Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

any stiga blades not have hollow feel?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: any stiga blades not have hollow feel?
    Posted: 02/28/2019 at 11:11am

I have tried Infinity, Celero Wood, Allround Evolution and Clipper Classic.

They all feel hollow and annoying.

Are there any Stiga woods that don't feel like this?

Maybe Rosewood or Eternity or Artic Wood?

Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
Sponsored Links

anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2019 at 11:22am
Carbonado series has pretty solid feeling blades. 
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2019 at 11:24am
Also, a lot of times, the feeling of stiga (or any blade for that matter ) changes drastically if they are super light. I faced this issue with the Ebenholz I had and the Ebenholz that my friend had felt pretty solid. 
All the clippers that I have tried felt pretty solid as well.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2019 at 2:58pm
Nostalgic off
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
lasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2019 at 8:31pm
There's a difference between hardness and density. The Eternity/rosewood will feel very hard, but the contrast between hard surface/soft center will only amplify the "hollow" feel.

Solidity/density is another matter. A more-or-less uniform structure (limba-ayous-ayous-ayous) like the Clipper is softer, shouldn't feel hollow, The harder you hit, the harder it feels (linear response). So I'm very surprised you feel that way. I've also been on a quest for "stiff, hard AND dense", so far hardwood core blades like the old Butterfly Kong Linghui Euro, DHS 08/shield brand/whatever 70-80s basswood/meranti blades feel good, very substantial/solid.

However, most modern blades go for "soft core hard shell" and http://stervinou.net/ttbdb/liste.php isn't showing anything in the Stiga range that I can perceived as dense.

The Yasaka Ebony Carbon might be good (ebony surface but carbon near the center), and Tibhar Samsonov Carbon, but I haven't tried either, might be too fast.

Edited by lasta - 02/28/2019 at 8:34pm
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 1:41am
I have owned Eternity, Ebenholz V (old plastic tag, thick NCT coating) and currently own Arctic Wood and Ebenholz VII (new metal tag, no/thin NCT coating).  All were/are 85-89 grams.

In my experience, of these blades I would say Ebenholz VII and Arctic Wood feel the least hollow and weird, though that sensation is still there.  The old Ebenholz V was the worst with lots of vibration and a very empty feeling.

Just tonight I compared my Ebenholz VII with my Joola Greenline Extreme (thick 7 ply, ebony outers) and the Stiga feels somewhat odd like its just any piece of wood versus the Joola's feel which is like the blade is an extension of my hand with nice feedback, if that makes sense.

I've always just attributed this sensation to being a Stiga characteristic because no other company that I've tried has had this feeling including Donic's hollow Senso handles.
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 1:52am
Originally posted by lasta lasta wrote:

...I've also been on a quest for "stiff, hard AND dense"...

The Yasaka Ebony Carbon might be good (ebony surface but carbon near the center), and Tibhar Samsonov Carbon, but I haven't tried either, might be too fast.

HRT Ebenholz clones might work for you.  Although the HRT compositions are the same as Stiga they are very stiff.  The HRT Ebenholz V I had may as well have been a solid piece of ebony--zero flex when compared to Stiga Ebenholz VII.

I agree Ebony Carbon might also be a good choice for your quest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic