FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

ABS Balls become brittle with age

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ABS Balls become brittle with age
    Posted: 06/17/2019 at 4:47pm
I am not going to mention the brand name because I think this is likely a problem common to all ABS
 balls.

Twice now I have had it happen that when we used brand new in the box premium 3 star balls they broke very quickly due to the fact that they had been stored for about a year prior to use.

Last week in a training session with 8 players we lost 9 balls over the course of several hours. When it is  $3 a ball, this is pretty damn aggravating.

We already knew that plastic balls are more sensitive to extreme temperatures, but they also seem to become brittle with age, even when kept in a temperature controlled environment.

Thanks again ITTF.
Sponsored Links

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 4:56pm
You must be kidding me; I have 5 boxes of DNS D40+ and 2 boxes of Nittaku 3-Star Premium sitting in my closet Unhappy
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

I am not going to mention the brand name because I think this is likely a problem common to all ABS
 balls.

Twice now I have had it happen that when we used brand new in the box premium 3 star balls they broke very quickly due to the fact that they had been stored for about a year prior to use.

Last week in a training session with 8 players we lost 9 balls over the course of several hours. When it is  $3 a ball, this is pretty damn aggravating.

We already knew that plastic balls are more sensitive to extreme temperatures, but they also seem to become brittle with age, even when kept in a temperature controlled environment.

Thanks again ITTF.

Definitely not common to all ABS balls. I am multi balling with balls I have had in boxes for over a year.  There must be another specific factor in play.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

balls.

Thanks again ITTF.

Definitely not common to all ABS balls. I am multi balling with balls I have had in boxes for over a year.  There must be another specific factor in play.
agreed, I have a box of six that I have used for about a year and none of them broke yet 
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 6:03pm
Don't know why you don't want to mention balls by name, you did mention that they cost $3 per ball, so highly likely Nittaku unless you are buying overpriced butterfly balls.

I have some DHS D40+ balls that at least a year old. They play the same.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 7:35pm
YES, YES, THIS ALL LOOKS QUITE PLAUSIBLE.

Aging degradation of ABS plastics is a scientificaly proven phenomena.

Quality of DHS balls of ABS plastic is apparently varying from batch to batch.    And some of the ABS batch may get cracky with time.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/229602127_Measurement_of_aging_effects_of_ABS_polymers
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2019 at 10:21pm
The first time it happened, I suspected it was the age of the balls, but thought it could also be a bad batch, or the UPS truck was too hot etc. 

When it happened last week, the breaking problem immediately stopped when we started using balls from a more recent shipment. This is not our regular ball, but we do use them at least a half dozen times a year when we want to prepare for upcoming tournaments using the same ball. Other than the old balls we never had any breaking problems.

Unfortunately it is not a quick and easy thing to replicate the problem, as it requires that the balls are stored for a year prior to testing. 

Edited by alphapong - 06/17/2019 at 10:23pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2019 at 11:17am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

YES, YES, THIS ALL LOOKS QUITE PLAUSIBLE.

Aging degradation of ABS plastics is a scientificaly proven phenomena.

Quality of DHS balls of ABS plastic is apparently varying from batch to batch.    And some of the ABS batch may get cracky with time.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/229602127_Measurement_of_aging_effects_of_ABS_polymers

Igor attacking anything chinese.. igor quit the booze change sport china domination is for good they will make you cry over and over your rusian comrades are too weak their russian booster needs some fix
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2019 at 11:38am
Abs is a very durable plastic used everywhere. Cars have many abs parts which get many cycles of hot and cold. Lego are abs.

Sunlight will make abs brittle, but it takes a long time. Leave a Lego outside and see how long it takes to get brittle.

Balls sitting in a closet will not get brittle in a year. I have DHS abs balls with date codes in early 2017 and older NP40. They play fine.

Any bad abs balls were very likely bad from the start.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic