FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Old versions of rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MCollins View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old versions of rubbers
    Posted: 03/04/2019 at 3:16pm
Anyone know if old versions of rubbers are the same as new?  I got some old Omega iv Europe rubbers on a trade (unknowingly) and am wondering if they will play the same as newly purchased Omega iv Europe.  Here's a pic:

https://imgur.com/a/vlwhXYj

Edited by MCollins - 03/04/2019 at 9:58pm
My Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75703&title=feedback-mcollins
Sponsored Links

anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 4:53pm
I personally feel that the older generation tensors were a little less powerful as compared to tenergy but the newer ones are coming closer and closer and they are almost indistinguishable from tenergy now. As far as Omega IV goes, it is a good rubber from the Xiom range and like other Xiom rubbers, it is very insensitive to incoming spin and makes it super easy to open against backspin. It should fit well as a backhand rubber. 
The older generations and the newer ones don't play exactly the same. The newer ones feel a bit more powerful, especially the Rasanter and onward series. 
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
MCollins View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 7:52pm
I'd absolutely agree with that Anub.  My post was about as clear as mud.  I mean the rubbers I got were really old... before Xiom changed the design of the rubber.  Sorry about that.
My Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75703&title=feedback-mcollins
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 9:09pm
What you are asking is if Omega IV Europe from the factory changes over time, right? Is Omega IV Europe from the factory today the same as Omega IV Europe from the factory 5 years ago? Right? 

When you used the term "generations" is where someone might find it confusing as people normally talk about different generations of tensors. For example one generation is Andro Rasant, another generation is Andro Rasanter. 

Edited by ericd937 - 03/04/2019 at 9:09pm
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
MCollins View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2019 at 9:59pm
Yes, that's exactly what I mean, Eric.  I really should have worded it better.  Hopefully it's more clear now.  
My Feedback
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 2:28am
Wouldn't any change actually make the ITTF approval invalid? If the approvals aren't getting renewed and are still valid, I would assume that the brand new rubbers from factory are all same, even if they are being produced years apart. 

Also, given that ESN is an OEM that has to be functioning within a set of defined parameters for a given rubber, I would assume that they all turn out to be the same.

If it's any help, I had recently purchased a Tibhar Genius, after like 7 years and I couldn't get it to behave. I remember loving it the first time I got it in 2008-9, however, this recent sheet that I got in 2018, was just junk. 3 layers of booster also couldn't help revive it.

The earlier sheet that I had had, was an amazingly powerful rubber to play with. I remember it as being a very good Tenergy substitute from back then. The newer (in terms of manufacturing) sheet was no where close.  
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 5:44am
Originally posted by MCollins MCollins wrote:

Anyone know if old versions of rubbers are the same as new?  I got some old Omega iv Europe rubbers on a trade (unknowingly) and am wondering if they will play the same as newly purchased Omega iv Europe.  Here's a pic:

https://imgur.com/a/vlwhXYj

I haven’t play with same model so long that I could give you an answer based to my own experience but I have a friend who is quite high level player and he has been playing with T05 ever since it was released. I just happened to chat with him about this topic. He said at first few years he has to play with T05 about 2 weeks before it broke in. About 5-7 years ago it changed and after that T05 has been perfect from the first ball. He hasn’t use any boosters but he also said that he has heard that about 3 years ago there wasn’t any need for boosting T05 becouse the rubbers started to feel like a boosted one without any additional booster. 

So based on this discussion I would answer no to your question.
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 12:36pm
Part of the difference we "feel" over the passage of time is not that the manufacturer necessarily changed the rubber itself, but that the ITTF has mandated a new bigger, slicker ball to be used.  This has changed the interaction of the topsheet and the ball surface.  So it could be that it would "feel" different today vs what is felt like in the past even if it had not had any significant changes in the properties of the rubber. 

I have always heard that Sriver and Mark V have been upgraded over the years. So, it is also possible that like Sriver, Mark V and apparently Tenergy, your rubber may have undergone some changes over the passage of time.  The changes may or may not cause you any issues, but, you may have more to worry about from the natural ageing of the sheets after manufacture than from any changes the manufacturer made over the years.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
MCollins View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 3:50pm
Good points, guys.  I appreciate the expertise here.  
My Feedback
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 4:54pm
Is Tenergy, hurricane, rakza7 or any rubber the same as 5 years ago?

probably 

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 5:18pm
I saw several reviews that claimed that Vega Europe was quietly modified  by Xiom (since 2013) resulting in worse and lighter rubber.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 9:36pm
You might be talking abt the vega euro  df, I guess it was a new version entirely. Maybe they completely phased out euro  and slipped its ITTF reg no. To euro df, if that is even possible  
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2019 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by nv42 nv42 wrote:

You might be talking abt the vega euro  df, I guess it was a new version entirely. Maybe they completely phased out euro  and slipped its ITTF reg no. To euro df, if that is even possible  

the several reviews I mentioned were regarding Vega Europe (not DF) before and after ~2013. Those people could still be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic