Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

need some help on my play

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reederc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reederc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need some help on my play
    Posted: 11/16/2006 at 11:13am

hi there i need some serious help from anyone that wants to give it first off let me tell you how i play so that my narrow things i play cpen and can rpb ok i need to work on that to make it more consistant but i like to hit topspin loop forhands and play smooth rubber on both sides right now that is dawei inspirit and sprungfedder g3

my problem is that i have been going to a club for about 8 months now and have not won a match and i lose to peopel in their 70s that can barely walk 

my problemis that i always feel out of position and they dont even have to hit hard winners to get the point so how do i get in better position after i hit a shot where should i be moving in relation to where i hit the shot. 

also how do i work on footwork, and tie in solid strokes? anything you can offer would be great

729 bomb penhold
ltk XP
cream trancend
Sponsored Links

Budric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2006 at 11:18am
hahaha, I know exactly how you feel. Old guys, especially with raquets/rubbers as old as them are a force to be reckoned with.

No advice from me though.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2006 at 8:16am
first respect yr opp. That will enable you to appreciate why they beat you.
In simple terms racket sports are about playing one more good shot than your opponent.
So pick the weakest player that beats you and aim at returning whatever (s)he sends over, analysing which shots are the problem ones. It might take some months but you can do it. And you'll probably realise that those players were better than you thought.
Another general lesson is the value of length. In tt bad length is any long ball more than 12 inches short of the end line or short ball more than eighteen inches from the net. These are beginner standards. At a high level its much tighter.
So make a conscious effort to make your long balls longer and your short balls tighter. Note that though its counter intuitive this means playing higher over the net for long balls.
Also try to appreciate how the good length shots from your opponent work, by pressuring you to move.
When you understand whats going on your progress will be faster.
good luck. I can still remember being the weakest in my club forty years ago!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2006 at 8:43am
In your 8 mths at the club have you ever gone to any training sessions?
Potato Face
ryu seungminfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2006 at 10:39pm
best solution:find a good coach
blade:kokutaku super
rubber:xiom omega 3
right hander

nothing without labour
reederc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reederc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2006 at 11:08am
there is not a a coach at my club so i dont have access to one there are some very good players and i get tips when ever i can but progress is slow
729 bomb penhold
ltk XP
cream trancend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2006 at 12:32pm
u can ask for information for coaches, since there are good players in your club their contacts should be wider than most people and should be able to recommend u a coach
right hander

nothing without labour
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2006 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by reederc reederc wrote:

I get tips when ever i can but progress is slow

Don't worry. This is normal. You will need at least 3 years (at least 2 nights a week training) until you can rightly call yourself a TT player.
This is a very complicated game with many different but equally effective styles, techniques and strategies. After 3 years you can start to go to tournaments and slowly improve your skills in real competition.

reederc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reederc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2006 at 3:03am
i think three years is a little long but maybe you are right i have asked and most of the good players got great coaching before they moved to my
729 bomb penhold
ltk XP
cream trancend
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2006 at 1:19pm
If these 70-yr old players are keeping you out of position, you're probably not making them move. Aim for the corners, make them run. If they're 70, it shouldn't be all that hard. If you're aiming for the middle, they have much more control to make you run around in circles.
-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
alfie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2006 at 5:04pm
agree with pimpmyracket,if you can imagine the opponents 1/2 of the table then think of the dead center of it now draw a square about 2 feet by 2 feet,now you will have a square in the center of your opponents 1/2 of the table DON'T put the ball there
Blade Xiom Control 3/ALL+
BH Andro impuls speed
FH H3 Provincial
Tibhar CTE
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2006 at 6:13pm
Old people are generally so much more skilled than beginners it isn't even funny. Sure, they are slow, but they still have the skills from when they were young ... often they were much better players than you will ever be.
The only way to beat them is to put them under pressure, but beginners simply don't have the necessary tools to do that. And if they have the tools they have to be good enough to actually use them in a real game to impose their game on the old man. This tends to be very difficult once the old man gets the impression that he might actually lose to such a bad player like you (he still knows how good he was 50 years ago). At this point the old man usually gets much better and he has tons of mean tricks up his sleeve ...

I happen to know several old men at 70+ who are notorious gatekeepers. All up and coming youth players in their clubs try to beat them but it takes years until they manage to do so. And if they do there are other gate keepers - even more feared ones.

Don't worry, but this is normal. TT is a difficult and very complex sport and fast legs and great technique isn't enough to win against a really skilled experienced old player. You can actually learn very much from playing these people. If you show them respect and ask them for help they'll usually have plenty of good advice for you.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2006 at 8:51am
Originally posted by pimpmyracket pimpmyracket wrote:

If these 70-yr old players are keeping you out of position, you're probably not making them move. Aim for the corners, make them run. If they're 70, it shouldn't be all that hard. If you're aiming for the middle, they have much more control to make you run around in circles.

Dont quite agree. first play to shoulder(crossover point), which might well mean aiming to the centre , good length of course. When opp moves to one side THEN play in the hole at the corner.
Playing first to the corner often gives yr opp chance to trump yr angle shot. TT is a bit like Judo in this respect- first get opp off balance THEN throw them.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
reederc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reederc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2006 at 12:24am

thanks guys keep it coming

the funny things is that the old guys all play with very funky styles not your normal tops spin player but they manage to get the ball on the table all the time

729 bomb penhold
ltk XP
cream trancend
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2006 at 7:13pm
Topspin became widely used in the 1970ies. Most old players started playing TT in the 1940ies with cork or sandpaper on their blades instead of todays rubbers

Old school TT was based on push, block, forehand drive for preparation and smash (especially backhand smash) for attack. Players were truely allrounders. Cut defense, block, drive and smash. The game was more a positional waiting game for a "good" ball i.e. a good ball to smash. Games lasted very, very long and were physically extremely demanding. In the 1970ies there were no serious players over 50 because the sport was too hard for old people. Today's TT is very different in this respect and this is a very good thing.
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2006 at 8:34pm

Originally posted by YATTP YATTP wrote:

Don't worry. This is normal. You will need at least 3 years (at least 2 nights a week training) until you can rightly call yourself a TT player.
This is a very complicated game with many different but equally effective styles, techniques and strategies. After 3 years you can start to go to tournaments and slowly improve your skills in real competition.

i must disagree with this, i have been playing about one year, about two-three nights a week, and i am now a 1475 player.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2006 at 8:35pm

TIP: do not play players you can easily beat, play good ones who wil give u tips, but not so good they will dominate you. ask nicely for tips, do not play many games TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN

85% training

15% games

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2006 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

i must disagree with this, i have been playing about one year, about two-three nights a week, and i am now a 1475 player.

I have been training children for quite some time so I have some experience in this field. I am not familiar with US TT and I don't know how good a rating of 1475 is. However, children learn much faster than adults. I have seen only very few children who were able to beat good experienced adult players from the lowest German TT leagues after 3 years of training. If they are very talented they can do that after 3 years and less but certainly not after 1 year - simply no way. After 1 year of intensive training - and I mean systematic training with licensed coaches - the very best will have a forehand topspin against backspin that is good enough to enable them to open up the game a few times and get into fast game (and their fast game is pretty good), but all of them (even the good ones) have serious trouble to open up against a heavy push. After one year their backhand topspin against backspin is still so weak that they can hardly open up with their backhand against medium heavy pushes. Their level of consistency especially on the backhand is so bad that the adult can simply push and block them to death over their backhands. After 2 years the talented children may be able to open up more consistendly with their forehand, but their backhands are still very weak and the outcome is pretty much the same. They are pushed and blocked to death over their weak backhands. These children have no problem to open up against other children with 2 years of TT experience because their pushes are of much inferior quality than adult pushes and much less deceptive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2006 at 9:51pm
not many people can adapt to old people's play style. they use funny bat, rubbers that u never ever seen before. some dont, but some does. their playstyle are mostly very weird. most, not all. most of them have weird strokes etc. the mentality of people last time was to just get the ball in. even if their stroke were ugly or what they dont care. what is important is they get the ball in and win
right hander

nothing without labour
reederc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reederc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2006 at 12:32am
yeah they do hit the table alot
729 bomb penhold
ltk XP
cream trancend
thunderspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunderspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2006 at 1:15pm
heii i can give one suggestion to u.. tht is do some shadow practice of ur own..while shodow practicing u just keep in mind tht ur feet are moving gud..thts all..it may help...
blade:stiga op carbo
fh:TG SKYLINE-3
bh: BRYCE FX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2006 at 1:37pm

Topspin became widely used in the 1970ies. Most old players started playing TT in the 1940ies with cork or sandpaper on their blades instead of todays rubbers

Normally I completely agree with YATTP but:
Actually though some youth club players might have been using cork or sandpaper in the fifties, Most serious tournament players from late twenties onwards used short pimpled rubber with a cloth backing (like the Reisman bats). There was nothing very scientific about it, indeed the same pimpled rubber was used for cricket wicket keepers gloves and soccer goalies gloves as well. Plain wood was allowed untill the eighties. As far as i know no world championships were won with cork, sandpaper or plain wood
And no I wasnt playing in the forties but my dad was
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2006 at 9:38pm
sometimes it's not your fault that u lose to old man. some people have the skill to beat the old man. their skills are way higher than the old man, but it's just that the old man's ball is so weird he can't adapt to the old man's play style, or ball
right hander

nothing without labour
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic