Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any rubber keeps charasteristics for 4 months?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any rubber keeps charasteristics for 4 months?
    Posted: 03/01/2019 at 3:18am
I'm tired of rubbers losing characteristics after one month. Is there solid offensive non-tacky non-soft rubber which keeps characteristich for at least 4 months?
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
Sponsored Links

lasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 3:41am
Hi, what characteristic are you talking about?

If its grip, a quick steam treatment (iron, max steam, towel on top, 5-10 seconds) will loosen any dirty and bring back original grip. I've tested this on the Vega pro and topsheet is very well glued, no risk of sponge separation.

Speed? I haven't noticed too much loss from the vega.
rhaido View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhaido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 3:56am
Stiga Mantra?

At least two persons I know are using the same sheets for 2-3 months in a row with active trainings each day.
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 7:05am
Have you ever discarded a ball not because it cracked but because it's surface became very smooth and polished?

If you know what I am talking about ... think what happens to your rubber. Probably something similar. In my opinion, four months is a big ask for any rubber. 

However if you find one please let me know too. I just hope it's price is not going to be over $22 :)
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 8:29am
Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

I'm tired of rubbers losing characteristics after one month. Is there solid offensive non-tacky non-soft rubber which keeps characteristich for at least 4 months?

How much do you play and at what level? I am about 1850 on bad days and can take down 2100+ (non pips) players with ease on good days and I tend to practice for about 15-18 hours a week and my newest gen tensor rubbers last me a good amount of time.
I have had a Rasanter R47 that I had put on sometime last year and it still plays very well.
I think the key to keeping your rubbers playing great is a methodical cleaning regime. I always clean my rubbers thoroughly (with water and wipe down dry with a microfiber or dry fit cloth ) after each playing season to remove any dirt etc and always apply a sticky protective sheet for my tensor and a plain plastic sheet for my Chinese rubbers and that keeps them lively for a long time. Most of the people that I have seen complaining about rubber life tend to not clean their rubbers with as much obsession as I do.
If you have complains about your sponge losing juice after some time and all you want to do is bring it back to life then i have found that FTL booster does a great job at it with a very thin layer. 

Hope this helps! 
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 9:08am
You should try T80. You will have a pleasant surprise!
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 9:46am
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

How much do you play and at what level? I am about 1850 on bad days and can take down 2100+ (non pips) players with ease on good days and I tend to practice for about 15-18 hours a week and my newest gen tensor rubbers last me a good amount of time.
I have had a Rasanter R47 that I had put on sometime last year and it still plays very well.
I think the key to keeping your rubbers playing great is a methodical cleaning regime. I always clean my rubbers thoroughly (with water and wipe down dry with a microfiber or dry fit cloth ) after each playing season to remove any dirt etc and always apply a sticky protective sheet for my tensor and a plain plastic sheet for my Chinese rubbers and that keeps them lively for a long time. Most of the people that I have seen complaining about rubber life tend to not clean their rubbers with as much obsession as I do.
If you have complains about your sponge losing juice after some time and all you want to do is bring it back to life then i have found that FTL booster does a great job at it with a very thin layer. 

Hope this helps! 

With all due respect I find that rating range a bit hard to believe, but a good reminder to clean more diligently...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 9:58am
Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

Hope this helps! 

With all due respect I find that rating range a bit hard to believe, but a good reminder to clean more diligently...

Trust me, I find it difficult to believe too. LOLLOL
But the thing is that I have lost considerable amount of consistency since my prime days about a couple years back. 
Back when I was still in India, I was regularly playing against State level players and that got me into a solid rhythm of blocking power topspins and that is generally an area that I shine in, with or without much practice. 
However, now in US, with the lack of a solid practice partner, I am losing that touch. 
I still am able to feed off of powerful topspins and thus any strong player that has a consistent topspin faces some difficulty against me. 
That is how I am able to defeat some of the 2100s here (or get the matches very very close).

On the other hand, most of the players that I have played against that have lower than 2100 rating, tend to have very unconventional game style or use pips (so many pips players here) and without having a solid attack practice, defeating them becomes a challenge and thus I am still hovering around 1800s in league play. 
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 10:15am
The OP needs to mention how much they play a week. If you play 2 hours a session, once or twice a week then almost any rubber lasts 4 months without a table accident. If you train it will last less than just matches (imo) and if you are training 20 hours a week then 4 months is just not reasonable.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 5:47pm
I'm currently playing 20+ hours a week. Tenergy 80 lasts a heck of a long time. I can get at least 3 month out of a sheet. After the sponge starts loosing its ooomph, you can put a thin layer of booster on the sponge to bring it back to life. I can get an additional 3 months by doing this, so 6 month or more you can make it last. I would like to note that the topsheet chips around the edges, but that doesn't impact the performance of the rubber. Also, if you boost it right out of the package, it wont last that long. If you don't boost it super heavily, it last about 3 months from the point you started boosting it. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
patelaaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patelaaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 6:29pm
xiom vega europe. Lasts a long time. But do note the rubber is brittle and is prone to be damaged on the edges if you are table hitter. 
JediJesseS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJesseS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2019 at 11:40pm
Goldarc 8
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 1:41am
whne I said rubber losing characteristics, I mean overall feeling. In the first month rubber has same hardness, catapult, throw angle. After this it become slightly  mushy, loops are slower and has less spin, passive returning became harder because rubber spreads balls more, no forward kick.
I play 2 times a week, almost never practice, only tournaments and low level league. Loop both wings. T05 is best rubber for me, but abovementioned is mostly expressed for this rubber. Also for rhyzm, vega pro, aurus...
Is it maybe due to gluie lost elasticity, how often you reglue rubbers, do you peel off old glue? I use revolution no3 or donic water glues.
Or up to blade, i use korbel/treiber k/yinhe mc2?
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 3:15am

whne I said rubber losing characteristics, I mean overall feeling. In the first month rubber has same hardness, catapult, throw angle. After this it become slightly  mushy, loops are slower and has less spin, passive returning became harder because rubber spreads balls more, no forward kick.
I play 2 times a week, almost never practice, only tournaments and low level league. Loop both wings. T05 is best rubber for me, but abovementioned is mostly expressed for this rubber. Also for rhyzm, vega pro, aurus...
Is it maybe due to gluie lost elasticity, how often you reglue rubbers, do you peel off old glue? I use revolution no3 or donic water glues.
Or up to blade, i use korbel/treiber k/yinhe mc2?

I generally reglue once every 2 weeks using tear mender or revolution no3. I also have a spare setup that I use every now and then to keep the hand feeling of my main setup prominent and good.
Changing frequently tricks mind into thinking that the main setup still works as good as new. The only downside is that your consistency takes a bit of a hit but if you can manage it then this is great.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 1:41pm
Tenergy  of course   
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 4:11pm
Depends on how much you play though and how well you keep the rubber.

But I've not seen any of my rubbers hold even near to 4 months

Edited by Lightzy - 03/02/2019 at 4:11pm
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 10:03am
yesterday I reglued my tubbers(one month afer attaching, both were used and bacome slower than month ago) with revolution 3 glue, and during play rubber feel become softer and slightly bouncier and I made many unforced errors
I hate this :(
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 10:10am

yesterday I reglued my tubbers(one month afer attaching, both were used and bacome slower than month ago) with revolution 3 glue, and during play rubber feel become softer and slightly bouncier and I made many unforced errors
I hate this :(

Did you remove the old glue layer from the rubber before applying the new layers? Also, how many layers did you use on the blade and the rubber? 

Edited by anubhav1984 - 03/04/2019 at 10:10am
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 12:13pm
I didn't remove old glue, one layer on rubber, one on blade.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 12:16pm
Xiom rubbers, DHS rubbers (once they're broken into) even the non-tacky ones, generally a lot of tacky Chinese style rubbers, and Tibhar rubbers are often 3-4 months.

Edited by GeneralSpecific - 03/04/2019 at 12:17pm
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 12:27pm

I didn't remove old glue, one layer on rubber, one on blade.

For re-gluing, my recommendation would be to get rid of all the glue from both blade and rubber before applying. 
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 12:39pm
of course I removed glue from blade, but not from rubber. Do you always remove old glue? I have feeling that as sponge loses juice with time more glue is needed for retaining similar behaviour, this is why I just add one layer om rubber every month.
You always have only one layer on rubber and one on blade?
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 12:45pm

of course I removed glue from blade, but not from rubber. Do you always remove old glue? I have feeling that as sponge loses juice with time more glue is needed for retaining similar behaviour, this is why I just add one layer om rubber every month.
You always have only one layer on rubber and one on blade?

Glue doesn't make the rubbers play better. It can, certainly, make them play worse, if the glue layer is thicker than it should be. I usually apply 2-3 very thin layers of Revolution No 3 on the sponge and 1-2 thin layers on the blade every time I re-glue. The combination of 4-5 layers of revolution no 3 makes it super easy to peel off. The same is true for Tear Mender too, though I find lesser layers of Tear Mender work equally well when it comes to peeling off. The reason behind more thinner layers is to make it easier to remove the glue buildup from the rubbers.

The key is to get all the old glue off if you already have thick build-up. If it was just one layer, I wouldn't be too worried about it as long as you were able to remove the rubbers without messing the glue layer. 
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 1:10pm
I think rubbers have already 4-5 layers of old glue. You think it adds mushy feel?
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 1:15pm

I think rubbers have already 4-5 layers of old glue. You think it adds mushy feel?

Yes. A lot of layers of old glue will definitely add to the mushy feeling. I had this on my Rakza 7 for a long time and when I took off all the old glue and reglued with thinner layers, I got a lot better feeling Rakza. Try removing all the glue from the sponge before you start to re-glue and make sure that your layers are really thin. I think the best example that I can give is that you need only 5-6 drops of Revolution No 3 (from it's nozzle) to cover the area of a rubber cut to a standard size. Any more than that and you are probably wasting the glue or applying too thick a layer.
When applying the layers, make sure that your strokes are in the same direction, either top to bottom or right to left. This will ensure that the layers are formed on top of each other and this makes the glue much more easier to remove as a single layer.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 1:21pm

For re-gluing, my recommendation would be to get rid of all the glue from both blade and rubber before applying. 
And, sit the rubber for a day or so before applying the new glue
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 1:29am
Wow, after recommending Tenergy 80 a lot recently. My 2 month old sheet just got a hole in the topsheet. Recently, my level has been going up quite a bit (after getting stuck at the same level for a long time). I'm getting a lot more consistent and a lot stronger on the forehand. I'm contacting the ball at nearly the same spot on the rubber every hit these days. My coach told me that he usually replaces his forehand rubber every 4 to 6 weeks due to the same problem, but I never expected I would get that consistent. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 9:29am
Tenergy 05 or 05 hard!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic