shops here do, but they said it won't work for them for some reason. I'm not sure why but I don't work there.

It seems really silly to me (not knowing their business model), since it seems this would dis-incentivizes people from buying new and more expensive rubbers, and indeed, you can see that the top selling rubbers are the ones on sale.

Also they're good rubbers. Or at least a known quantity. I wouldn't say they're all better than the newer rubbers but generally...

Edited by Lightzy - 02/27/2019 at 8:36pm
darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2019 at 9:03am
The discounts at TT11 are a little misleading.  If you spend enough money, you get a 25% discount, which is the equivalent of 4 for 3.  The discounts don't add to each other, so the biggest one applies.

What i don't understand is why there is any mystery about the popularity of the top rubbers at TT11.  They are all perfectly acceptable rubbers, with slightly differing characteristics. MX-P has been the goto non-Tenergy for some time, G1 is enjoying a revival of interest on the forums.  Rakza 7 and Vega pro are long term favourites.  Apart from runaway EJs, people tend to buy familiar equipment. And, the list doesn't indicate absolute numbers, so the differences in sales could be in single figures.

Plus, as has been pointed out, there are 46 different rubbers on the 4 for 3 promotion. AFAICS, they are all ESN rubbers, which are the most popular anyway. Unless they all sell in exactly the same numbers (very unlikely), some have to be at the top of the list.  I suspect that Butterfly products would be up there if they could ship them worldwide.

DHS Hurricane series and other Chinese rubbers are available from China at lower cost, so TT11 is much less attractive for these.  And as is often the case, the pre-discount prices at TT11 are not hugely competitive and even with the discounts, not necessarily great.  GA8, which is made in Germany, is cheaper from China. Remember that European orders attract roughly 20% VAT, so the prices shown to shoppers in the US and Australia seem that much lower.   OTOH, we pay no import duty on goods from the EU.  On the other other hand, I have never paid either VAT or import costs on goods from China, and I can order a single £30 item which will be sent free shipping.  I never place such a low value order at TT11.

So, no mystery really.  People like some stuff that is offered more than other stuff.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2019 at 10:50am
Originally posted by darucla darucla wrote:

The discounts at TT11 are a little misleading.  If you spend enough money, you get a 25% discount, which is the equivalent of 4 for 3.  The discounts don't add to each other, so the biggest one applies.

What i don't understand is why there is any mystery about the popularity of the top rubbers at TT11.  They are all perfectly acceptable rubbers, with slightly differing characteristics. MX-P has been the goto non-Tenergy for some time, G1 is enjoying a revival of interest on the forums.  Rakza 7 and Vega pro are long term favourites.  Apart from runaway EJs, people tend to buy familiar equipment. And, the list doesn't indicate absolute numbers, so the differences in sales could be in single figures.

Plus, as has been pointed out, there are 46 different rubbers on the 4 for 3 promotion. AFAICS, they are all ESN rubbers, which are the most popular anyway. Unless they all sell in exactly the same numbers (very unlikely), some have to be at the top of the list.  I suspect that Butterfly products would be up there if they could ship them worldwide.

DHS Hurricane series and other Chinese rubbers are available from China at lower cost, so TT11 is much less attractive for these.  And as is often the case, the pre-discount prices at TT11 are not hugely competitive and even with the discounts, not necessarily great.  GA8, which is made in Germany, is cheaper from China. Remember that European orders attract roughly 20% VAT, so the prices shown to shoppers in the US and Australia seem that much lower.   OTOH, we pay no import duty on goods from the EU.  On the other other hand, I have never paid either VAT or import costs on goods from China, and I can order a single £30 item which will be sent free shipping.  I never place such a low value order at TT11.

So, no mystery really.  People like some stuff that is offered more than other stuff.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with razka 7 or other somewhat older rubbers. Same for most on the list. Sure there are other newer rubbers out there, but the newest generation of ESN rubbers are not significant steps forward imo. 
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2019 at 3:50pm
Except you have to buy 8-20 rubbers (premium to non-premium) to get a 30% discount, while you can get 4 rubbers (more sensible) with a 33% discount on the 3+1.
Also, just so happens that all those rubbers are on the 3+1.

I think it explains it away fairly well
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2019 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

Except you have to buy 8-20 rubbers (premium to non-premium) to get a 30% discount, while you can get 4 rubbers (more sensible) with a 33% discount on the 3+1.
Also, just so happens that all those rubbers are on the 3+1.

I think it explains it away fairly well
3+1 means you get 4 and 1 is free, 1 is 1/4 or 0.25 or 25%.
3+1 is not as good a saving than spending $300 and getting 30%.

Oops brainfart.
Yes, of course, its a 25% discount. 
But still u have to order 8 absolute premium rubbers to get that level of discount and thats just silly. Or 20 non premium ones.
Or like 10-11 rakzas or vegas etc.

Its no wonder the 3+1 is popularizing certain rubbers

Edited by Lightzy - 02/28/2019 at 6:28pm
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 7:07am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I suspect some of the buy 4 for the price of 3 may help sales of some of these. 

Smart!
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 7:16am

DHS Hurricane series and other Chinese rubbers are available from China at lower cost

I am not challenging this statement but would like to know where I can get Hurricanes cheaper than from TT11 ?

Thanks
darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 7:38am
Originally posted by fmarek fmarek wrote:

DHS Hurricane series and other Chinese rubbers are available from China at lower cost

I am not challenging this statement but would like to know where I can get Hurricanes cheaper than from TT11 ?

Thanks
I normally buy from Aliexpress, Chinese Ping Pong, GH Sports or similar.  Remember, you are quoted a cheaper price on all products when you view TT11 from Australia, and that prices on Aliexpress generally include shipping, for any amount.  All member states of the EU are liable to pay 19% VAT (or similar, I think that is the rate in Estonia), so that the price we see on TT11 is that much more.  (Who knows what will happen to UK after Brexit? RQ.)

Incidentally, I am getting a malware warning about TT11.com when I try to open it in a browser today.  Probably a false positive.
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 7:51am
Quote Remember, you are quoted a cheaper price on all products when you view TT11 from Australia, and that prices on Aliexpress generally include shipping, for any amount.  All member states of the EU are liable to pay 19% VAT (or similar, I think that is the rate in Estonia)

I did not know that. I also buy from Ali

Incidentally, I am getting a malware warning about TT11.com when I try to open it in a browser today.  Probably a false positive.

Me too. I am full time software engineer. These warnings usually mean what they mean. When I saw the message I stoped right there and did not go.
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 11:29am
Originally posted by fmarek fmarek wrote:

Quote Remember, you are quoted a cheaper price on all products when you view TT11 from Australia, and that prices on Aliexpress generally include shipping, for any amount.  All member states of the EU are liable to pay 19% VAT (or similar, I think that is the rate in Estonia)

I did not know that. I also buy from Ali

Me too. I am full time software engineer. These warnings usually mean what they mean. When I saw the message I stoped right there and did not go.

I get malware warning today as well. TT11 got hacked Cry . this is the first time I see this and I visit their site regularly.

TT11 is great for US customers. Usually, I can get a package in 2-3 days (I am on the West Coast). They will pick blade weight for you if you request it. This is priceless for those of us who are weight sensitive. They carry excellent selection of rubbers in different thickness. With Aliexpress usually you can't pick weight or thickness and it can take a month to reach US.
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 11:53am
Their 4 for 3 promotion is one of the reasons I decided to switch back to the MXP from V>15... even though I slightly prefer Victas and Tenergy overall. I am just not at a level where the difference matters that much. The mix and match option is amazing since my 9 y/o plays Xiom rubbers and I am now back to the Tibhar. Previously I had to haunt for Tenergy and recently Victas all over the world hoping to score a decent price on a volume purchase.

FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 1:27pm
Same. Just placed an order as well this week, hope it's just the front end website and nothing worse than that. Keeping a careful eye on my CC statements.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic