Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What causes blade throw angle differences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What causes blade throw angle differences
    Posted: 03/02/2019 at 11:48am
I think I have a basic understanding of how pip structure, topsheet elasticity, and sponge characteristics can affect a rubbers throw.  But I have no clue what contributes to the throw angle of the blade itself.  Would love to hear some explanations.

Additionally, is the contribution of blade and rubber equal in determining throw or is the rubber contribution much more significant?

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 03/02/2019 at 12:06pm
Sponsored Links

Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 11:53am
More flexible, higher throw angle
Ingo_Ger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo_Ger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I think I have a basic understanding of how pip structure, topsheet elasticity, and sponge characteristics can affect a rubbers throw.
  But I have no clue what contributes to the throw angle of the blade itself.  Would love to hear some explanations.
Sorry for asking but is this assumption right:
Softer rubber-> lower throw
More elastic top sheet/long and wide pip structure -> lower throw
This is what I thought was right.

Additionally, is the contribution of blade and rubber equal in determining throw or is the rubber contribution much more significant?
My impression in this department was the harder the outer verneer, the lower the throw. I had the impression that going from Limba as an outer verneer to a Koto blade, the throw was getting lower.
But then there is this:
Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

More flexible, higher throw angle
I also think that stiffer blades have a lower throw. My problem right now is that a lot of the stiff blades out there have Koto as outer verneer (Viscaria, Boll ALC etc.)
I'm now asking myself, what is the main reason for the lower throw.

Edited by Ingo_Ger - 03/02/2019 at 2:03pm
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 4:09pm
I don't understand the problem with the Koto outer veneer?

FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 7:30pm

I think I have a basic understanding of how pip structure, topsheet elasticity, and sponge characteristics can affect a rubbers throw.  But I have no clue what contributes to the throw angle of the blade itself.  Would love to hear some explanations.

Mark

Faster blades, lower throw angle. The throw angle comes from the rubber but the faster the blade the faster the rebound and lower the trajectory produced by the rubber. 

Think of it this way, if every blade was bare, no rubber, theyd all have exactly the same throw angle. None at all, perfectly perpindicular to the bat. Slapping a rubber on changes things and the slower the blade the larger effect from the rubber and faster the lesser effect due to rebound speed.
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 8:32pm
Fruitloop, I think the confusion stems from the fact that soft rubbers actually tend to have a low throw while soft blades give a high throw.

It's difficult to answer this question properly because it really depends on the power of the impact. With some blades/rubbers you'll get a high arc for a powerful shot but a lower arc on a weaker shot, while other blades will give you a higher arc on lower power shots relative to harder blades but progressively flatter the more powerful the impact, again, relatively.
It's not a simple "this does this, that does that", though I guess it's simpler to say that flexible blades give higher arc because it is generally true, but there's like a whole spectrum of possibilities there.

I think this is part of why ALC is popular as a composite. It kind of 'evens out' the arc of the ball.

Edited by Lightzy - 03/02/2019 at 9:11pm
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2019 at 8:44pm
also ply thickness.
blades with thick hinoki outer layer have low throw.
lasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 2:31am
Originally posted by FruitLoop FruitLoop wrote:

Mark

Faster blades, lower throw angle. The throw angle comes from the rubber but the faster the blade the faster the rebound and lower the trajectory produced by the rubber. 

Think of it this way, if every blade was bare, no rubber, theyd all have exactly the same throw angle. None at all, perfectly perpindicular to the bat. Slapping a rubber on changes things and the slower the blade the larger effect from the rubber and faster the lesser effect due to rebound speed.

I'm with FruitLoop, all else being equal, faster blade=lower throw. Hardness, density, flex, makes no difference in itself, but may affect rebound speed in combination and affect the arc you generate.
Bob C View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2019 at 1:54pm
If you type "Tenergy Explained" into Google and then select "Butterfly
Science: All About Tenergy" it will explain "What causes bladde throw angle differences."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic